[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm really frustrated.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Sem título.png (303 KB, 432x366) Image search: [Google]
Sem título.png
303 KB, 432x366
Well, almost a month ago my mom got the idea of doing an iq test, so we contacted mensa and we did one. Well, three days ago my mom and I received our letter of acceptance. Turns out my iq is barely above the minimum requirement and my mom's iq is probably higher than the test limit. I'm a physics student and my mom is a entrepreneur. She managed to get out of poverty by selling candies. I can't even get out of college. So /sci/, do I even get any chance of succeeding in life?

ps: my mom can do every assignment that I get on college.
sry about any mistake that I made. English is not even my second language.
>>
>>7746134
What are you angry about? Just work harder. If you mom can do every assignment without prerequisite knowledge then your uni is shit.
>>
>>7746139
She studied the feynman lectures when she was younger. I got interested in physics because of her and those books. I'm just frustrated as fu.ck.
>>
nope

enjoy being dumber than your mom in every measurable way

protip: your exact situation is what the term "regression" was created to describe
>>
>>7746134
I'm a literal dumb-ass from a island family of farmers.
I made it through college with good marks and currently going though uni.

If i can do it then surely you can.
>>
>>7746163
Also my IQ is probably lower than 80. Never took a real IQ test except the online ones and always scored way below average.
>>
>>7746163
It's not that I have any difficulty, but more a problem of comparison. She can solve problems with the knowledge that she acquired 10/15 years ago while I, going through a college, sometimes forget about the some specific information or arbitrary knowledge.
But, well, thanks for the morale lifting.
>>
>>7746159
Exactly. Regression to the mean.

Limit to most IQ tests = 160 IQ or 4 SD if SD is 15

Assuming you're Northern European white, X is 102, I will assume heritability is .7071 for convenience (most intelligence heritability estimates range from .4 to .9)

Assuming your father is the same intelligence as your mother,

IQ = X + h^2(A+B/2 - X)= 102 + .5(160-102)=131
>>
>>7746134
My mom has an IQ of 140 and she's a research professor studying meta ethics. My IQ is a little under the limit for IQ tests and I'm an entrepreneur.
>>
>>7746134
>being intellectually cucked by your own mother
embarrassed for u desu
>>
>>7746241
134. You are pretty damn right.
My father is a cardiologist and a chess gm, but I don't think he is as smart as my mom.
>>
>>7746279
Your mother's IQ would also count for slightly more since women have smaller SD's. 160 for a woman is about the same rarity as 164.3 for a man.
>>
>>7746296
Uhm. I just saw a article about what you said.
Well... funny thing is that I didn't even wanted to do that test. I always thought doing it had more cons than pros. Now I'm frustrated as fu.ck because of a stupid test. =//
>>
>>7746304
134 is about 99th percentile. The only thing holding you back from achieving a STEM degree and making 6 grand a year would be personality traits.

Is your dad Tansel Turgut? How do you know your mom's IQ is that high? Does she have a near eidetic memory?
>>
>>7746313
I guess it's time to get out.
Bye.
>>
>>7746322
Just to clarify: it's not him. But I don't like the idea of someone contacting my father or mother because of a stupid post on an internet forum.
Well, anyhow... Thank you, guys! I just wanted to have a moment of catarsis.
>>
...the hell are meta ethics?
>>
>>7746367
Meta ethics "what is morality?"

Applied ethics "what is moral?"
>>
Sounds like a nonsense someone really insecure about their own intellect would study.
>>
>>7746440
Or someone who is legitimately interested. There's nothing much else to be gained from philosophy.
>>
File: 20151226_014507~2.jpg (1 MB, 2988x3744) Image search: [Google]
20151226_014507~2.jpg
1 MB, 2988x3744
>>7746134
Mensa is a joke. you get newsletters and pay a yearly fee

No smart person is still a member of the mensa society, only moderately well educated dummies that self identify as "smart" and feel the need to validate themselves
>>
What I read: "I'm in college and my mom still does my homework".
>>
>>7746547
You pay to be in the Mensa Society?

>taking a test designed by people you haven't vetted and judged the worth of
>believing the answers would net any significant data
>trusting people that don't even know you to quantify whatever the fuck they think "intelligence" is.
>paying for the test
>paying to be a member

OP, you need to be intelligent and remove from yourself this desire to be found intellectually acceptable or special. Fuck those people. Fuck yourself for giving a damn about some made up test. Fuck off with wasting your time and life on comparing yourself with your parents.
>>
Fuck your mom and make babies better than yourself.
>>
>>7747146
I think stupid breed reciprocally as
[math]\frac{1}{IQ_{baby}} = \frac{1}{IQ_{you}} + \frac{1}{IQ_{ur\ mum}}[/math]
>>
>>7747146
This is the only logical course of action
>>
IMHO IQ tests don't mean shit.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.