[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the biological purpose of schadenfreude? Why does it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1431106083159.jpg (362 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
1431106083159.jpg
362 KB, 1280x848
What is the biological purpose of schadenfreude? Why does it make me laugh when someone gets hurt? Just recently I lol'd my ass off when I heard my neighbor had cancer. I barely even know that guy. Really wondering, at what point in evolution did schadenfreude develop? Can monkeys laugh at other monkey's pain?
>>
>>7739941
Being happy that you are healthy? making it seem valuable to be healthy from a biological standpoint I guess.
>>
Never heard of the term but laughing at others unfortunate events is a coping mechanism. As the other anon pointed out, it gives you perspective on your own health. Additionally it negates your urges to worry or think about how bad it would be to have cancer and be told you have 1 year to live. You can just laugh, be labelled as cruel and move on with your day instead of being labelled as death row.
>>
>>7739941
>Just recently I lol'd my ass off when I heard my neighbor had cancer.

Wow that's pretty edgy. I imagine all the sharp edges could help defend against predators.
>>
>>7739941
In the past it compelled our hominid ancestors to murder things by getting addicted to the pleasure of murder, grab a blunt object then hit it on something feels good right? Well our hominid ancestors like erectus needed to be addicted to killing things just to survive because hominids are that shit at surviving in ancient Africa.

Though chimps are sadist just like us meaning we may have been demented fucks long before we could walk so the purpose could be just a mechanism to make us more violent or something.
>>
I'm almost certain that schauddenfreude is a perceived phenomena well into the modulated effects of intent as it stands to subjectify one's existence as separate from another's.
I think that it exists solely to facilitate an attitute similar to ethnocentrism as that attitude acts as a cultural fuel to the culture as such.
Kind of like how matrifocal cultures tend to relegate the well being of others not in the family as..."not you". I think that's how hitler managed to play over the emotions of people in his convincing the german peoples that among them was someone that needed the understanding, as it could happen within the "confines of the law". I do believe that is how a lot of people today tend to their emotions as a way to manage the influx of emotion against people in their own family.

Little autist on 4chan is treated like shit ny family for being lazy. Same kid goes to school thats majority white, as is he, and shares a class with one black student. This kid isn't the smartest kid and so gets little recognition.
One day he is called up to the front of the class to solve a math problem. He gets it wrong. No one laughs or says a thing but he knows its "wrong" and that bothers him. Later the black kid gets called up to do a word problem and cant seem to even start bc the english is weird to him. The white kid then laughs outloud which then causes the other students to jump in.
They leave the class and from then on the white kid makes fun of the black kid by throwing monickers in broken english at him.

Schaudenfreude. The biological purpose is security. Where a young child typically seeks out hormones similar to his mother's, at an older age this child will seek out the same seratonin/endorphin reaction and in certain rigid cultures like white culture will find that certain responses are triggered by responding to situations in an ethnocentric fashion.
>>
>>7739961
Cats of the carnivora order also have sadism meaning it could just be eventual cognitive trait of any successful carnivore meaning eventually most meat eating dinosaurs would become sadistic. As for why the human chimp ancestor became a sadist while gorillas, gibbons and orangutans are peaceful it could just be a random brain mutation. However in the past maybe the HCA was more carnivorous and the sadism allowed it to become addicted to carnivorous behavior. The sadism on the otherhand is the most cancerous thing that could have happened to humans because it is this one cognitive trait that makes us kill eachother the moment we get pissed off. The sadism of habilis was so great that is it was solitary predator since it would torture or kill any member of its species for fun.
>>
>>7739974
If it's a predatory trait, it makes some sense as "finding weaknesses". Do psychopaths feel schadenfreude often?
>>
>>7739941
You're an asshole. There's no biological reason for it.
>>
>>7740030
Fucking this. OP is just a dickhead.
>>
File: psychos2010.jpg (8 KB, 570x132) Image search: [Google]
psychos2010.jpg
8 KB, 570x132
>>7739941
Schadenfreude is a bit outdated, the new trend is straflust.
Is this a repeat performance of the final years of the roman empire?

>>7740026
In a way, but the reference frame of the normal human psyche does not quite apply here. They are indeed intra-species predators but what comes closer to their delight would be a cat playing with a mouse before killing it. For the (essential) psychopath there is no concept of evil, no ethical conflict because due to a neurological defect the capacity to develop a conscience is absent. Give them a paradise, they'll turn it into a hell.
>>
That's pretty edgy bro. There's dark humor, and then there's just being a dick.

If you start to enjoy torturing animals, I'd go see a doc.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.