[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muh Crystals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: vanadinite on white barite (2).jpg (352 KB, 1600x1323) Image search: [Google]
vanadinite on white barite (2).jpg
352 KB, 1600x1323
Sup /sci/, need realitively simple crystals to grow, I've already tried the simple ones, but I'm looking for some more challenging ones I can do at home, I want to try out copper chloride, but no luck so far.
>>
Get a high pressure high temperature chamber, run it for a few hundred years and you'll get some really impressive results.

I fucking hate crystals that humans can't make in a reasonable timeframe.

It's one of the few things you just can't fucking do.
>>
I never knew people made crystals out of different shit as a hobby. I know nothing about this or how it works but it seems fun, can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>7737416
It's fun because chemistry, but it's still a pain in the ass.

I'd recommend using Epsom salts (MgS), copper sulfate, or if you want copper chloride, i mixed copper sulfate and some plain salt together in hot water, DO NOT stick anything metal in it, it corrodes stuff really well.

if you want actual crystals of CuCl, then filter out the precipitate of the CuSO and NaCl, and then add water to it, dissolve it all, and then slowly evaporate the water over a few hours, should work
>>
>>7737421
I remember doing simple stuff in school like making large sugar crystals. I've always had awful luck with chemistry classes though, maybe this will motivate me to study it more, since I have no idea how this really works. Thanks for this
>>
>>7737446
google is your friend, my friend
>>
the thumbnail looked like a bloody tissue
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 585x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 585x599
Wow what a coincidence I just started reading about growing crystals yesterday and I was hoping to try it after finals are over. Didn't think there'd be a lot of other people doing it

I was going to start with NaCl crystals since it seems to be the cheapest and simplest one but I also wanted to try CuSO4, does anyone know how I can go about obtaining the sulfuric acid? I don't have a car/car battery and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to buy acid online. Also, not trying to shell out too much money
>>
>>7737553
just look in your hardware store for something along the lines of root killer or algae control, you should find some
>>
>>7737407
i assume you have access to a lab and chemicals? then try the following reaction. you'll need concentrated sulfuric acid and tetrachloromethane. just mix 100 ml of each in a flat bowl and stirr. within 5 minutes, you should see the very beautiful crystals of COCl2 .
>>
>>7737553
You can get sulphuric on amazon, it isn't a explosive precursor (apparently) so you can get it.
>>
>>7737553
>but I also wanted to try CuSO4, does anyone know how I can go about obtaining the sulfuric acid?

Why do you need sulfuric acid?
Just purchase some copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate powder and put some of it into water.
>>
>>7737621
real chemist would never say "tricholoromethane" though
>>
File: Grow_cb8152_2768070.jpg (59 KB, 427x500) Image search: [Google]
Grow_cb8152_2768070.jpg
59 KB, 427x500
Here's a classic, but maybe it's too easy for OP.
>>
>>7737421
>>7737553

>all these meme crystals
>not glorious perfect alum octahedron master race
>>
Just gotta whiteknight, for my own conscious. These instructions make toxic gas, NOT crystals. Don't do it.

Yeah, I'm a faggot.
>>
>>7738413
>>7738444
These instructions I mean.
>>
>>7738443
Finally someone posted alum.
>>
>>7737407
Dissolve your shit in a solvent then layer with an anti- yet still miscible solvent... if that doesn't work, throw it in a freezer and pray.

Goddamn, growing crystals of high enough quality that will diffract is the bane of my existence
>>
File: Mvp_a00b25_5769000.jpg (89 KB, 628x637) Image search: [Google]
Mvp_a00b25_5769000.jpg
89 KB, 628x637
>>7737945
I suppose that'd be easier and simpler but I guess muh autism is spiking and I want something more hands-on that involves more steps. Although I do gotta say, I wouldn't be doing this stuff in a lab so I've been kind of reluctant on choosing which reagents I should work with. How safe/difficult is it to store/handle sulphuric acid at home?
>>
>>7738413
Just to be safe, hope you all know this will create chlorine gas, and will kill you if you try to do this stupid shit
>>
>>7738413

is this how thorium is made
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.