[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pic semi related. Freud talked about people getting stuck at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mistncFSeH1qj8ar7o1_500.jpg (62 KB, 498x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mistncFSeH1qj8ar7o1_500.jpg
62 KB, 498x750
Pic semi related. Freud talked about people getting stuck at different stages of their age/psychological development, often related to trauma or drama of sufficient magnitude. I think I just realized im stuck at like 12-14 when we moved Memphis to nowhere Texas to live in the dirt, with a bunch of animals. Then they fuckin got divorced, dad getting kicked out to leave the rest of us in relative squallor. I was a whiz kid all through school, then it all just dropped off. Went from str8As to str8Cs in like 2 years. I always got a high nintey on the tests, but i never did the homework, totally phoned it in. I just want a stable household.
>>
>>7742863
I don't think you get stuck at a certain developmental stage. You just gain certain needs and latch onto them. A lot of these needs cannot be meaningfully described in terms of a stage of someone's life, they're just issues that need to be reconciled.

My own issue is I just want to feel comfortable and understood, but some part of me is terrified of it. So I'd still have a problem even if I were to have what I wanted. You could say this is a teenage hangup, but the simple fact is, it never happened for me. No one understand what chronic pain and anxiety does to a person, so I just don't tell anyone. No one knows what severe health problems do to a person in their early teens while living in a broken family situation with disjointed demands I simply could not ever fill.

You don't get stuck. You get issues, and you carry them with you for years. They change with you, but their core likely remains the same. Freud had good ideas, but only if you pick elements out that are worthwhile.
>>
thanks for answering sincerely and in a helpful manner. Im glad I noticed this facet though, because knowing is the first step to beating it.
>>
>>7742863
i sort of get you, OP. bad shit happened when I was about 15, family related and continued all of the way up to this day and I'm 20 now. I'm about to go off to university and never see this shit-hole again. I just want a stable, happy family and I tbqh can't wait until I find someone to do that with. I think it made me more down to earth, having such a terrible family. it's probably special-snowflake tier, but I have just always had that in the back of my mind: if I meet someone, I'm going to be a good person to them and if we have children, I'm going to be a good father and husband and have always made that a point etc etc you know what I mean.

don't really know why this is in /sci/ btw
>>
File: SMBC.gif (66 KB, 576x799) Image search: [Google]
SMBC.gif
66 KB, 576x799
I always feel like I'm the same person I was around age twelve and the only changes in my life are that people treat me like an adult and I've learned how to pretend to be an adult.

I think this is pretty normal and mostly caused by our own minds playing tricks on us: Our personalities seem static because the change is so gradual and we don't remember thoughts and emotions as well as we think we do. Most people have emotional problems that can be considered childish, but we've learned to act like mature adults.
>>
File: 4c8.gif (1 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
4c8.gif
1 MB, 359x202
Freud was a fucking crack pot. Most of his shit has been debunked. In as far you can tell the difference in non scientific fields like psychology.
>>
>>7742863

You do realize that pretty much all of Freud's theories turned out to be bullshit, right?
>>
>Freud
>>>/soc/
>>
>>7743277
>Psychology isn't a science
I love this meme
>>
File: 1435649336299.gif (2 MB, 403x234) Image search: [Google]
1435649336299.gif
2 MB, 403x234
>>7744141
>he seriously thinks psychology is scientific
>>
>>7744141
>Psychology
>Science

never gets old
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.