[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a chemist, finishing my M. Sc. from a good university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: i9L5uVhtJ8IrK.gif (997 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
i9L5uVhtJ8IrK.gif
997 KB, 500x282
I'm a chemist, finishing my M. Sc. from a good university in Europe right now.

I would like to ask fellow chemists or knowledgeable people here what my career options are from here on, and how good they are. A lot of my peers are going for a PhD, which I'm considering as well but I'm wondering if there's also other options that could be viable? I would be open for non-chemistry related things.
>>
>>7744838
>MSc
Quality control.
>PhD
(If you're extremely lucky:) Quality control.

Wish I was joking, there are zero jobs for chemists at the moment. You have to tech jobs for the foreseeable future and pray the field becomes less saturated (not in the next decade).

I recommend getting a tech job because every idiot is trying to ride out the storm by hiding in grad-school, which only oversaturates the degree. You could be earning a full time salary right now, literally any job is better than grad-school, even if it's not in chemistry.
>>
>>7744913
I've heard something like that. Are you US based? In Europe PhD really isn't that bad, it pays maybe 2000 a month which isn't a lot but livable at least
>>
>>7744913

Sad to see the field so saturated, I thought getting into chemistry would lead to a clear cut path into the biotech industry but nay, the grass is very brown on the other side. I really can't curve my interest in the subject, teaching high school Chem honestly sounds somewhat nice, there is apparently a big need for qualified highschool science teachers.
>>
>>7744915
It's not bad money at all (not in the US either) it's just really boring work.
>>
>>7744920
Yeah, teaching HS is underrated to be honest. The biotech industry is great if you actually have a biotech degree, but they're not big on training so they don't tend to hire more general degrees (and there's a surplus of biotech and biochem graduates anyway).
>>
>>7744920
Yeah HS chem teacher sounds pretty awesome, but it really is a bit of a fallback plan for me. I wanted to get up high in a company, eventually in a non-chem management position, but I don't know what the right choice is now.
>>
>>7744926

It really isn't that glamorous either, that is, working in the tech industry. It seems as you grow older your dreams and preconceived ideas of how life should play out are let down by the reality of things. My friend refuses to believe that there is minimal prospect in pursuit graduate school in biochemistry, he looks down on me for considering teaching as a career, he says its "below Me" and "lacks ambition". I used to think the same way as him but most adults I know who hold ambitious positions appear stressed, dissolutioned, and generally beat down by life. The most important thing for me is TIME, looking at the people in my family who teach, this will certainly be provided to me this allowing me to pursue my art gig.

Masters in education and then helping highschool kids come to understand polarity is my goal. Maybe incorporating my artwork into the classroom setting somehow aswell.

Anyways, I'm drunk right now and spilt my feelings and drink all over this post.

Night
>>
>>7744938
how much additional training do you need to go form a degree (eg bio, chem) to be able to teach HS in that degree?
>>
>>7744943

I need to look into this more, since the idea of teaching as a career recently dawned on me I still need to look Into the facts. Teaching, like any useful profession these days, requires certification. I think you acquire the credential in undergrad and if you attain it can start to teach right away.
I'll have to ask my relatives who teach what the process entails, funnily enough, they are the happiest people in my leafless family tree.

I hear frequently that one should get a masters in order to be a strong candidate so that's what I plan on doing along with a BS in undergrad since I'm nearing the end of the tunnel.

Unrelated: I got the idea of teaching as a profession when being a math tutor in a math tutoring center at my school. The center held weekly seminars for first time tutors where we learned about effective education methods, teaching is all psychology and good teachers are like actors, emotional beings who open students mental pores. There was one session where we were talking about mental states that students come to find themselves deeply conditioned due to years of poor education, these mental states impede their lives and cognitive abilities drastically, obviously in a negative way. Teaching, GOOD Teaching is an incredibly fluid process that requires a lot of wit and improv as good teachers are constantly gauging individual students separately and creating custom tailored discourses that help that student out of their current understanding, of course this requires mastery of the material and a high level of teaching knowledge. We need good educators, really we do, our education system is pretty bad. My friend thinks I'm selling myself short for going into education simply because I have a 4.0 gpa in my major but in all honesty I think my meticulous studies will make me a good candidate to educate children properly.

I'll send these kids well prepared to sit in the classrooms of the Anons on /sci/ who will be uni professors one day
>>
As someone between honors and masters I felt it was extremely hard to find any work in my country.
>>
>>7744959
what country?

Also for clarification in Europe it is common to do B. Sc. --> M. Sc. (--> PhD), honors programs don't exist.
>>
>>7744938
>"below Me"
What the fuck does he think a chemistry degree entitles him to? Is he retarded? He's going to fucking off himself in 5 years I swear.
>>
>>7744943
In my country if you already have a bachelors there's just one 6 month teaching diploma course you need to do, but you can actually start working before that.
>>
>>7744955
The Western world more than anything needs more people like you in education. Everyone should try to be more like Japan where teachers actually give a fuck and get involved in their students' lives.
>>
>>7744838
>I would be open for non-chemistry related things.
In that case the world is your lobster. You basically said you are willing to try anything.

In terms of what you CAN do with a chem degree, your best bet would be oil and gas sector/energy companies, waste management, environmental service companies or maybe big pharma.

Get a PhD like me and you might earn a higher salary, but some might say it isn't worth the stress.
>>
>>7744985
I don't understand all the talk about how getting a PhD is so bad. All I've been told is "you will face a glass ceiling without a higher degree" and "if you go to grad school you are either wasting your time or your money".

It's not really a surprise people are choosing grad school PhD programs considering those options. I'm one of them. ACS just published job growth for chemists in Boston to be tripling in the next couple years, and doubling in a few other places on the coasts. I know that means shit for the rest of the US, but I feel like a lot of the fervor comes from people who are unwilling to move wherever. That's a huge problem.

Please, I want someone to convince me otherwise, but I have yet to hear a convincing argument for not going into a GOOD PhD program (top 50 school or so). Just do a mock job search online as a PhD chemist. There's an assload of positions to apply for. I do notice a few that cut off the requirements for the job at the M.Sc, but the PhD seems to trump all for a good 80% of listings.

My apps just went out for PhD programs. If I get in to a gold school, I will probably go. I can earn an M.Sc for free and if I don't care to go on, I can drop out of the program. Many programs also publish their previous grads employment history. I was surprised to find about 50% of east and west coast schools got their heads into industry while maybe 10% went straight to professorship, and 40 to post doc. That's far better than the temp job crisis I've been hearing about.If I don't get in, I'll probably take some more math before applying to a chemE program, but they aren't exactly on the up and up either. I feel like my hands are tied, but I'm doing the best I can.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.