[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (1 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1334x750
What chemicals in high concetration can just randomly cause fire only by themselves? Metan and what more?
>>
>>7742456
None of them.
>>
Nitrocellulose
>>
>>7742460
Then what about mixing gases?
>>
>>7742456
Or in contact with oxygen?
>>
>>7742464
>by themselves
>>
>>7742460
Dumbass.

Mercury metal is produced industrially from cinnabar HgS by roasting in air to convert some to HgO and then removal to an anoxic environment and strong heating, where it undergoes self-reduction to Hg and evolves SO2.

Many metal oxides are unstable under strong heating in the absence of other reactants.
>>
>>7742456
>by themselves
Literally nothing ever. But you mean at room temperature and 1atm? Plenty.
>>
Steel beams
>>
None of them. You need an oxidizing agent to achieve ignition.
>>
>>7742589
Yes, in room temperature and in contact with oxygen
>>
>>7742602
So if I mix some chemicals in room temperature and air I could case fire in thin air as a way of reaction
>>
>>7742522
But it takes something to make them combust. They do not spontaneously burn without another influence.
>>
plutonium
>>
>>7742636
Like what?
>>
>>7742692
He meant with little influence, something usually negligible.
Like, how nitroglycerin is unstable.
>>
>>7742712
I understand but I just want to know if there are any chemicals that in room temperature and in contact with air can make flames midair
>>
>>7742456
>>7742623
>what are molecules with auto-ignition temperatures lower than or equal to 298K

fixed OP for you
>>
>>7742723
Thank you. English isn't my first language and sometimes I just can't find words to describe what I want to ask.
>>
>>7742636
>They do not spontaneously burn without another influence.

No, temperature provides energy for the combustion reaction to overcome its energy barrier. If a chamber of oxygen and [said gas] is sitting at room temperature, and room temperature provides kinetic energy to the molecules that is more than the activation energy for the reaction, the gas will spontaneously combust. This is highschool tier chemistry
>>
Oxygen.
>>
>>7742725
No problem. The list on this Wikipedia page will probably interest you (although as explained in the article, these values are not exact, as they are dependent on partial pressure of oxygen, etc.):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoignition_temperature

As you can imagine, molecules that auto-ignite at temperatures less than or around room temperature are extreme reductants and sometimes unstable
>>
>>7742737
Thank you once more
>>
>>7742727
So you need oxygen and to put energy into the system for it to combust. It does not combust without those, ie. by itself.
>>
>>7742852
>>7742852
Alright my man, so what the other guy was saying is right.

To answer your question, imagine a hill. To the left of the hill is where your reactant + oxidizer is, to the right is where you want it to be (combusting).

Now imagine walking up that hill. It takes effort right? That's the amount of energy you need to put into the system (usually by heating with a flame) to get the reaction over the hill. You can imagine for different reagents there are varying degrees of the amount of energy you need to put it to get a reaction, right?

Now spontaneous combustion...think about what the hill would look like. It would either be incredible small, or non existent. Where it non-existing, the reagent would combust immediately on contact with air. There are chemicals that do this. There are chemicals that combust spontaneously with other chemicals as well. This is actually a process used in modern rocket fuel design (two chemicals reacting with each other to form immediate combustion). To answer your question directly, most reactions need energy to begin a combustion, some only need to be in contact with each other before BOOM. All depends on that energy hill (the energy barrier)
>>
>>7742712
>Like, how nitroglycerin is unstable
But that requires some input (heat, friction, mechanical shock, static, etc.) to activate too. Even acetone peroxide, which is so sensitive it blows kids fingers off when they try to throw it, requires some stimulus to burn/detonate.

Really it's just a matter of finding which conditions a reaction will and will not be spontaneous under.
>>
>>7743759
That's what "usually negligible" is for, even though being a relative criteria.
>>
>>7742456
My mixtape
>>
>>7743786
Lel
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.