[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would I be an idiot to try to haul ass through Khan Academy and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
Would I be an idiot to try to haul ass through Khan Academy and other various supplemental texts to place into Calculus 1 before university starts in the next three weeks? I feel like I'd be wasting my time taking Trigonometry or College Algebra. My plan right now is to study every other hour that I'm awake for the next three weeks, taking the placement test one time in the middle to see my progress, and then one last time at the end to see if I made the cut.
>>
Not necessary. People who have the edge in the first week tend to fall back to the median during the first month anyway.

Just chill mang.
>>
>>7739074
What do you mean? The recommended schedule for my major(EE) is calculus 1 for the first semester.
>>
>>7739072
Don't do that. The easy classes will give your GPA a boost while you're adjusting to college and you can never have too much algebra and trig practise before taking calculus.
It's always the algebra and trig that fucks you in the ass not the calculus stuff (because that's actually exciting and interesting so it's easier to learn).
>>
>>7739072
Learn you retard, why do you need /sci/'s approval.
Besides you will have a hard time doing anything calc related without having a good grasp of alg and trig so for gods sake stop browsing and cram as fast as you can
>>
>>7739075
What do you mean placement test? Didn't you already get accepted to university?
>>
>>7739082
I did, but they basically let you take it all of the way up to the first day of class as you can change your schedule around as much as you'd like.

>>7739078
Well, my only actual options are to take a College Algebra 1 class, then next semester a single Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry class, and THEN Calculus 1 starts the semester after that OR I take two math classes this semester(Plane Trigonometry and College Algebra II and Analytic Geometry).... which should I do? I really don't want to waste two semesters just preparing for Calculus. I'm going for the summer as well, by the way.
>>
>>7739088
Study basic algebra, equations and solving factoring etc. Study basic triangular geometry. Trig should be easy enough. You can study slightly more challenging topics during your trig class. Then take college alg 2 and you should be ready for calc. Study precalc topics before you take it like basic idea of limits and what the general idea of a deriv and integral is.
>>
File: 1450116884459.jpg (175 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1450116884459.jpg
175 KB, 900x1350
>>7739074
>>7739078
cucks detected

>OP says he's going to be 'EE'
>'EE' is Electrical Engineering
>Engineering
>engineers usually go for 5 years anyway to get an extra internship on their resume and spread out classes more
>OP will be going for 6 fucking years to uni if he stays back a couple of semesters and does the above typical plan that engineer majors pull

6 fucking years vs 5 years

you will graduate in 2021-2022

or 2020, all because you didn't listen to the cucks in your 4chan thread back in 2016

but I will admit, you'd better be solid in your math or EE is going to suck and you'd probably wish that you spent extra time preparing in algebra etc

>>7739094
>OP stays back two semesters doing anons gay ass plan
>lol muh college algebra 2 first semester
>lol muh trig class second semester
>wow only one year later and I now get to start calculus 1
>i'm a year behind and have as much knowledge of math as i would have if i crammed with more money and time saved
y tho
>>
>>7739103
Op said he could take trig and college alg 2 in one semester. This isn't a bad option if he doesn't feel ready to take calc 1 with a basic understanding of algebra. Not everyone is autistic and can effectively learn 2 semesters of mathematics in 3 weeks
>>
File: MilkyWayComet3.jpg (403 KB, 1084x971) Image search: [Google]
MilkyWayComet3.jpg
403 KB, 1084x971
>>7739094
Take as much time as you possibly can.

Hear me out, OP.

Say it takes you six years to graduate, if we include >>7739103 shtick about taking the extra year for another internship etc as engineering majors typically do, and most majors should take a tip and do the same

Lets say you start at College Algebra 1 for the first semester, and then go for that second class that is basically Pre-Calculus during the summer, which you said you're going to.

Point #1
You'll start at Calculus 1 with two full semesters of COLLEGE LEVEL review/practice and without a doubt will be one of the top guys in your major/class as all of the freshman that just got out of high school, even the ones proficient in math, are too new to uni and will probably not be able to adjust as they just fucking got there, while this is your THIRD semester; you already know the drill. You know how to study well. You have two semesters under your belt

Point #2

You will only be taking one math class per semester, meaning you have at least 3 other classes to fill your schedule, MEANING that you will be able to EASILY wipe out 6+ required classes for your major before you even start in Calculus 1, MEANING you will be having practically 12 credit semesters every semester while everyone else is juggling 15-17 credit semesters because they just HAD to start at Calculus 1 when they arrived.

Point #3

In doing all of this, you'll have a much better GPA that is padded from one year of classes. If you even did fuck up, the possibility of happening being much lower than your peers, it won't even fucking affect you as much.

God damn, I'm good at planning shit. Sure, you'll graduate two semesters later, but so what? At least you're basically guaranteed to get a high GPA and actually graduate, understanding what you learned.
>>
>>7739128

This guy's got it. Take the easy math route, OP.

Study calculus in the background afterward.
>>
>>7739128
this would be such overkill tbqh
>>
>>7739088
I was slow and did algebra 1, then trigonometry/analytic geometry and it worked out great, but if time is a real issue for you and you're motivated (read, can spend hours a day sitting in the library, not your dorm, doing math problems) you could definitely do it in one semester.
>>
>>7739146
Oh, so you did exactly the same thing? Maybe I should just stay in College Algebra 1...
>>
>>7739078
yeah it has nothing to do with derivatives

. . .

only part of calculus people struggle with is "algebra and trigonometry"
>>
>>7739128
this seems like a troll
>>
>>7739194
Obviously it's not the only part but it's the hardest to fix when you're struggling and it's necessary for everything.
>>
>>7739128
no
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.