[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: ksY8Rak.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ksY8Rak.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Starting my path in mathematics, any suggestions on mathematicians to get up to speed on?

Also do you believe math will unlock the secrets of the universe that we are looking for?
>>
>>7746412

use something like anki or even physical flashcards so you can always be grinding out memorization during down time
>>
Where are you right now in your journey?
>>
>>7746412
do you believe math will unlock the secrets of the universe that we are looking for?
No, because math does not reflect reality.
>>
File: math pure and applied.png (303 KB, 744x1179) Image search: [Google]
math pure and applied.png
303 KB, 744x1179
>>7746831
>No, because math does not reflect reality.

There hasn't been a single discovery in pure math that hasn't found itself applied to the world. Don't knock it because you're too stupid to understand it.
>>
>>7746849
Mathematicans are doing math because math.

For any form of reflection what the hell you are doing you need philosophy. There is a reason why math and philosophy is quite the popular combination.
>>
Study geometry and linear algebra first.

Analysis is a dead field.
>>
>>7746831
>>7746849
this

math is used for measurement and prediction of known events. it doesn't discover new things and it is mostly up to philosophy, everything has philosophy, to get interesting results.

having an idea of new materials and new ideas in general is what counts.

a mc donalds employee can come up with an idea and use a calculator to hone in on the measurements.
>>
>>7746849
sensible chuckle
>>
>>7746807
Currently in Calc 1, just started it in college. But it's a slow grind and I know there is more to math than just sitting in a classroom.
>>
>>7746849
>There hasn't been a single discovery in pure math that hasn't found itself applied to the world.

You can apply a model to the world to get a nice approximation but It's not totally true.
>>
>>7746412
> any suggestions on mathematicians
Mathematics is not philosophy. To become a good mathematician, you don't read on specific mathematicians, unless you are in the PhD level.

>Also do you believe math will unlock the secrets of the universe that we are looking for?

Of course I do, but I may be biased because I study mathematics. However, every year results in applied sciences (say, physics) show that the universe is slightly more complicated than we previously thought it to be. Also, when big jumps in science happen we show that the universe is much more complicated than we previously thought it to be.

Decades ago just taking a minor step into what other geometric spaces might look like gave us general relativity. Who knows where the missing pieces are lying.

And another fun thought to inspire yourself to keep studying: As of now, pure mathematics is the field of study that yields the least applicable results today. But if they are the least applicable today, then they must be the most applicable tomorrow.
>>
>>7747159
>And another fun thought to inspire yourself to keep studying: As of now, pure mathematics is the field of study that yields the least applicable results today. But if they are the least applicable today, then they must be the most applicable tomorrow.

I never thought of it like that. Incredibly insightful man. Thanks for that moral boost.
>>
>>7746802
What do you use anki for as well as memorising formulae?
>>
>>7746924
Kind of dumbfounded by how somebody can profess with such confidence the most idiotic statements

Do you realize that there have been discoveries in pure mathematics which have later been used to solve real world problems? Advances in jet propulsion and aviaonics wouldn't have been possible if abstract mathematical discoveries had not preceded them.

Mathematics are like the skeletal outline of the universe. They're like magic spells, even. Pretty much everything can be reduced to mathematics.

Get off this board.
>>
>>7747299
Don't bother yourself.

I am incredibly baffled by his phrase that everything needs philosophy but that gives it away.

He is a philosophy student who is desperately trying to be of any value to society and came to /sci/ only after realizing that the philosofags in /his/ are no better than the mc donald cashier who exclaims 'you can no muffins' before giving you your oder.

Let him be. Argumenting against him would be like kicking a homelessman. He has no future and no value for society but just let him be until he dies of severe infections that trigger brain damage.
>>
>>7746849
You seem to have misinterpreted my point here. Formal math, as OP is seemingly interested in, was not developed with any intent of mirroring reality or explaining the universe. It was developed as something in its own right, something to explore itself. Knowing math alone will give you no knowledge of anything other than math and logic. If you want to understand the "secrets of the universe" study physics and chemistry and the other natural sciences. Yes, math just so happens to be an invaluable tool used in those sciences, and obviously advances in pure math are often if not always relevant to the "real world" in some application, but the sciences and the applications are the tangible universe, not the math itself.

Now this bit is my personal opinion, but I find the real beauty in math is that it isn't tied down to reality in the same way the natural sciences are. You can abstract away with no regard to what's physically possible so long as you keep the required consistency.
>>
File: 1363145912187.jpg (7 KB, 209x200) Image search: [Google]
1363145912187.jpg
7 KB, 209x200
>>7746412
>Also do you believe math will unlock the secrets of the universe that we are looking for?
When math gets its head out of its ass in regards to thinkinginfinity in math has anything similar to do with infinity in physics

... and at that that both should take a lesson from biology and geo structures on what is that that becomes infinity
>>
>>7746802

Memorizing formulas is the road to mediocrity in mathematics. It's the last ditch tactics of those who don't understand the mathematics.
>>
>>7746412

If that meas that you are a first year undergraduate student (or just changed majors) don't even think about specializing. Study all the mathematics that you can. What you don't understand, find someone to help so that you learn it.

This will get you in better shape for grad school where you will specialize. Even then, you will take a variety of math courses outside of your specialization.
>>
>hurr maths can be applied to real world
how does it even matter
mathematicians dont do maths because they want to help physicians
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.