[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/ Can you help me get better at competitive programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png (654 KB, 476x599) Image search: [Google]
Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png
654 KB, 476x599
/sci/ Can you help me get better at competitive programming? Please advise the required math to get better at it.
>>
>>7735163
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
Git gud.
>>
>>7735263
> git
xDD nice bro I see what you did there
>>
File: 41YvluOnlsL.jpg (17 KB, 224x320) Image search: [Google]
41YvluOnlsL.jpg
17 KB, 224x320
>>7735163
http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs97si/
http://cpbook.net/

Don't know why you would waste your time with it though...
>>
>>7735185
>>7735293
Thanks guys.

>>7735263
Sorry mate. I didn't get you.
>>
>>7735163
You barely need any math other than a couple of discrete formulas and common sense, just knowing how to work with primes in general.

Focusing on math isn't going to do you much good if you haven't focused on the main topics yet. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.352.1749&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Here's an outline of what you should be doing:

1. Elementary ability training - Doing easy problems fast, understanding the C++ STL data structures and successfully using them in simple application problems. Do Codeforces Div2 A/B and C if you can, and topcoder div2 250 and 500. These should take you no more than 5/10 minutes each and then you're ready to advance.

2. Elementary topics - Dynamic Programming and Graph theory. Dynamic programming should be learned from https://www.topcoder.com/community/data-science/data-science-tutorials/dynamic-programming-from-novice-to-advanced/ but do note it doesn't really take you to "advanced", but from zero to novice. Do EVERY problem there. Elementary graph theory should be learned from >>7735293, you want BFS/DFS, closest path algorithms (Dijkstra, bellman-ford, floyd-warshall), bridges & articulation points, strongly connected components (Tarjan) and minimum spanning tree (Kruskal / Prim).

Once you're here (a month or two), you'll have a better idea on how to train. You want to continue with the other topics on the "Training ICPC Teams" paper. You should be entering all Codeforces contests and Topcoder SRMs and advancing in your general ability as well as specific topics. Basic strings, data structures, algorithms on trees, and tons of DP are good candidates for the next few topics. Pick and choose, and look for exactly what you need to learn from each topic.

>>7735293
Overall competitive programming is an amazing, challenging experience that trains your intuition and your ability and knowledge of algorithms and data structures. If nothing else, it's fun.
>>
>>7735420
Thank you sir.
I really appreciate your effort and I'll definitely follow your advice.
>>
>>7735163

Are you that guy I saw at one of the ACM ICPC regionals this year with that book? Congrats on placing horribly if so.
>>
>>7737595
Nope.
>>
>>7737595
It's a really popular book m8
>>
>>7735286
Leave for >>>/r/eddit fucktard
>>
>>7737874
>>7737702

Alright, well I saw some neckbeard with both that book and an abstract algebra textbook, so I don't think assuming it's an autist from /sci/ after seeing this thread is too much of a leap.

I wonder if he'll ever use that abstract algebra textbook on any problems in a comp setting...
>>
>>7735420
once in a while /sci/ comes through
>>
>>7739742
I've actually encountered problems about finite groups, the goldbach conjecture, linear optimization, the mobius function, etc, etc. There's a lot of breadth on which topics you can encounter in competitive programming, but regionals (especially USA regionals, fucking KEK) are incredibly low on theory where you only need some elementary graph theory and elementary DP to do almost every problem.

Real problems (CF/TC div1, russian regionals, world finals) can get tricky.
>>
>>7739742
>>7737595
[cont >>7740152]
also, I really wouldn't say carrying concrete mathematics is a bad idea at all. it's a good reference for some common formulas in discrete math. unless you have an IMO on your team
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.