[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Textbook Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: fellreaction1.jpg (11 KB, 261x218) Image search: [Google]
fellreaction1.jpg
11 KB, 261x218
I've been trying to get through apostol's calculus, but I find it to be a bit hard. I'm at the first chapter. Should I just man up and go through with it or get a new book. Any recommendations ?
>>
>>7741638
Man up, faggot.
You'll eventually get through it, just put more effort.
>>
>>7741638
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler
"A First Course in Calculus" by Lang
"Calculus With Analytic Geometry" by Simmons
"Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Kline
>>
>>7741638
Volume 1 or 2? If 2, just power through it, OP.

If 1, Spivak's calculus is much more readable.
>>
S T E W A R T
T
E
W
A
R
T
>>
>>7741638
Depends. What's your goal? Do you want a rigorous study of mathematics? Cotinuing with analysis, etc? Then read "How to prove it, a structured approach" and man the fuck up.

Do you just want to learn calculus? Then you don't need a book, use http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/

There's a third option. Watch the lectures and then go through Apostol once again with the intuition worked.
>>
>>7741934
Im doing volume 1 right now. The proving problems in the exercise section get really confusing.

>>7741967
I look to major in maths in the future. I'm moderately good at most of maths, but problems in which I have to prove things really do a number on me because I have no practice in those problems.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I love the difficulty of problems in Apostol's book and definitely do want to go through with it.
>>
>>7743517
>because I have no practice in those problems

Only exceptional students manage to pick up proofs while studying a poof based subject. Read a book or two on proofs before doing a proof based book and make sure you have mathematical reasoning down tight.

Book of Proof (http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)
A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Smith, Eggen, and Andre
A Primer of Abstract Mathematics by Ash
Conjecture and Proof by Laczkovich (read this after one of the above)
>>
File: fig2[1].png (17 KB, 578x198) Image search: [Google]
fig2[1].png
17 KB, 578x198
Can anyone recommend a good logic/model theory book for self-learning? Preferably ones you could find online.

I know the basics (Set Theory, predicate logic) well enough, but I feel like I need to go deeper.

I'm trying to go into the formal background that leads to non-standard models, countable vs. uncountable models, stuff like that. I also want to study more advanced set theory topics, like large cardinal axioms.
>>
>>7741638
"My first Calculus textbook!" By Mary Sue
>>
>>7743540
Bump
>>
>>7743540
>making a serious study of foundations in their own right
I have some bad news for you anon
>>
>>7743540
how advanced are u? have u checked out enderton mathematical logic? thats a good start if u havent done any model teories or logic stuffs
>>
>>7744413
what are the news tell me

>>7744419
I'll check it out, thank you!
>>
>>7743524
>Only exceptional students manage to pick up proofs while studying a poof based subject
You what, m808?
>>
>>7745787

Few students learn proofs while reading baby rudin. I know of only one.
>>
>>7745787
>>Only exceptional students manage to pick up calculus while studying a calculus based physics
>>
>>7746186
Then the proofs must be very cryptic.

>>7746189
I doubt that.
>>
>>7746663

Physics books aren't written to teach you calculus.
>>
>>7746186
>>7745787
>>7743524
>pick up proofs
The fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>7741638
Your basic mathematics/proof skills suck. Go back and master hs lvl alg, trig, geo and be able to prove decently well.

I mean sure you could just try and man through it, but sooner or later you're going to need those basic skills. Might as well go ahead and back track now and save a little bit of your sanity.
>>
>>7748039
Learning about proofs, how to structure and write them and the main ideas of them. Just "picking them up" as you go is really hard and counterproductive, it's better to read from a book like "How to prove it: A structured approach"
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.