[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sociology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1445781948167.png (8 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1445781948167.png
8 KB, 800x600
Is sociology a pseudoscience?.

I've taken one class on it and it seems like a pseudoscience.
>>
>>7742675
I like your frog
>>
Bump. I would like to know what science people think.
>>
>>7742675
Sociology is to science what McDonald's is to fine dining.
>>
>>7742675
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>7742928
That's what I thought. Thanks science people
>>
I took a sociology class once. Half way through the semester, the professor (whose work is on crime statistics and whatnot) allowed his TA to lecture for a few classes. The topic she lectured on was the fluidity of gender and sexuality, and something something nobody is really straight or gay and how chromosomal mutations that gave the trannies their junk are biologically natural and should be accepted as such.

Sociology is a bunch of hooey, and there is absolutely a culture of enforcing non-scientific political correctness despite insufficient or undermining evidence of the claims. It's somewhere between economic theory and nutrition science on the scale of ridiculousness and bullshit.
>>
yeah....forget all the studies contrary to the agenda they seek......it's sad what the universities are becoming.
>>
I think it's most summed up by something my statistical mechanics professor said once:

"Taking data and fitting curves is not science."
>>
>>7742675
Sociology is literally all bullshit. I have less respect for sociologists than I do for English lit professors. At least the lit professors don't pretend to do science and be objective.
>>
>he asks 4chan if a given field of knowledge is, or not, science
I bet you don't even science. how about you study it and decide by yourself?
>>
>>7742675
>sociology
It feels more scientific and productive than psychology. God, I can't stand psychology majors. They do nothing but drink and write papers the night before.
>>
>>7742955
Except sociology doesn't attempt to fit data into curves. Much like any field of science, a sociological case study presents a hypothesis, collects results through an ethnographic study, and compares results with the hypothesis.

I think to question whether sociology is a valid field of science is to analyze the methods sociology uses to collect data. With ethnographic studies, sociologists tend to interact with whatever group they're observing (e.g., students in high school, a gang, etc.). But sometimes objective data can be collected through tests, as with Claude Steele's work on stereotype threat. As with most studies, there is never a definitive "Here's some data, now I proved my hypothesis as absolute truth!" There is always speculation. Most people in this thread likely have never really looked into sociological methods.
>>
>>7742675
>psociology a pseudopscience
>implying science is created fully-mature
>like the ancient gods
psociology is a pscience in the making, pleb
>>
>>7743266
sociology will always be shit tier, prove me wrong
>>
Holy fuck

Someone actually saved my frog
>>
>>7742993

That's because you probably go to a shit school for Psychology, go to a real one/take an upper-division Psych class in Clinical research methods or something and you'll appreciate it a lot more.
>>
>>7742675
Its so far from science its disgusting.

My ex majored in sociology and actually graduated stupider than she was before she went in. And it was an ivy league school.

Basically sociology seeks to ascribe fancy terms to principles which a 7 year old could explain in simple terms. It seeks to overcomplicate what doesnt even deserve to be scrutinized in the first place.
>>
>>7743268
Prove me wrong, prove me wrong.
>>
It's less pseudo scientific than maths though
>>
>>7743622
how is maths pseudoscientific
>>
>>7743489

Sociology in US is shit.

But I bet majority of STEM would not be able to comprehend system's sociology of Niklas Luhmann.

Sociology is not science though - because the social system of science is the main topic of sociology. As well as social systems of economy, law and so on. True sociologist understands how these systems work and how psychic systems are outside of these systems. That means how communications and information processing works as empirical events.

And nobody likes this true sociology (SJW sociologist most) because it essentially destroys any belief that humans can in any way steer society. Or it comments on these ideas and shows how far are they from praxis.
>>
Soc minor here. Can confirm it's pretty bad. I studied in California too so I'm sure it's worse here. Basically, each class goes like this: Each unit is specific to one social problem/group. Then there will be a portion a weak correlational data. And lastly, they will blame the source of this on society aka white people or just people in power...who happen to be mostly white, don't forget!!

Would not recommend
>>
>>7742675
anything with an "ology" is psuedosciency
-case closed
>>
>>7743723
Yeah, US sociology in short.

It is embarrassing and it begins in EU too.

But if you study sociology it is only on you, what you choose to study. If you cannot take anything of value from vast and interesting sociological literature (sociology of religion, sociology of science, historical sociology, economical sociology, social psychology, mathematical sociology and so on), then you are failure.
>>
>>7743723
Thinking back to those classes it was pretty shit at times.

>fall of 2010
>fresh out of HS kid who don't know nothin bout nothin
>SOC100
>gender and sexuality unit
>"people might think they're are only 2 sexes, but that's wrong"
>huh?
>"there's actually 5 sexes: Male, female, hermaphrodite which is between male and female, then there's fermaphrodites which are between female and hermaphrodites, and lastly, mephrodites which are between male and hermaphrodites"

I paid real money to hear this and write it down. Even as a kid I knew this was bullshit
>>
>>7743735
>topology
>>
File: 150 dollars.png (763 KB, 1328x2280) Image search: [Google]
150 dollars.png
763 KB, 1328x2280
>>7743747
Reminds me of the guy who paid money to a transsexual prostitute, who proceeded to painfully rape him for thirty minutes.
>>
>>7743638
It's completely made up, it doesn't come from observation of the universe, like physics, biology or sociology, but is completely made up, based on man made axioms that can't be proven and have no relation to real world
>>
>>7743793
Not actually rape since he never said stop, what a beta
>>
>>7743454
psychology is complete bullshit m8, no matter the school

>>7743638
math isn't even science...
>>
>>7743913
>>7743925
so maths isn't science? why talk about maths being 'pseudoscientific' when it's not pretending to be science
>>
File: 1333647835094.png (64 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1333647835094.png
64 KB, 200x200
>>7743793
holy shit, anon
>>
Soc major here, and unfortunately i have to agree with you about the gender studies shit, but there s much more than that: conflict studies, econ soc, urban soc basically hold our wold together. and the question whether soc is science or not, read >>7743066
>>
>>7743913
>axioms can't be proven

OH SHIT YOU SURE TOLD THEM

pseudoscientific doesn't mean "not science", it means not science and pretending to be science. science means modeling uncertain data about the world by falsation. obviously math isn't science.

science is also completely made up, actually. saying you know how the world works because you have a simple model has nothing to do with any measure of "truth" of how the world works. it gets much more complicated than that, but the gist of it is that we only have local certainty, so in an absolute sense all we think we know is made up.

anyway, philosophy of science always brings up the worst of the board and people spouting bullshit (like you) so please go away
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.