[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biology or Chemistry Which one is superior?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
Biology or Chemistry

Which one is superior?
>>
If you can't answer that yourself it's time to Leave /sci/
>>
>need chemistry for bio
>dont need bio for chemistry
not a hard choice
>>
>>7742049
Biology is just applied Chemistry, which means more Oompa Loompa'ing, which means less pure.

So, choose Mathematics.
>>
>>7742049

Every year an university will graduate:

12 chemistry majors
45 biochem majors
1600 bio majors
>>
>>7742103
That's the exact ratio at my school actually. Or very very close. I'd literally just go do a different bachelors if I was set to graduate biology.
>>
>>7742103
1 physics
12 chem
25 or so actually interested in biology
1575 premeds
>>
>>7742162
Most premeds I know choose to do a chemistry major. I've only met a few that are bio majors. Hell I've met more pre med psychology majors than biology.
>>
>>7742049
Both are awful. The only interesting biology topic is anatomy and genetics, everything else especially anything to do with plants is boring as shit. Chemistry is marginally better, a lot of the concepts are intriguing on paper but my god labs are so dull. All you do is mix white powders and clear liquids then wait 8 hours for another white powder or clear liquid.
>>
>>7742162
Funny how pre-meds so blindly go to biology.

Check out:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/spring2006/cmsc838s/hw2/VladApplicationReport/VladApplicationReport_files/image002.jpg

It shows that the major with the highest acceptance rate at med schools are mathematics and statistics majors.

Feels good being a math major. Everywhere I look I see the master race dominating the field.
>>
>>7742049
Bio is applied Chem, so Bio.
>>
biology also has the highest drop out rate of any major, nationwide. Its not that the classes are hard, its that you end up taking a lot of moderately difficult classes in the same semester. But you will end up with more laboratory experience of any major. Every semester will have between 8-16 hours in a lab, at least at most universities. I suggest staying away from schools that don't require you to have physics or that push you down bioinformatics/biostats instead of calc.
>>
>>7742049
Chemistry

Bio is for fucking normies and isn't real science
>>
Chemistry is more broad, but you should decide for yourself what you are most interested in.
As a chemist you'll be focusing on more fundamental principles and chemical synthesis, whereas as a biologist you'll learn more about how molecules in biological organisms interact and how to purify them.
If you truly can't choose between biology or chemistry, then you should go for biochemistry.
>>
>>7742223
>labs are dull
it's because you've only done babby tier shit
>>
Should I just go premed with a bio option and a Chem minor?
>>
>>7742357
You really did not learn anything from this thread

http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/spring2006/cmsc838s/hw2/VladApplicationReport/VladApplicationReport_files/image002.jpg
>>
>>7742049
What Major would be best for Forensics?
>>
>>7742437
Forensic science.

m8, if you couldn't make that connection yourself... I don't know what to tell you.
>>
Biochemistry. Fucking duh.
>>
>>7742357
See >>7742466
>>
>>7742384
I feel like this should be a pie chart.
>>
>>7742049

Chemistry.

Distill any biological system or process down to a basal -- mechanistic or structural -- level; that's chemistry.
>>
>>7742162

My undergrad had three biology tracks: ecology and evolutionary biology; physiology; and molecular/cellular biology. Per class, there were about 25 molecular/cellular biology majors (I doubled in mol/cell bio and chem. All of us either doubled in chem, or picked up a chem minor.) There were another 25 or so evolutionary biology majors. Then, there were over a hundred physiology majors who all were pre-meds.
>>
Mathematics>Physics>Chemistry>Biology
>>
>>7742049
Both are equal, there is room for all sciences and none of scientists is 12 years old to fee more emotional towards one of them.
>>
>>7742066
of course you need bio for chem, just think of protein engineering
>>
>>7742446
I have to choose a track Bio or Chem :(
>>
If you're going to a shit uni where the bio course is tailored to premeds, do chem, cause you will actually learn usable things.

If you're going to a decent uni with a decent bio program with students actually interested in bio, you will learn all the chem you will need along with a multitude of other topics and good lab practice. Plus, you will have ample of research opportunities later, so in that case, do bio.

It all depends on what you like best though.
>>
>>7742685
Chemical chemistry is the way to go friend.
>>
>>7742301
chem/biochem majors go through more lab hours than bio peeps do you pleb
>>
>>7742966
maybe at some schools, the bio degree at my uni is missing 3 chems, from what a chem major takes, and will have to have 6 bios more than the chem, chem people take bio 120 and 121 here. I've never known anyone in undergrad chem to have more than two labs a semester, when I had three semesters with 3 labs per. Accreditation in your state could be different, is your program geared toward med or people going on to graduate biology, premed is a separate degree than biology here(which might be why you seem confused).
>>
>>7742249
I picked biology because I was hyped for A&P and I didn't want to take QA or math heavy classes. I did two terms of statistics since that seemed more important than calculus for entering medicine.
>>
what's a better major chemistry or biochemistry/biomedical science?
>>
File: 1439367055965.png (165 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
1439367055965.png
165 KB, 303x311
>>7743011
Anon I'm doing chemistry and I've had 4 labs a semester every semester for the past 3 years
>>
File: fedora137.jpg (58 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
fedora137.jpg
58 KB, 520x390
Physics.

Pic related: "I major in Biology or Chemistry".
>>
>>7742587
Chemistryfag, biologists do a lot of shit chemists cant do, esspecially in medicine where protein and enzyme based medicine is growing a lot faster than synthesised pharmaceuticals.
>>
>>7742685
Chemistry with biology classes the first few years you will know exactly what you want after youve done the classes.
>>
>>7743664
Pure mathematics.

Go fuck yourself. Fucking physics fags thinking they're the shit. Math trumps all.
>>
>>7743707
>protein and enzyme based medicine
That's Biochem mate, not bio. Biochem + chem are officially the same department at my school. Drug design certainly is not bio. Synthesis is chemistry.

>more drugs based on Biochem concepts

True, they are rising, but I think last time I checked C&EN it was still like 75 or 80% small molecule compared to 20 to 25% biological.
>>
File: fedora109.jpg (31 KB, 588x350) Image search: [Google]
fedora109.jpg
31 KB, 588x350
>>7743714
Maths is just formalized philosophy.

Pic related: "Um... I study math"
>>
School isn't a pissing contest. If you like bio more, then do bio instead of chemistry. If you like math because it makes you better then you probably don't have what it takes to be a good mathematician anyway.
>>
>>7744156
>Maths is just formalized philosophy

Nice maymay you got there
>>
>>7744644
post of refined truth

99% of physics/mathfags on sci are only doing it so they can be in the "god tier" pic that's posted 9001 times a month.
>>
Physics, fagget.
>>
computer sci, with bioinformatics concentration and a minor (and eventual BS) in geology master race here.
>>
File: fedora2.jpg (271 KB, 815x1226) Image search: [Google]
fedora2.jpg
271 KB, 815x1226
>>7744646
"Nice maymay you got there".
>>
biochemistry
>>
>>7742635
thats more biochem though
which is just bio with more chemistry in it than usual
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.