[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any other EE guys here that think electronics engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: circuit_board.jpg (86 KB, 580x280) Image search: [Google]
circuit_board.jpg
86 KB, 580x280
Are there any other EE guys here that think electronics engineering is the most boring, dry shit ever?
>>
Why are you in EE if you think that? For the money?
>>
Nah, I like it
>>
>>7736145
nope, I legitimately enjoy it
>>
Unless you are separating electrical engineering and electronics engineering. Then, at that point, I'm curious on what you are studying in EE that doesn't have to do with electronics in some way? Embedded systems? Power (now that's boring as hell)? EM? Or are you really just a programer/cs major who's managed to slap an EE on their diploma and just runs around coding verilog and c.
>>
>>7736151
No, I just find electronics design for be boring as hell. Who wants to look at resistors and transistors on circuit boards all day? There is such cooler stuff like telecommunications, power, and control. Why, do you like it?
>>
>>7736167
Man, you are a rare one. My school has special scholarships for the duds who can sit through boring power and controls because we don't get enough.
>>
File: power.jpg (369 KB, 960x340) Image search: [Google]
power.jpg
369 KB, 960x340
>>7736171
>tfw pic related makes you rock hard
>>
>>7736167
err, the circuit is basis of all electrical and electronic engineering. telecommunications, power and control all heavily involve circuitry and circuit design. there's no escaping it.

it's like trying to do maths without arithmetic, even the most abstract proof has numbers in there somewhere.
>>
>>7736145
EE is literally one of the most diverse fields.
You can do anything from IC design to autonomous robots and medical imaging equipement.
You might not like the 3 courses you have to take on circuit analysis, but I'll suck it up.
>>
>>7736187
*you will have to
>>
>>7736171
I wish somebody would offer me a scholarship for things like that. In my case my teachers don't even get what im talking about.
>>
>>7736145
Physicist here. I have worked on things from chip/component design and fabrication, analogue and digital design and fabrication and I think it is fun stuff.

Oh, and if you are a reasonably good analogue designer you will never have problems getting a job. At one job interview I had hardly sat down before the guy asked me if I were any good in analogue design.q

Combine analogue design with low noise or high speed or RF and you are golden.
>>
>>7736145
My major is EE and I very much hate it. I'm focusing on my CS & Soft engineering double major more. The reason of me still continuing is that they have really good courses about control theory and signal processing, better than the CS department. I agree on the boring stuff part, its just putting in some values and doing some predefined procedure (analog digital electronics ,circuit theory), no creativity and intelligence involved like devising some algorithm. You might think of some Design problems but they are pretty dumb and depend on luck as there is no way other than iterating over random values to meet the criteria for amplification of some signal, frequency response, etc. Worse, the ee department in my university is one of the most elite departments picking the most hardworking students (we have an exam like south Koreas). Since the proffesors don't want to give A to everyone, and can't make the exams harder anymore, they rely on bulk calculational complexity and grade students by solving speed / calculation mistakes etc, by not allowing calculators to the point of providing log tables in exam sheets where they ask questions that would take an hour each and giving 75 min for the whole exam. And there are still people that are able to get 90/100. Then you stop believing in yourself, that you can one day become an academician and teach discrete math to kids like you. You stop believing in life itself and you stop trying to steer your fate into something less bad than your future, and finally leave it completely to the hands of god.
>>
>>7736657
you sound embittered because you don't have it in you to be an engineer
>>
EE major, CS minor, I like the idea of being able to switch between hardware/software, haven't gotten any FUCKING INTERNSHIPS but I just started my second year so....
>>
>>7736708
I always knew that I could never be an engineer, but they don't pay anything to non engineers /doctors in my 3rd world country so I had no choice. Only If I had applied to CS. I was misleaded to pick EE believing that I could also learn about computers there. Stupid I was.
>>
>>7736745
what you talking about?

I'd say comp arch, digital electronics, algorithms, discrete maths, programming, processor design etc. are all courses about computers. We took all of these in just the first two years of uni.
>>
>>7736762
That doesn't really sound like a traditional EE program. Sounds like a CE
>>
>>7738116
or an ECE
>>
>>7738116
Nope, it's EE. Maybe it's because I go to a top uni or because it's in the UK but either way all those courses were mandatory in the first two years along with power, EM, analogue, comms, signals, control etc.
>>
>>7736145
The only subject I found usless is analog design, lossing your time working on the active regions when in modern real world everything can be build using switching devices (well maybe not VHF ones).
>>
>>7736145
Make a sweet amp nigga
>>
>>7736231

Damn. I'm taking an RF design class next semester, this made me feel great.
>>
next year I will have to deside which route, im thinking telecomunications but some say its the hardest and a lot of Math.

Automatic is some phisycs,but I dont like physics,rather take the harder math then physics
>>
>>7736657
Programmers hardly ever come up with something new, m8. They mostly borrow from premade algorithms and design patterns (sometimes they literally copy and paste off stackexchange).

Same shit as building circuits. You put together premade parts. Join a hardware startup or get into an r&d job if you think that's boring. Developing enterprise software is just as boring in my experience.
>>
>>7738651
Stay the course and you will have better job security than most. With LTE getting real hot these days there will be a great need for people who can actually create RF amps with the insane linearity that is required. Lousy frontend performance can no longer be rescued with lots of DPS magic - you simply need the performance in the frontend.

Antenna design has also faltered in recent times as all effort was poured into DSP and software. Result is that signal is lost and connection dropped. A good anetnna designed to match the RF frontend will be another focus in the coming years.

If possible try to get a position when you can get your name on patent applications since that will be essential on your CV.
>>
>>7739903 that depends on what kind of job you have as a soft engineer. Why do you think people enter programming contests to get noticed by companies/unis? Have you ever taken a look at that algorithms book lying over there, trust me, its not about how to use some google api like that thing you read on stackexchange. EE is definitely inferior to CS.
>>
File: memsnanoinje.jpg (291 KB, 798x600) Image search: [Google]
memsnanoinje.jpg
291 KB, 798x600
I study CS and get excited over MEMS

does anyone know what kind of machines produce MEMS? Laser cutters?
>>
>>7736145
I like circuit design but I'm not very good at it, most of my circuits never work for some reason even if I design them by the book.

I enjoy power and telecommunications more to be honest.
>>
>>7740007
No, they use the same lithographic methods used in the semiconductor industry.
>>
>>7736745
Where are you from, anon/
>>
>>7740007
>Literal mem subject
>>
>>7740048
why don't you use SPICE?

if it works in the sim odds are it's going to work when you put it together.
>>
>>7740093
I can work with spice just fine but when I'm in the lab things don't go as well.

It may be the faulty electrical components, me not connecting the components correctly (I'm pretty bad at soldering), etc.
>>
>>7740104
putting circuits together is pretty straight forward for me. you just have to go section by section and always test the signals after each one.

still, how likely is it that you'll need to put together physical circuits?
>>
>>7740090

what a creative pun

pls go b 2 /b/ kid
>>
>>7736174
You know the reality is AC wave equation solving right? If you want to actually work with HV systems then be a linesman.
>>
>>7740086
Turkey.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.