[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does intelligence mean to you, and do you think you can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1448478214992.png (255 KB, 1000x998) Image search: [Google]
1448478214992.png
255 KB, 1000x998
what does intelligence mean to you, and do you think you can increase it?
>>
>>7735736
That chart is bullshit. Are select people highly existentially intelligent and can answer the answers to life and death?
>>
>>7736153
Yes.
>>
>>7736153
I think so, only from recent experiences with roommates and friends being resistant to or unable to comprehend existentialist conversation.
>>
>>7736249
>Dave: Dude what time's the movie?
>Ted: Hold on let me check
>You: Do you guys think we're living in a simulation?
>>
Is there any relation between neighbouring intelligence types?
>>
>>7736273
Yes, that's kind of like the g-factor
>>
>>7735736

>do you think you can increase it?

Yes.
>>
>>7736264
>Dave: Shut the fuck up faggot. We're tired of your pseudo-philosophy bullshit.
>Ted: Let's go take his mom out for a spin again.
>>
hefty neuronal activity
>>
>>7735736
Is intelligence the sum of your knowledge or the ability to acquire knowledge or the ability to make connections and hypothesis and is that even a linear ramp, say you were really good at picking up a lot of varied simpler things but found it harder to master one specific field or the other way around?

At least I know it isn't fucking "bodily-kinesthetic"
>>
>>7735736
Intelligence is relative. ie, you cannot be just be intelligent, you need something to be intelligent about.

I'd just loosely consider intelligence as the total spectrum of mental operations a system can perform, and how much of those lend advantageously to various tasks.

You can break it down, but it gets arbitrary. For example you can measure individual attributes, obviously. Working memory capacity and fluidity of rewriting that memory, addressing it, and manipulating it. Spatial processing, capacity to quickly perform spatial transforms, prediction, pattern recognition, reaction time. Long term memory recall, accuracy, and amount of detail. Creativity, ability to bridge gaps. Theory of mind, reverse engineering, perceptiveness.

Etc. It's useless to try to measure unless you take into account the problems with your measure. No matter what, you're going to end up with a varying quantization error riddled mess, because you cannot address the whole. It's much more important to encourage and teach people to understand themselves and improve. Not push the idea of static hardware,
>>
>>7736264
>>7738877
ahahaha
>>
>>7735736
>what does intelligent mean to you?
The human intelligence is the ability to connect things
>do you think you can increase it?
Yes
>>
Intelligence is being able to learn things quickly. Being able to read and extract knowledge from books is a form of learning, so you should read more so you become swifter at it.
>>
>>7739404
Well said.
>>
>>7735736
Newborns cannot speak a language. Adults can speak a language. Intelligence is the ability to acquire a skill, and the ability to perform/practice that skill.

Any time you make any sort of performance, you are using intelligence, any time you acquire any sort of performance, that is intelligence.

Intelligence can be increased (see learning a new language)
Intelligence can be decreased (see forgetting said language after brain damage)

t. intelligence professional
>>
intelligence to me entirely means to be open to new things. many people are stuck with their beliefs, thats what makes them inferior.

can you increase it? i dont think so. people are either born with it or they were taught wrong when they were young

PS: i like your chart OP. definitely better than those IQ tests. it shows that different people have different talents on different fields, but thats really not what i would call intelligence
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.