[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High school kind-of-cool experiments thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Lockpick.jpg (13 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Lockpick.jpg
13 KB, 220x220
Hi /sci/
I'm dating a girl, and about a week ago I did the non-newton fluid experiment with potato starch and water, you know, the one that if you punch it feels like a wall but if you slowly put your finger in feels like liquid water. She liked it a lot and asked me to show her more "cool science stuff" like that (she has very little background in that).
Now, the thing is, I've been doing a lot of "homescience" stuff in the past with my geek friends, but since I am getting a PhD in mathematics soon I kind of left all that stuff behind (I was pretty surprised I remembered the right quantity of water to make that fluid)... and, even doing the stuff I recall, I always did experiments that weren't that beautiful (like measure some constant or or see for yourself that elastic force is linear - the falling slinky thing, anyone? ) in the eyes of a "commoner". I really can't remember other "cool" things.

So, can you help me with that /sci/? It doesn't have to be basic at all, just don't make it too dangerous!
>>
File: Metal_Ion_Flame_Tests.png (232 KB, 700x491) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Ion_Flame_Tests.png
232 KB, 700x491
Gtfo of here chad
Also sodium and water
>>
1) this isn't /r9k/
2) I haven't had sex in four years and she'll probably leave me soon, I just liked the happiness I saw in her eyes while she was playing with that
3) care to elaborate? If you mean that "it burns" and stuff... how is that exciting? Might as well light up some fireworks.
>>
>>7735160

Draw out cycloids or cardioids or something using a pencil, some string, and different circular objects.
>>
>>7735190
I like this! Thank you kind sir.

Moar?
>>
>>7735160
This is sci m8
Nobody here does any kind of experiments, everyone just circlejerks over theories and ivy league universities.
You won't find a Feynman in here.
>>
>>7735160
Make a very wide mobius strip and cut it in half lengthways. Cut it in half again. Cut those half in half again.

There is a way to make two cylinders come out as a square, or mobius strips with different chirality coming out with two interlocking hearts. I don't feel like trying to explain how to tape them, and the initial "it doesn't become two" of the first suggestion is good on its own. It's probably easy to google for the rest.
>>
smashing nitroglycerin with your erect dick and send your pee pee flying
we do this lab demo for kids once or twice a year
>>
Fire manifested entirely from chemicals seems to evoke interest among those who are not scientifically inclined; I would recommend obtaining both KMnO4 and C3H8O3, and causing them to react (water is an efficient catalyst) and emit a flame. This reaction does not possess the same degree of interactivity as your past demonstration, though she may find it enjoyable.
>>
>>7735198
>le "/sci/ is shit" meme
get out, this is an awesome board

>>7735199
this is supercool and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for

>>7735204
I don't think flames is what I'm looking for, but thank you!
>>
>>7735199
>be me
>subscribe to numberphile
>see video about fun things to do with paper
>japanese man turns two circles into a square
>whatthefuck.jpg
>see him make two hearts
>week later
>do the heart trick for my girlfriend
>gets me laid
It's basically given me an all-access pass to the inside of her pants.

>>7735204
>my HS chem teacher was very fond of keeping his whiteboard clean
>had bottles of ethanol cleaner in spray bottles lined up at the front of the classroom
>we were doing a unit on fuels, alkanes and alcohols
>one lesson left until exams
>teacher lights a candle and shows us some experiment with it
>he then picks up the candle and sprays his ethanol spray at us through the flame and makes a flame thrower
>ohshit.gif
>the ethanol spray was ~40% water so it wasn't the best flame thrower
>he plays with his flame thrower for a few minutes until class is over and tells us we all pass if nobody talks about the flame thrower again
>>
Cymatics, gravity defying fast-spinning flywheels, cylindrical objects downhill speed decided by geometry not weight or size, experiments with waves...

If you had a good physics course you would know a lot.
>>
>>7735285
I hadn't, like I said I am a mathematicians. We do physics, we just don't do experiments (at all)
>>
>>7735160
about a week ago
>>
>>7735358
>about a week ago
sorry what?

>>7735265
lol this is amazing
>>
>I'm dating a girl, and about a week ago I did the non-newton fluid experiment with potato starch and water, you know, the one that if you punch it feels like a wall but if you slowly put your finger in feels like liquid water

Because of the speed of sound, right?
>>
OP, do you mind if I ask how you two met? I'm also in math, but all the women I've got involved with were either in math or engineering. What does she do? How did you manage to get involved with people outside of STEM?

I've barely had time to socialize with people outside of my departments and teams.
>>
How about Van de Graff generator or Tesla coils, those are cool as tits.
>>
>>7735650
Those are pretty cool. Wouldn't that be kind of expensive for OP though? I mean unless he was intent on building one. I'm sure that after a lot of reading he could, but that would be much more like a hobbyist project and less of a cool thing to show a girl.
>>
Get ~400g of black iron oxide and aluminium powder. Mix the two together.
Put some magnesium ribbon in the mixture
Light with a blowtorch and watch the magic happen
>>
>>7735825
>black iron oxide
>not red iron oxide master race
>>
>>7735225
>get out, this is an awesome board
This board is shit. That anon is correct. Most people here can't do basic math nor have attempted elementary science. Most circle jerk over college rankings and their notes they took in class on subjects they have no clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>7735825
Don't do this OP. This creates Mustard gas/
>>
>>7735194
>sir
>moar
Back to reddit!
>>
>>7735918
>reddit shaming
>4chan as a special club

Wow /sci/ really has gone and fallen from where it was.
>>
>>7735160
>cool science stuff
Science isn't really all that "cool". It's just looking at graphs and dealing with paperwork. Unless you like that kinda stuff and think that's cool. Just show her Vsauce and she'll be happy.
>>
>>7736192
This. Science is just data, graphs, and paperwork dealing with boring office stuff and grants. Its mainly paperwork. /sci/ thinks Injeering and Science is just like what they see in Hollywood movies. Its too many meme kids in STEM.
>>
>>7735160
Elastic force appears linear, but it isn't. A spring increases force as it is stretched/compressed.
>>
>>7736192
>>7736210
Science is also cool. It's just that most of its coolness is in diagrams and "normies" can't get it.
But you can also make cool stuff happen. A LOT of cool stuff.

>>7736222
Of course it isn't, but the spring is a very good approximation of the theoretical linear force.

>>7735825
>implying I am stupid
Fuck off
>>
>>7735634
We met at a birthday party of a common friend, I liked her a lot so I asked her out and she said yes

>>7735549
What?
>>
Osmosis.

Baker's yeast (the slightly moist "brick"), two teaspoons of sugar, put in a cup. Solid + Solid, right?

Start stirring/mixing. Soon you'll have a smooth liquid. Out of two solids.

You can safely drink it (good microelements), and it has a very curious taste - it tastes COLD.
>>
>cool science stuff

goddamit show her some youtube videos of cymatics, tell her everything is a wave and music connects us and then fuck her.

why make a science out of it?
>>
>>7737860
and THIS is what I wanted out of you, /sci/. You guys never disappoint me. Thanks

>>7737867
Because I liked the happiness in her eyes while she was doing that. No other reason.
>>
>>7736083
>Wow /sci/ really has gone and fallen from where it was.
>>>/out/
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.