[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let the nth derivative of f(x) equal a non-zero constant c.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: bg-mesh.jpg (246 KB, 2000x889) Image search: [Google]
bg-mesh.jpg
246 KB, 2000x889
Let the nth derivative of f(x) equal a non-zero constant c.

Knowing n and c, what if anything can be said about f?
>>
Hint: apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
>>
Hardmode: Only knowing c, what can be said about f?
>>
n+1th derivative = 0
>>
>>7746024
X is an nth order polynomial
>>
>>7746050
f(x)*
>>
>>7746050
Is that all?
>>
>>7746024
F is an nth degree polynomial.
F is asymptotic to (cx^n)/(n)! as x->infinity.
F has n roots over the reals.
F is continuous, differentiable, analytic, etc.
F lives in the vector space of kth degree polynomials with k greater than or equal to n.
>>
>>7746086
Over the complex numbers I mean
>>
>>7746086
>the vector space of kth degree polynomials with k greater than or equal to n.
Not a vector space. You probably meant "k LESS than or equal to n".
>>
a_1 is c/(n!)
>>
f(x) is not a periodic function
>>
File: 1421349323324.jpg (37 KB, 720x699) Image search: [Google]
1421349323324.jpg
37 KB, 720x699
>>7746036
The naturalized, as to say most invasive, rhythm of f is that of a condition of x=1/[{even/odd}] and that the construct of the .0 in 0.0{even/odd} resulting from the 1 is that of a polynomial set that determines the attributes of a Fibonacci or spiral like endowment through the course of the nth derivative though the focus of c making the factor of f(x) that of a irrational within each numerator of an irrational, as persay polynomial set
>>
>>7746097
No it'd live in the vector space of polynomials of degree greater than or equal to n, over the complex numbers.
>>
>>7746234
>the vector space of polynomials of degree greater than or equal to n
This is not a vector space. The sum of two polynomials can have degree less than n if the leading terms cancel out.
>>
>>7746256
And then the coordinate with respect to the element in the natural basis (1, x, x^2,...,x^k) of the leading term (x^k in this case) would be zero. This is perfectly fine.

Just as a vector in R^3 can be represented as ai+bj+ck. One of these coefficients could be 0 and then the vector would read something like ai+ck.
This is still a vector in R^3 where i,j, and k are the standard basis in R^3.

Get what I'm sayin friend?
There is also an obvious isomorphism between the vector space of kth degree polynomials (over the reals in this case) and R^3, check it yourself.
>>
>>7746067
Yes, you lose information as you take derivatives. You always try to make up for this when integrating with a +C in single variable, and a function in multivariable.
>>
>>7746316
no it's not perfectly fine...
if P1 = x^n
P2 = 1-x^n

P1 and P2 are in your "space", but P1+P2 is 1, which is not a polynomial of degree greater than or equal to n.
>>
>>7746368
Ah I see where the misunderstanding is coming from, if you look back to my original post I said
>F lives in the vector space of kth degree polynomials with k greater than or equal to n
I should have said
>F lives in a vector space of kth degree polynomials with k greater than or equal to n
I was meaning to say, that f exists as a vector in a vector space of polynomials and since it has degree n, the vector space has to be generated by a basis (1,x,x^2,...,x^n,...,x^k) where k is greater than n.
I didn't mean that the vector space only contains polynomials with degree greater than or equal to n.
My bad.
>>
>>7746388
And obviously any basis will do but the one I listed is just the natural choice.
>>
>>7746067
Cant you also say that the coefficient of X is c*n! ?
>>
>>7746097
>not aware that polynomials of degree k form a vector space

Brush up on your intro lin alg anon. This is first year stuff.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.