[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the cushiest job a person could get a degree in,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1446589073072.webm (864 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446589073072.webm
864 KB, 400x400
what's the cushiest job a person could get a degree in, where they have a ton of free time to do hobbies while still being on a lucrative salary?

be it engineering or science, applications or research, what tops it all in terms of income, schedule flexibility, and overall proficiency with science & math?
>>
Imagination Engineer.
>>
>>7736363
i said proficiency with math and science not dicks and manbutts.
>>
I know what job you're talking about!
You're talking about being a millionaire who pays people to make himself more money.

thats a good dejree
>>
>>7736385
can i double major in being a millionaire AND having a big benis?
>>
cushy jobs aren't gained from degrees they are gained from connections
>>
>>7736355
Kill yourself
>>
>>7738652
Mad because youre locked into suicide shifts huh
>>
>>7736355
Prostitution. In other words any engineering degree will prepare you
>>
>>7738589
This.
>thinking math or science will get you anywhere while being an antisocial autist.
>>
>BS in engineer
>60k starting at cushy quality control position
I know several engineers who do this.

>geophysics
>do computation in the oil field
>90k internships

I know one person who did this. It's a lot of work, but much less and less stressful than most research. You basically sell out to the oil companies.

>pharmacy
>eventually hit 6 figures
Probably the one you're looking for. 4 year pharmacy degree instead of college, go work at CVS or a hospital. Can easily make a large sum of money. It might be soul sucking, it might not. After working several customer service jobs, I can tell you I would take my stressful, 29k, grad school salary/life over an 80k cushy customer service job 99/100 times.
>>
>>7739052
what about 3D graphics programmers would that be cushy?
>>
>>7739308
way too competitive.
>>
>>7736355
become a geologist

If you dont like being outdoors then youre shit out of luck, but if your hobbies include outdoorsy stuff you are basically set

I have never met a geologist who wasn't laid back and enjoying life, while being well paid. You just have to like the sort of lifestyle that goes along with it.
>>
>>7739348
what kind of lifestyle? when you say outdoors is he prospecting land and shit?
>>
>>7739348
Will geology jobs have to worry about automation or lack of employment in the coming 40+ years? I'd imagine as oil and mining dries up, so would the money/jobs in geology
>>
>>7739350
It depends since geologists can get lots of different kinds of work. I know one who works for the oil companies and basically just inspects stuff, but most of them go out in the middle of nowhere doing i have no idea what for the government. (one of them monitors the effects of fracking on the environment)

But basically think of hiking out into the woods and not bathing for a week, like a camping trip, while inspecting dirt or something.

>>7739351
Oil will probably hit parts of it, but there's other uses for people who understand what the ground below you is likely to do. One of my friends did stuff for the government inspecting the ground on military bases for some reason or another. I honestly never asked too much about the technicalities of what they did, because they always had hilarious stories about their exploits.

The one thing in common though is they all seem like they have a good time. But again, if you dont like being outdoors it would probably be suffering.
>>
Fire saftey engineering.

Just drafting and stamping designs in a nice office and telling more qualified technicians what to do.

You might be expected to be there at inspection though, so pick a relaxed state like any red state.
>>
>>7739366
>Fire engineering

sounds dank as fuck. what's the pay like?
>>
>>7739369
$70k, which is a lot where I am. I have a bachelors in mechanical as well as osha certification and all nicet certification levels in fire saftey systems, low voltage communication and security systems. No one is more qualified in my state so I get a lot of leverage.

But, it took 60+ hour days 5-7 days a week for 12 years to get this comfortable.
>>
>>7739394
>60+ hour days
>>
>>7736368
Imagination engineer, or imagineer, is the title given to the engineers which Disney hires to design their amusement parks.

I would agree that it is the answer to OP's question
>>
File: meme.jpg (15 KB, 229x200) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
15 KB, 229x200
>>7739492
damn that sounds fun. I'd be able to make my roller coaster tycoon dreams into a reality.
>>
>>7739406
60+ hour weeks

I'm pretty drunk. Its a perk and a curse
>>
>>7736355
Honestly man if you just want cushy job, look into the trades.

I'm serious. Yes working on a car is dirty and gross and you get hurt etc. but suck it up. You get paid very well and honestly it's fun. You get to stay in shape and it's honestly not that stressful. You have a very valuable skill and once you get some experience it's difficult to fuck up. Plus you can show up drunk/high and no one gives a shit.
>>
>>7736355
Trust fund kid.
>>
>>7739529
>you can show up drunk/high and no one gives a shit

Have you honestly even ever had a real job or are you just spewing this shit for the hell of it?
>>
>>7739529
Working in a garage does NOT keep you in shape. Any fat ass can change out a transmission. Most people can't because low confidence, low intelligence or lack of tools/work space.
>>
>>7739547
You're way more likely to stay in shape changing transmissions than sitting in an office.
>>
>>7739550
>implying
>>
Honestly, professor at a small university.

I go to a small university. The professors take a bit of a pay cut, but they are not pressured at all for research. In the business school, professors are required one paper every three years. Some work more than that--I had an econ professor who published multiple times a year and was pretty well respected in his field, but this is not really the norm.

One of my favorite professors is a Finance professor. Really smart guy, but he lives an absolutely chill life. Makes over 140k a year, not including benefits, rarely publishes, and only teaches on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He literally always has a three day weekend, works like 2 days a week during the summer, has holidays off, and basically uses test banks for tests. He does put in a little bit of work planning his lessons, because he doesn't use slides, but for what he makes, he hardly works.

Of course, he could make a lot more money in finance working for a large investment bank or hedge fund, but he prefers a life of leisure for less money.

If you want a super cushy job, and you're relatively smart compared to the average populace, a professor at a small university is like the god job.
>>
>>7739052

>using your geology knowledge to destroy the planet.
>>
>>7739567
that's disgusting, 140k to be a teacher...2 days a week! That reminds me of the extravagance that occurred before the housing bubble. Sounds like an education bubble.
>>
>>7739619

Most math professors teach only 1 class / semester. Of course they are expected to do research.
>>
>>7739529
>>7739540

He's serious bro. Not all bosses are cool with it and on Union sited you'd be thrown off in an instant. But heaps of tradies have beers for lunch, smoke weed before work or are on the pipe.
Personally i save it for after work but its normally to be surrounded by drunk stoners at work some times when you're a tradie
>>
>>7739567
nepotism everyone.
>>
>>7739642
OP here

how hard is it to get a professorship?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.