[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nuclear fusion - imminent, or very distant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
There has been a fair bit of excitement recently over the efforts of a group of startups in the world of Fusion energy, such as tri alpha energy, Helion energy, and efforts from Lockheed Martin, to develop reactors on a time scale of perhaps a mere decade from now or less. Im fascinated by this, but still harbor doubts, given the long, frustrating history of fusion power generation over the last 60 years.

Will the extreme difficulty of sustained fusion once again humble mankind, or are we finally ready to tell the saudis to get fucked forever?
>>
Oh, i forgot to mention general fusion, although i think the approach they are taking might be a dead end
>>
>he thinks we won't need saudi oil even after fusion

You think we're gonna be driving fusion powered cars very soon?
Ships powered by on-board reactors? Aeroplanes?
>>
>>7743803
I would hope a majority of cars are made to use electricity within 40 years, or that we can make fuel with genetically engineered plants or something.

I hate those Saudi fucks, I want to see the local people eat them alive
>>
>>7743803
They would probably be powered by batteries kind of like, you know, electric cars.

and the batteries would get their power from the fusion in case you were confused about that.
>>
>>7743807
Wed still need oil for a lot of other things, but us domestic production could probably handle it. Being an energy and petroleum autarky sounds swell to me
>>
>>7743803
>Ships powered by on-board reactors?
First nuclear power plant: Shippingport, 1954
First nuclear submarine: USS Nautilus, 1955

We'll probably see the same with fusion power. And we already have electric cars.
>>
>>7743868
We could build a plane using a nuclear battery right now, but that's a political no no.
>>
Iter is such a classic example of state funded foolishness and waste
>>
>>7743873
Not to mention that there's really no practical need for it. Most likely it would just end up being shot down over some third world country giving the enemy something to reverse-engineer.
>>
>>7744414
I could see a use for it in surveillance UAVs that could stay in the air for several years in a row.
>>
I was reading an article about this. And how nuclear fusion is becoming a big sector in Russia. Well, it already is but it is increasing. There's lot of money to be made from it. The scarier part is that Russia owns like 30% (more or less) of all the Uranium mined in the U.S. They need the uranium to develop this industry that will one day boom bigger than the petrol industry ever has.
>>
>>7743789

Nuclear power is dead
>>
>>7746450
Why would they need uranium for fusion?
>>
>>7743922
>>7743922
why the hate for iter ? i thought they were making progress ?
>>
>>7746450
rekt
>>
>>7743789
>a mere decade from now
This meme is a meme before memes as we know it existed.
>>
>>7746450
>nuclear fusion
>uranium
what the fuck is this autism
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.