[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /sci/'s favourite scientific youtuber?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 240x240
What's /sci/'s favourite scientific youtuber?
>>
Brady Heran. He runs numberphile, sixty symbols, periodic videos, objectivity, and a bunch of other channels.

While not strictly /sci/ related, he does a good podcast with his friend who is a former physics teacher but now a youtuber, cgp grey. Podcast is called Hello Internet.

Scishow is OK for news. Crash course is OK for overview or review.

There are a bunch of professors around the world who do online supplements on YouTube too. Currently I'm watching a differential form playlist.
>>
DrPhysicsA is GOAT
>>
>>7741979
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Youtube_Recommendations
>>
>>7741994
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>7741979
Memesauce
>>
Cody's lab, Nile red, nurd rage, and periodic table of videos
im a chem fag
>>
Pbs Spacetime had actually been coming out with awesome videos
>>
None of them. Every channel I've ever found has done or been something that irritates me. Minute Physics is among the worst. Veritasium I didn't care for much originally, but he's probably among the best. Sci-show can be obnoxious, but is solid if you ignore any topic that's remotely prone to being polarizing and opinionated.

Braincraft is okay. Be she, at least superficially, appears to believe in "mental illness" as a meaningful phrase.
>>
>>7742068
What's wrong with minute physics? I mean I get that it simplifies a lot but it's kind of in the name. At least there's actual content behind the videos
>>
Edward Current

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swlsqkAyxqY
>>
SmarterEveryDay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADD7QlQoFFI
>>
>>7742092
I don't really like him, how he seems to think, and the way he frames information. I get that collectivist and personally flimsy "we" vibe, and I just don't like it. You're not going to like everyone, and it's not as though there's a dislike. Maybe I'm just a dick and an idiot.

At one point I probably could've given a more substantial breakdown of what I don't like, but it really comes down to the above. I've gotten lazy, and I've gotten sloppy. I'm not willing to put in any effort into learning from people I don't readily find relatable or likeable. I tend to just pull them apart and learn more about the speaker than that which they're speaking about.
>>
>>7742131

Not the same anon, but I see your point. Whenever I try to watch vsauce, I get that this guy isn't really talking to 'me', but his audience that 'knows' him. It's like I'm not really part of their community, even though it's YouTube and it doesn't even matter.
>>
>>7741979
Sharkee
>>
>>7742068
What's wrong with Periodic Videos?
>>
>>7742051
This.
>>
>>7742160
Periodic videos is okay. I wish they went into more detail and treated the process more mechanically.

Sixty Symbols is severely crippled by Brady's desire to shield the audience from them there scary mathematics. I don't even know how to parse the equations anyway, but I dislike an entire chunk of a world being hidden from me. A conceptual understanding is not good enough. Periodic videos suffers from a similar lack of depth.
>>
>>7741979
ShayeSaintJohn
>>
>>7742172
They have videos where they actually go into the mathematics. Stop being such a drama queen.
>I don't even know how to parse the equations anyway
Then what the fuck are you complaining about? If you want to actually do math then go do math. They can't cram everything into a youtube video.
Goddamn you're entitled.
>>
>>7742859
>entitled
What are you, some kind of fucking moron? Of course I'm entitled to rant about my subjective experience. But not once have I demanded anyone change to suit me, nor suggested that ought'a be the way the world works. I'm describing things things as they are.

Dumbass fuckhead. Learn to think before you open your mouth with whatever knee jerk garbage you feel yourself entitled to project on others.
>>
Review of the Week, very informative desu
>>
Check out In a Nutshell - Kurzgesagt if you enjoy top notch animation and a range of topics.
>>
>>7742882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ
>>
I wanted to start a channel detailing the history of science and mathematics. And how the mathematics discovered in that era was used compared to now, etc.

I think it is interesting to a point, but maybe people are not that much of history nerds while also being into science.
>>
>>7742936
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, anon. Would watch.
>>
>>7742945

Cheers, It's one of those things that I've wanted to do, but I have no real idea to start so I'm gonna read up on it now.

I was thinking of doing a general time line of major fields, theorems, ideas, uses in mathematics that have been discovered. Do off-shoot videos on the uses of mathematics in war time, etc.
>>
Brady's work with the professors of Nottingham and such are really the only things I enjoy, mainly because I enjoy how the professors present the subjects and the professors themselves, really (and the occasional grad student). Not really into some faggot with masters' (or even worse, just a bachelor's) and an overpriced recording setup trying to fascinate me about trivial physics topics that I covered 2nd or 3rd year of my undergrad days. That and I absolutely cannot stand the American accent, most of which such channels have.
>>
Sixty Symbols and PBS Space Time are nice. DNews are fags
>>
>>7743084
Link to some of the videos?
>>
>>7742152
This.
>>
File: sotp.png (221 KB, 800x485) Image search: [Google]
sotp.png
221 KB, 800x485
>>7742862
You sound like a cartoon character
>>
>>7742045
That anal lube video was really funny
>>
This guy is pretty nice but he hasn't made many videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyW5z-M2yzw
>>
>>7743844
You sound like a knob.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.