[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151020_175316.jpg (175 KB, 873x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151020_175316.jpg
175 KB, 873x1280
ITT let's talk about degree in physics, research work, discovery forecast, physics ebin meme and related
>>
Im thinking of studying physica as a degree so that i can get into expiremental deaign of qbit processors that use high temperature superconductors and magnetocaloric refridgeration
>>
File: moot dress and girl.jpg (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
moot dress and girl.jpg
95 KB, 640x480
>>7735442
>degree
I prefer radians but ok.
>>
Got my exams in 3 weeks, kill me
>>
>studying physics
>tfw I always feel my math knowledge is lackluster
I don´t know if I feel inferior to mathematicians but for some reason I always compare my courses to my math buddies and end up feeling like shit. Don´t know if anyone can relate.
>>
File: 1434208727862.gif (924 KB, 180x172) Image search: [Google]
1434208727862.gif
924 KB, 180x172
>>7737571
If you went to a good university, you would take mandatory real analysis first semester and learn all the necessary toolwork and theory way before you apply it, you american cocksucker.
>>
>>7737573
I took real anal and many other subjects with mathematicians or at the same level, but there was a point were I got highly specilized and diverged from what mathematicians were taking. I mean, how on earth I´m going to tackle differential geometry without the great backround on ancient and modern geometry mathematicians took? I feel unprepared for higher level courses, thats all.
>>
>>7737581
Yeah, I'm finding it difficult to catch up in areas like category theory, algebraic geometry, topology, general abstract algebra (cohomology, coboidisms, rings and ideals) that is seeing play in much of present day research level theoretical physics. Sure I have a better grasps of physical examples and insights but I think having a strong grounding in the theoretical fundamentals would almost be more of a boon.
>>
File: wMZuo.gif (1 MB, 209x180) Image search: [Google]
wMZuo.gif
1 MB, 209x180
>>7737513
I get it.
>>
>>7735526
Has anyone gotten single qubit functionality in high Tc superconductors? I have been out of that field for several years, but back then everything was aluminum/aluminum oxide Josephson junctions. The problem with the high Tc stuff was that the states were unstable and tunneled out too easily, IIRC.
>>
Bros i think i solved quantum gravity ama
>>
>>7738727
Today the most popular way to realize qubits are through majorana zero modes (MZM's).

Theoretically, the simplest model that exhibits them is Kitaev's 1d p-wave superconductor. The hamiltonian is a 1d lattice of spinless fermions with an onsite potential, nearest neighbor hopping, and a p-wave pairing term between neighboring sites. You can rewrite the fermion operators as two majorana operators so that now every site, i, hosts two majoranas ([math]\gamma_{Ai},\gamma_{Bi}[/math]) instead of one fermion ([math]c_i[/math]). In this basis and in the limit of zero chemical potential, the Hamiltonian has only one term that pairs B and A majorana operators of neighboring sites, [math]\gamma_{B,i}\gamma_{A,i+1}[/math]. At this point we notice that if we have a finite chain with open boundary conditions, then the majoranas, [math]\gamma_{A,1}[/math] and [math]\gamma_{B,N}[/math] do not appear in the Hamiltonian. This implies a topologically protected two-fold degeneracy as we can form a fermion operator out of these two boundary majorana operators. It is topological in the sense that it depends on the fact that a finite string has two endpoints and the degeneracy cannot be affected by locally acting on the chain, you have to act on both ends to affect it.

Experimentally, this model can be realized by putting a 1d semiconductor nanowire with strong spin orbit coupling on top of a normal s-wave superconductor with a magnetic field applied along the wire. The spin-orbit parameter with a magnetic field will create an effectively spinless regime which with the s-wave proximity coupling will yield effective p-wave pairing. Then we need to just fine-tune the knobs so that we sit in the topological superconductor phase.
>>
>>7739356
So Majorana qubits fall under the umbrella of superconducting qubits. Good to know. Have you looked into the weird things they are doing with FQHE states and Fibinocci anyons using the proximity effect?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.