[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Semester Check-up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 30
File: Fail+paper.jpg (294 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Fail+paper.jpg
294 KB, 1280x853
How did your semester go, /sci/?

>Study for literally days before a Calc III final
>Go to final and freeze up, forget everything
>Bomb miserably and end up getting a flat C in the class
>Ended the semester with As and an A- in 4 other courses and a fucking C in math.

Fuck me, honestly.
>>
>>7734735
Consider the following: you just aren't cut out for this.
>>
>>7734735
4.0, feel pretty happy about it.
>>
Why did you think a few days was sufficient?
>>
>do bachelor
>partake internship at power plant
>write report on how internship went
>few months later
>check school website for grade
>got top grade
Well, that was a nice surprise.
>>
>Don't go to half my classes
>Got A's in the classes I attended, got an A- and B+ in the other ones
>Regret not putting in more effort, I definitely could've gotten straight A's this semester.
>>
>>7734735
> be a faggot
> care about grades instead of science
>>
File: mathfullofdreams.png (2 MB, 1439x809) Image search: [Google]
mathfullofdreams.png
2 MB, 1439x809
>Got depressed and stopped doing anything for any of my classes halfway through November
>Barely passed quantum mechanics (I think I'm getting a D)
>Got an A- in an elective
>Should get A's in my other 3 classes (2 math classes, and another major class)
I fucked up, but somehow I'm getting out of this semester just fine.
>>
>>7734735
>don't bother to learn material
>study a few days before final
>mad when i get a C

what the fuck did you expect?
it's not like it's that complicated to apply stokes' theorem and evaluate multiple integrals
>>
>>7734735
A's, an A-, and a B. I expected the B, the A- is because I bombed a final. 20 hours and overlapping finals pushed overwhelmed my time management abilities.
>>
>>7734735
>Spent more time studying than any semester previously.
>Would spend a few hours at least every night reviewing probability and linear algebra
>Spent little time focusing on my finance classes cause they're piss easy

Ended up with A's in the finance classes. Expected this.

A-minus in probability, which honestly surprised me. The stats stuff at the end brought my grade up, as I had done statistics before. I had a rough time with the class, but I did better than expected.

Got a b-plus in econometrics cause I half assed my term project. Didn't really give a shit, and I feel kind of annoyed that I got the grade.

Also got a b-plus in linear. Main reason was because I missed a couple of take home quizzes to turn in, because I overslept the class a few times (8 am), and my jew professor wouldn't give me the quizzes if I didn't go to class. I'm paying for this shit, attendance policies are dumb as fuck, and it annoyed me. Could easily have made an A-minus in the class if my professor wasn't a faggot.

All in all, it was my toughest semester, and I did better than expected.
>>
>>7734735
>Study for literally days before a Calc III final
>Go to final and freeze up, forget everything
Literally exactly what happened to me.
It was all stuff I studied too, I was so excited when I first saw the test, and then boom, couldn't answer more than two questions.
I failed it.
So 2 F's, a C, a B+ (which really should have been at least an A-),a B, and an A.
The A being Tennis.
>>
>>7734863
Git gud faggot
>>
>>7734735

Did well, my GPA has been a 3.89 since Freshman year.
>>
Physics 1 (engineering physics)- designed to kill off the weak.
-get B, 75% on first midterm
-get F, 40% on second midterm
-Final comes around, worth 60% of grade and it's an exit exam (prof states he wants a 50% avg)
-Study my ass off
-Take final
-Walk out thinking hardest the test I've ever written; peers agree.
-first time I metaphorically pray for a pass in a course.
-get course mark back, end up with 88 % almost an A+ in course
-got in the top 7.5% of 800 people in course meaning I clutched the final.
-feels good mayne.jpg
>>
>>7734735
three As and a B

the B was almost a C, thank you curve

one of the As was an 'experimental' class structure which none of the students had any prior knowledge or warning of. it was kind of disseminated to us as the class went along. it was nothing high concept. i would say the experiment was that there was no structure at all! assignments came with little notice, short due dates, and little feedback in terms of grading. i think that it didn't work out so they graded leniently.
>>
File: 1443871116076.jpg (47 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1443871116076.jpg
47 KB, 960x720
>A+ in lin alg
>A+ in diff eq
>A+ in vector calc
>A+ in discrete math

Feel good
>>
>>7734929
>>7734949
>A+

Literally what the fuck
>>
First semester in PhD program (out of undergrad) and I'm already on academic probation

because I blew courses and shit off to bum-rush and get two conference papers published, off to a good start lol
>>
>Symbol grades
Kill yourself right after burning your pre-school tier institution down.
>>
>>7734828
Depression can ruin your academic career. The first time I got I was in your situation only got one bad grade, a few distinctions, didn't fail anything.

It got progressively much much worse to the point where I wouldn't attend a single class an entire semester, skipped low grade class tests and assignments and just study the day before tests and exams. The end result was that my graduation was delayed by an entire semester and I got into a worse grad school than I wanted.

My advice to you is to get clinical help, I've been eating healthy and exercising my entire life, it doesn't help. Get the pills before you ruin your life.
>>
>>7734952
Because 70% of Americans get A they need additional levels to differentiate
>>
>>7734929
>Using dashes instead of greentext

But also I have a similar story for Chemical Engineering 1:
>First midterm got distinctions for all other subjects (Chemistry, EP, Calc. I and the 2 bullshit general engineering + humanities ones)
>ChemE: 49%
>First time in my life I've ever failed at something.
>Feel miserable.
>Consider switching majors.
>Decide fuck it I need to at least try before I quit.
>Spend the next few weeks studying my ass off.
>Second midterm results: 51%
>Never been so satisfied to get a passing grade before.
>Professor announces that 60% of the starting cohort had already drop the class.
>Motivation through the roof.
>In some borderline mythical manner get full marks for exam which was more difficult than either midterm.
>Pass the module with distinction.
>Half the department thought I was a genius for the next 3 years.

Never give up bros. We're all gonna make it.
>>
>>7734966
I'm so glad I'm finally done with coursework as of last month.

Gradschool is great when you only need to focus on your research.
>>
Never dropped below an A in my college life

feels good
>>
>>7735034
>Being proud of attending a symbol using, grade inflated, easy-mode uni
But why?
>>
>>7735034
Yea, that's 'Murrica for you.

In Europe you are seen as the top 10% with 1.5 - 2.00 average (3.00 - 3.5 GPA).

In the US you're a customer. In the EU a true student.
>>
>>7735040
Not ALL American universities are retarded like that.
>>
>go to a community college
>not retarded
>get all As in physics, DEs, linear algebra, and c++
>was fairly easy all things considered.
>>
>>7735040
I hate living in a broken world. Gives me the urge to fix
fix
fix
fix
fix
until you're all burnt out, and tired before you even try. Then you stop all the fix fix fix, because you've realized all things desire to return to a given equilibrium. You fill a hole, it will dig itself again. You dig a hole, time will erase it as well. Patch a hole, it wears through again. Because nothing has truly changed. It always has to be a maddening, ridiculous gradient, for no good reason. People are the problem. People are intrinsically broken, we get together and we form one big broken thing. We're built for failure and inadequacy at the most base level. I'm not good enough. You're not good enough. Nothing is ever truly good enough. You just learn to live with it and find value elsewhere. Everyone has their own little idea, and they all suck. But there is always an answer somewhere, waiting to be known.

Fuck the US. And fuck your EU too. Comparatively you're little better.
>>
>>7735024
I love classes like these. I dont care if they kill my GPA theres nothing more satisfying than at first thinking youre failing the class, but then finding out youre close to top of the class even with your shit grade.
>>
>>7734841
Faggot, I attended lectures all year and did well in all homeworks and prior exams. When I say I studied for days, I mean I literally studied something like 40+ hours for the final.
>>
>>7735040
Actually I'm from an EU uni but I converted the grades. Getting an average of 82 when a first is 70
>>
>A in machine learning, natural language processing, an ethics course and a history elective
>B in a stats course
I had so much to study for other exams that I neglected it and ended up with a low B on the final. Oh well
>>
>>7734735
Flunked Trig and and got C's and D's in all other classes. GPA dropped to a 2.1 so I barely qualify to get Pell Grant. Considering suicide.
>>
>>7735212
No, you're the faggot here since you obviously did something wrong. Did you actually solve the problems completely by yourself? Did you verify that the solutions were correct?
If you did this, there's no way you should've bombed the final.
>>
>>7734893
I'm pretty sure what really happened to you is that you deluded yourself into thinking you knew the stuff when you clearly didn't.
>>
>>7735250
People like to say they 'studied hard' when they go just through a few past exams, but I legitimately invested a fuckton of time into studying it.
I did a majority of the old exams they released (checked answers, redid wrong ones), and did problems sets out of the book that were suggested.
For the weekend before the final, I rewrote all notes even.
>>
>>7735255
But all of this is still fucking retarded cramming. Did you actually keep up with the work during the semester?

Either you didn't, and you're lying. Or (less likely) you did and your brain is just deficient in several areas.
>>
>>7735283
> Did you actually keep up with the work during the semester?

refer to >>7735212
It's not like I skipped lectures all year and thought I'd get away with it with a week of studying.
>>
>>7735024
>using dashes instead of green text

Yah, I'm new to using 4chan. Long time lurker but only became active as of recently.

Also, I know that feeling! Nothing beats it ahah!
>>
>>77350>>7735052
I know, nothing beats that feeling! When I saw the result I became overwhelmed with euphoria. It's honestly the thing that keeps me striving to be in that top percentage category. Classes like that separate the good from the weak
>>
>>7734735
i have an exam on information theory in january i haven't started studying yet but still if i dont get 80% im gonna kill myself
>>
>>7734735
You should just drop out.
We will need more farm workers when trump gets elected.
>>
>>7735010
Its more like 30-40% desu
>>
File: y.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
>>7734735
>he doesn't study every day of the semester
>he doesn't actually have an interest in what he's going to university for

Why even be there?
>>
>>7736740
>le job prospects fais
>>
STEM are courses going pretty well, the mandatory humanities courses are fucking killing me.
>philosophy
>french Canadian literature
Now matter how hard I study I just can't get good at french. I get 10% penalties for language in fucking lab reports in PHYSICS. Should've went to Ontario or something.
>>
>>7734735

All A's in everything except Chromosomes.

>70/105 on the final project I spent weeks on.
>95/100 on the oral presentation I threw together in an evening

Whatever. I got a B. Like everyone got a B so whatevs.
>>
you don''t just "forget" everything. There's obviously a flaw in your studying method. Perhaps work on learning how to learn moar, because once you conceptualize something on a non-superficial manner it gets pretty embedded in the long term memory.

I most likely have a learning disability because of how slow I am to learn something, but I refuse to cram, rote learn, or rush, and yet i always win in the end. Who are you racing? Use your time wisely
>>
>havent attended many lectures since september
>exams start january 18th
>probably going to fail electrodynamics

oh well
>>
File: 1446966990421.png (517 KB, 671x671) Image search: [Google]
1446966990421.png
517 KB, 671x671
>>7734929
>hyping the "difficulty" of Physics I

I don't even mean to sound like a smug cunt, but if you think this was adversity for you, then prepare to be deep-dicked in the next few semesters
>>
>>7736855

Can't you choose more interesting humanities courses? I'm doing most of my diversified education classes in medieval history/lit, I'd kill myself if I had to listen to some self-righteous philosophy professor three times a week.
>>
File: nah fam.jpg (96 KB, 659x438) Image search: [Google]
nah fam.jpg
96 KB, 659x438
>>7734735
Materials Science final tomorrow
this shit is gay
honestly fuck this course, second materials science course i've taken and both have been by FAR the worst courses i've taken in university.

anyone here know this feel?
>>
>>7734735
C in QM I
B in EM I
A in MHD

Grad school's a bitch
>>
>>7737030
I find math and physics easy. So don't get your little " I'm an elder, prepare yourself for courses in the future" hat on. Most often people who tell me that it gets a lot harder are stupid cunts that are just too dumb to learn new material at a fast pace. Like calc 1, physics 1 is easy material wise is for fucking downies but I guarantee you when I say the test was designed to fail 400 people out of 800 it was purposefully designed that way. Besides, I came out near the top of the class soooo...
>>
>>7736864
>All A's in everything except Chromosomes.

>No adenines in his chromosomes

Nigger how are you alive?!
>>
File: 1428732494678.jpg (357 KB, 2048x1972) Image search: [Google]
1428732494678.jpg
357 KB, 2048x1972
>Doing ok in Quantum.
>Kind of ok in everything else.

Fuck around with my medication, get stressed from other shit, end up depressed and not leaving the house for weeks.

End up failing everything.
>>
>>7734735
2.5. That's what you get for having a full time job and a studying full time.
>>
>>7736562
>implying GPA means shit.
Grading system is stupid.
>>
why do some schools do B+,B, and B-? My uni only does B
>>
I get depression at the end of every semester whether I've done good or not goddamnit. Anyway things went well.
>>
>>7737259
More precision. You can break the range from D- to A+ into 12 categories instead of 4.
>>
>>7737030

Physics I was the first class that I took that I found the need to develop good study habits for. Looking back on it, no it wasn't hard, but if I wasn't keeping up and practicing with the material, I think it would have been extremely difficult. Also, professors can do a lot of weird things with basic Newtonian physics, the concepts are very simple, but there are so many ways you can apply them that are not very obvious, so you need to practice with them to get a solid grasp of what/when/how you apply the concepts.

Some people think physics I is hard, some think its easy, I think it just depends on what your study habits are going into the class, and how your professor feels like writing his exams.
>>
File: Grades Fall 2015.png (17 KB, 770x193) Image search: [Google]
Grades Fall 2015.png
17 KB, 770x193
Thought I was getting a C in Digital Logic Design, but I guess not. I sacrificed my grades a bit for my social life this semester but I'm glad I was still able to pull through. Wish my credits were weighted more to my better classes but oh well. Bonus points if you can tell me my school from this
>>
>>7734735
>> A in Analysis 1
>> B+ in Abstract Algebra 1
>>A- in World Mythology
>>F in English (It was a waste of my time so I didn't go to class)
Ended up with a 3.06.
Honestly, I'm more upset getting a B+ in Abstract Algebra than failing English (I'm a math major). When am I even gonna use my English class at all? In plus, ever since 5th grade I've always had A's in my math classes, so getting a B+ just pissed me off slightly. But I passed so in the end, had a good semester.
>>
4 A's and a B+ in a writing class, honestly I was expecting to have mostly Bs and a C that would put me below a 3.0, but I finished with a 3.6
>>
diff eq: A-
Logic and foundations of algebra: A+
Spanish: A-

Still waiting for my sociology class to be graded
>>
I'm surprised so many people have their grades already.
I had my first exam last thursday, I probably won't get any results until next year.
>>
>study for 3 hours at most for any one class the day before the test
>end up with a 3.5-3.6, still waiting on one class
could be worse
>>
>>7734737
Why is everyone in /sci/ like this? In other disciplines if you start out without talent you are encouraged to improve and refine your skills in order to become proficient. It seems that all you people praise is innate skill and fucking despise people who are still developing. why is this?
>>
>>7738034
>When am I even gonna use my English class at all?

Anytime you ever wish to express and/or develop your ideas outside of a mathematical context?
Even mathematical papers require technical writing skills.
>>
>>7735248
I finished my first sem with 1.88gpa first yr engineering. I said its do or die so I actually tried from then on. 3 years later i'm sitting at 3.5 gpa with 3 semesters left of glasses. Just keep going.
>>
>>7738073
Sometimes bullying is just a subtle way of telling you to improve yourself and stop complaining about your problems.

only sometimes tho
>>
>>7734735
Literally studied for days

>maybe actually try studying throughout the semester instead of cramming. Eva use that ahit doesn't work unless you are in lib arts or you are a genius
>>
A+ in world music culture bs
B+ in microbiology
B+ in genetics
B in organic chem II
>>
Intro Engineering (MATLAB): A-
Physics 1: B (fml desu sempai, fuck my prof)
Physics Lab: A
German 1: B+ (89.79% but wateva)
Calc 4: A
Linguistics GE: A-

Overall got a 3.5X so not too bad. Definitely could've been worse considering I also Had a 20hr/wk job

What are y'all taking next semester/quarter? Personally:

Physics 2/lab
DiffyQs
Statics
Microeconomics

Honestly just scared for differentials. I hear it's fairly brutal at my school.
>>
>>7734735
>Studying for good grades.
Plz kill yourself, because of people like you, intelligent people get bullied for being nerds.
>>
>>7738034
Maybe if you actually tried with English, you could learn to express yourself better and write better proofs. Then you wouldn't get a B+ in Abstract Algebra.
>>
File: Snapchat-2966950970832924193.jpg (126 KB, 600x976) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2966950970832924193.jpg
126 KB, 600x976
>>7735002
Not the guy you're replying to but thanks for the advice, I was going to try things before that.

What pills should I seek, and which ones can I easily get prescription for?
>>
File: 1344713297202.png (528 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1344713297202.png
528 KB, 800x600
>Architectual History B+
>Intro to Logic B
>Physical Chem I B
>Organic Chem II C
>Organic Chem Lab B+

I really can't complain
>>
I only have 2 grades back so far.

>Digital Logic Design: B+
>Circuits I: B

Still pretty spooked for my differential equations mark and my calc 3 mark.
>>
>Antenna Theory and Design: A
>Music History 101: A
>>
>>7738446
You must be in middle/high school, because I can't imagine anywhere else where one can get good grades without studying & potentially be bullied for being a "nerd."
>>
>>7738073
People do this because they're petty competitive fucks

The real golden boys don't do this.
>>
>Math GPA went down by .11
>Cumulative GPA went up by .03
>very stressful semester
Good enough
>>
>>7734735
>Get higher level math course where I understand literally everything as it's taught
>Get ass kicked routinely in Physics
>Get a B in Math, B+ in Physics
>>
>Metallorganic
Took a 26/30 (B+, I think). I accepted it but I wish I had more time to prepare for it (and put more effort in it).

>an analytical chemistry course
I have no idea, though I think I will re-do the test.

Now 3 more tests to go, I expect a couple more B+s and a A. I should do an advanced org chemistry test as well but I don't think I'll manage.
>>
Engineering Senior here

So far...

Senior Design Lecture- A
Bioelectric Systems- B+
Intro To HR Management- B+

I'm pretty fucked
>>
i will have a 3.0 when i graduate

pretty sick yall
>>
2.8 GPA. Got a call from Harvard the other day telling me my research and presentation on Teichmuller Theory helped the math community understand someone's solution on a conjecture and offering me a scholarship to transfer next fall semester.
Try harder GPA cucks
>>
>>7738744
Are you sure that was a "call from Harvard," fellow memester?
>>
>>7738766
Ivy league reject detected
>>
4.0 semester with a 3.85 cumulative. Only 2 semesters to go and then finally free from undergrad. Ready to get the fuck away from Purdue.
>>
3.309 semester and 3.001 overall

i'm bad
>>
>>7738498
SSRIs are the preferred drugs for clinical depression because they are mood stabilizers with few side effects and they are not habit forming. They make you miserable when you start them, but that goes away in a few weeks with adaption. Once your neurochemistry adapts the net effect is that certain pathways associated with anxiety and depression still fire about as often averaged over time, but require significantly more provocation to start, hence allowing better control over moods.
>>
>>7738926
I miss Basil Thai.
>>
>>7738438
>calc 4

calculus 4

CALCULUS 4

CALCULUS FOUR

FOUR
>>
File: .png (20 KB, 1053x296) Image search: [Google]
.png
20 KB, 1053x296
bretty gud. done with classes just gotta shit out a thesis sometime this decade, hopefully.
>>
>>7738963
D.E.
>>
Got a D in Mechanics of Materials. Might as well drop out.
>>
>A
>B
>B-
ugh

where my UK bros at?
>>
>>7739102
I got two firsts after revising for my maths colour al-you-min-ee-um m8
>>
>>7738941
>3.001
That's actually pretty funny that it's that close
You'll do better next semester
>>
>>7739102
78% for the previous year, aiming for 80+ this year
>>
A+ Chem 1
A calc 1
A physics w/o calc 1

Should I go into chemistry or engineering?

Btw I hate biology and medicine
>>
>>7738963
Lol to be fair I'm on quarter system, we have 4 courses for calc, I guess I meant the vector calc part of calc 3 then.
>>
>>7737186

lel
>>
>Orgo I - A
>Calc III - A
>Mass and Energy Balance I - A
>Physics II - A-

I'm just happy I didn't get anything lower in physics.
>>
>>7739154
Why not chemical engineering, faggot?
>>
>STEM degree
>not computer science
LOL
do you faggots hate job prospects?
>>
Well I dropped out of ib soooo....I guess the semestrer went fine?
>>
>>7739226
IB is easy underage b&.
>>
File: 1450769067818.png (777 KB, 800x661) Image search: [Google]
1450769067818.png
777 KB, 800x661
>b
>b
>b
>b

>3.6 at cc became a 3.5
Could've been worse, seeing as I flunked my first calc III exam
>>
>>7736562
Are you saying Trump's going to destroy modern agriculture or something?
>>
>>7734819
This is me except all As and one B- cause of those retarded in class quizzes.
>>
>>7739296
This is me except all As
>>
>>7739300
Take a harder major.
>>
>finishes first semester
>i got a 4.0 gpa, i may be uninteresting but im smart bro
>>
>>7739336
It's only just begun, laddie.
>>
yes, that's what i'm basically saying. thank you
>>
Comp 1 - 88 high distinction
Codes and Ciphers - 93 high distinction
Algebraic Topology and Differential Geometry - 81 distinction
Optics & Nuclear Physics - 62 Pass

pretty good semester, fuck physics
>>
A in Data Structure and Algos
B in Databases (bullshit, I had a 95 average on the assignments and he won't hand back our exams)
A- in General Physics. Somehow leading the curve with a 45%
>>
Shakespeare: B-
Calc III: B-
Physics I: B-
Linear Algebra: B
Physics lab: B+
ROTC: A
Im a physics major at UT Austin. Fucked up this semester, but it was my first one. Maybe things will get better. Maybe not
>>
>>7739584
what uni?
>>
>>7739615
>A- in General Physics. Somehow leading the curve with a 45%
>45%
>A-
american education everyone
>>
Cell and Molecular Bio - A
Gen. Chem. II - A
Calc - B
I'm just not as smart in math as you guys.
>>
>>7739729

A- for getting less than half of the questions right

wut
That's ridiculous man

I could probably get 50-60% just by never attending lecture, never studying anything and just skimming through the chapter summaries 1h before the exam
>>
Organic Chemistry I - A
Organic Chemistry I Lab - B+
Physical Biochemistry - B
Intermediate French - A
Literary History - A
Honors Semiar - A

I'm no 4.0 student. I'm just happy my gen eds are done.
>>
>>7739725
Australian. If you recognise the subjects you'll probably know me senpai
>>
File: _20151223_090132.jpg (37 KB, 976x319) Image search: [Google]
_20151223_090132.jpg
37 KB, 976x319
Should I just kill myself?

JUST
>>
>>7738743
As long as you have above a 3.0 it really doesn't matter

Social networking is more important which is why most of these asperger autists aren't getting jobs
>>
>>7740046
shameful
>>
>got a 98% in material balances when an 82% was the cutoff for an A.
Pretty happy lads.
>>
>>7740074
I-I'll try harder next semester
>>
I've lost a lot of interest in my major, CSE. My grades aren't good but I pass classes.

Just don't care anymore. Almost done, already interning at IBM where I'll likely be hired full-time upon graduation.

I used to be passionate about software, now I care more about money and pursuing hobbies and relationships.
>>
File: 1440945349760.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1440945349760.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>7739729
>curving undergrad general physics
Fucking
WHY?
Where the fuck are you going? Nigga you failed fucking Mechanics and got an A for it.
>>
>>7740046
S'not that bad.
What math class was it?
>>
File: 1436061496349.jpg (56 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1436061496349.jpg
56 KB, 720x720
>>7738985
>quantum mechanics
>subject: Chemistry
>>
File: 1318054039260.jpg (88 KB, 321x460) Image search: [Google]
1318054039260.jpg
88 KB, 321x460
>Economics: A
>Classical Mechanics: C+
>Electricity and Magnetism I: C+
>Quantum Mechanics II: B+

I don't know what happened this semester
>>
>>7740294
Taking E&M before finishing Mechanics, and taking QM before finishing them both happened.
>>
>>7734735
>Grad Topology : A-
>Grad Algebra : A-
>Undergrad Measure Theory : A
>Intro to Women's Studies : A-

Cool semester. Excited for Diff Geo and Homological Algebra next semester.
>>
>>7740304
>Intro to Women's Studies : A-
>>
>>7740307
My privilege was thoroughly checked that semester.
>>
File: hurry up.jpg (152 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
hurry up.jpg
152 KB, 500x418
>CC
>school doesn't do +/-
>differential Equations: A
>Interpersonal Communication: A
>English - Critical Thinking: N/A
>Intro to C++: N/A

mfw English and Programming professor are taking their sweet time to post my grades. tfw it's been over a week. How long do they have until they are required to actually post the grades?
>>
>>7740309
What did you learn?
>>
>>7740414
He learned he has to castrate himself because hes a guy.
>>
>>7738073

Because they're a bunch of insecure virgin neckbeards that got bullied and laughed at their entire lives. Seeing others fail brings them a grain of happyness in their otherwise miserable existence. Sci is full of human wretches. None of these nerds would dare speak to anyone in such a way in real life, not because they're cowards (though they are), but also because they're social autists (many literal autists).
>>
>>7740286
my university also offers quantum mechanics in the physics department, and it's actually split into two semesters. the chemistry quantum mechanics course is just a review of the basics of quantum mechanics you learn in physical chemistry 2, and then a quick summary of the various approximation methods for molecular calculations.

the chemistry course makes more sense for us since we occasionally use gaussian for molecular property calculations and it's nice to have some insight when picking the method/basis set instead of picking at random or using what was used previously.

also, we spent way too much time going over the basics and it made taking physical chemistry 2 redundant, but it did make the quantum mechanics course easier since i saw the bulk of the material previously.
>>
Took 5 undergrad classes, 1 grad class
>Undergrad: A, A, A, A-, A-
>Grad: B+

That B+ I'm fucking pissed about.

So this class has 45% of your grade from the midterm, 45% from the final. If your final grade is greater than your midterm grade, the professor disregards the midterm and counts your final as 90%.

The professor makes the midterm really fucking hard, so basically everyone does better on the final, and the final counts for 90% of your grade.

I studied so fucking hard for this exam. I wanted to kill myself. But I pushed through. And when I took it, I thought I wrecked it.

Every single problem I knew exactly what to do. Meanwhile all my friends just copied solutions from homework problems to try bluff their way through.

They all got As and A-s. I got the B+. I'm fucking pissed.

And the professor won't give out the final exam grades. I explicitly asked for mine, and he said he couldn't send it to me.

This guy is also the worst professor I've ever taken a class from.

That was the first grad class I've taken, so now my graduate GPA is a flat 3.3 (undergrad is 3.89). This fucking blows. I'm supposed to do another year of school to get the masters done in a year, but the thought of having to take 4 more classes with this professor makes me want to drop out of the masters program, finish undergrad, get a job and never look at school again.
>>
File: gulfstream_eddy.gif (3 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gulfstream_eddy.gif
3 MB, 800x600
Dynamics of Marine Ecosystems: A
Physical Oceanography: A
Synoptic Meteorology: A
Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere&Ocean: A
Climate Dynamics: A
Independent Research: A

It was a damn good semester, 21 credits. I feel like I'm the only meteorology/oceanography major here on /sci/
>>
>>7740432
if you're that anal about seeing your exam you can probably go to the college/department administration and tell them that he refuses to show you your exam. the problem is that he can just make up some bullshit about how he disposed of the exams already and they're not going to do jack shit about it. so in the end you're boned either way.

i've been on the other side of this case with students complaining that their grade was too low, but the truth is that without proof you can't do jack shit and the professor holds the proof. even if you saw your exam and thought he graded you too harshly, he won't show you exams of any other student so you don't really have proof. if you raise a stink and have to take more classes with this professor he'll continue riding your ass subconsciously or not.

professor do their best not to play favorites and treat everyone fairly in front of the students, but i can tell you that in reality that is not the case.
>>
>>7740451
How do you sucker a teacher into giving you a higher grade than you earned?
>>
>>7740463
Suck their dick or titties.
>>
>>7734735
Work full time. Three courses. Waiting on my F from gen chem 1
>>
>>7740463
suck up the entire semester, never miss class, visit his office/talk to him after class at least once a week, and express your concern about your grade as often as you think you can pull it off without pissing off the professor, so typically before/after exams.

i've seen someone who has the lowest grade in the course get passed with a mercy C doing that. i mean she would sit through the duration of my office hours and there were times where i would explain something to her and as soon as i finished she pretty much asked the same question that i just answered. she absolutely bombed every single exam, and the only reason why she had good grades on the homework is because she just copied the solutions from chegg.

of course that's the most extreme example i have, but i've also seen a professor set up a grade distribution where the A and B ranges overlapped. so the same score could either get you an A or a B depending on who you are.
>>
>>7740486
This, but you have to be likeable for it to work.
>>
File: 1370874440437.jpg (200 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1370874440437.jpg
200 KB, 600x600
>>7740046
>Math 150

I...

wut?

Do you just learn about the number 150 all semester or some shite?
>>
>>7740463
I've tried this like 3 times and it has worked every time so far: "Can I talk to you about the exam? I just want to know what I did wrong and learn from it."
>>
>>7740621
It's...... Pre-cal

Pls no bully
>>
Precalculus A
Microeconomics A
Ethics elective A
English composition B

A fucking joke, my english "professor" made us cite tumblr for one of our essays
>>
>>7740486
Why the fuck does anyone do this? What is this achieving, you have someone with a degree whose useless, people pissed off because they didn't get special treatment and employers wondering how the fuck this person got a degree
>>
>>7740662
cmon dude...
>>
>>7740668
Meh I got pretty lazy towards the end of the semester. I'm taking Cal 1 next though and I'm going to try super hard so I want at least an A or B.
>>
Well now OP knows how to pass a class.

When your flipping burgers at McDonalds you will beast mode calc III... Whatever that is.
>>
>>7740667
there's two ways you can graduate with decent grades: raw effort or charisma. unfortunately, those that do it through charisma have an easier time finding a job even if they're utterly incompetent.

i've seen this personally unfold multiple times, but i'm not going into details since there's no point since i'm sure everyone has examples they can draw from.
>>
File: fuck.png (12 KB, 596x209) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
12 KB, 596x209
>that A-
JUST
>>
>>7736425
>Long time lurker

>Also, I know that feeling! Nothing beats it ahah!
>Nothing beats it ahah!
>ahah!

You don't have to lie you know. This isn't /b/.
>>
Is it true that Cal 1 is easier than college pre-cal?
>>
>>7734752
Because Calc is easy. It's fucking computation. Memorize formulas. If it takes any longer, you're probably just retarded.
>>
>>7734735

>skip ChemE Final
>pass course anyway

I guess the teacher liked me.
>>
>>7734735
>A in Cryptography
>A in Combinatorics
>A in Sequences and Series
>A in Calc III
>A in Directed Study
>3.95 overall after 7 semesters

Pretty well, I guess.
>>
>>7741040
At my school, yes
>>
>>7741063
Is your school small or is it a big state school
>>
>>7741054
Humble brag lol
>>
>>7741054

Why are you taking Calc III in your 7th semester? Isn't that a freshman course?
>>
>>7741100
No?
>>
File: Capture.png (14 KB, 929x192) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14 KB, 929x192
>>7734735
Still waiting for Chem 1A (the actual class for which 1AL is a lab) and E25 (visualization for design)
>>
>>7741100
I've been a CS major/ Math minor for 3 years but just changed the minor to a major. So I had to go back and take classes I skipped. Gonna take Elementary Diff Eq.'s in my last semester of college lol.
>>
>>7734735
>literally days
Kill yourself
>>
>>Work shitty job full time. No financial aid. Failing mid semester. Call out sick finals week, pass precalc and chem by skin of teeth
>>
>>7741067
Large state university. 30k+ students. Pretty decent math department, some important results in number theory have come out of it
>>
My Robotics grade is going to be a B- it just hasn't been posted yet
>>
made a 4.0 with more credit hours last semester but i was working part time and doing research for the first time this semester. plus spent more time drinking and hanging out with girls
>>
>>7737304
why dont they just do numbers?
>>
>>7741230
Because we been doing it this way for thousands of years
>>
Ochem II: E
Physics I: C-
Scientific Writing: A-
Family Economic Issues: A-
Fuck me
>>
>all these pussy letter gradings
We have fucking 5 significant figures in our grading system. If you're put in a class with an average high enough, 100% won't even cut it for medecine because you need to dominate your classmates with twice the standard deviation.
>>
>>7734825
Yup
>>
>>7741280
cool
>>
>>7739729

Please let that be the San Diego Community College Mechanics class. I'm taking that next semester.
>>
>>7735325
You're still dodging the fucking question, dumbass.
"Attending lecture" is not the same thing as "making an effort to understand the material."

"Doing well on homework" is not the same thing as "making an effort to understand the material."

I honestly want to say you just got weeded out, because if you don't have the fucking determination to spend 50 hours a week digesting material on your own time, then you don't belong in a STEM major.
>>
>engineering school average is a 2.7
>finally get above a 3.0

Feels good mang
>>
>>7741054
Which Uni are you at? I'm interested in the crypto course...how did you find it?
>>
So everyone is talking about how their universities do grade systems and stuff. What does /sci/ think of my uni's system? I would be interested to know:

http://w3.unisa.edu.au/campuscentral/faq/academic%20review/faq/acadrev_faq03.asp
>>
How fucking easy is it to get A in the USA?

To get a 10/10 here (A for you Americans) you have to study your ass off for like the entire semester and hope that the professor doesn't put something ridiculous in the final exam as well.

Only like 5% get A, unless the course is really easy.
>>
>>7741961
it's pretty easy bro. many of my classes have 15-30% of students getting As. often profs will give out a lower proportion of As in lower level courses since so many people take them, but in upper level STEM electives it's generally not hard at all.
>>
>>7741961

Depends on the class and professor. An easy class with a hard professor will make you cry while a hard class with an easy professor will be easy. It's really up to the student and how much they work. Over here it's about learning the material rather than having a professor get off by making their students cry. Though, we still have some professors that get off by making their class ridiculous hard just so that they can drop out.
>>
ITT: First year students with a decent chunk failing/doing poorly in babby level science/math courses.

No wonder /sci/ is shit.
>>
>you arent cut out for this

Anon, its calculus three. This is not as elitist as some others make it out to be. And triple integral, they not fucking hard....
>>
Do you guys all go to community college or something? I'm at Berkeley and everything's curved to a C+
>>
>>7734735
Spanish 1: A-
Easy class, if I had done more of the homework this would have been an A
Oscillations and Waves: B-
This class was weirdly difficult, but I should have put in more effort.
Electromagnetism I: B+
This class was easier than I expected, but I should have worked harder.
Religion, History, and Culture of Ancient India: Not graded, probably got an A-

I've been dicking around too much. I know that I can get A's in my physics classes next semester if I actually focus. Think I'm just gonna lock myself in the library every day after I get off work.
>>
Fucking 99% on signal processing final. Feels good
>>
>>7734735
I had the same thing with Calc I. Looking forward to Calc II this semester!
>>
>>7743890
what fucking course are you in that you're taking spanish, stuff about ancient india and physics courses?

americans are so weird
>>
File: 1449764870141.png (156 KB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
1449764870141.png
156 KB, 500x263
>>7734735
I was in a similar boat: had to get a 98.6% to get a B. Fortunately I aced it. It really wasn't too bad; I had such a low score going in to it because I neglected homework through most of the semester
>>
>>7742299
>Berkeley
Hoping to go there next fall. If I want to major in mathematics, how fucked would I be?
>>
>>7735024
do you go to RPI?
>>
>>7734952
This is NA education at it's finest. This is done for curving purposes.
>>
>>7743972
Gen ed requirements. It's pretty stupid, everyone agrees. I'm a physics major, so that's why the physics courses.
>>
4.00 at a shit school .
>>
>>7734735
I wouldn't sweat it too much, anon. Old fuck here. I got a D in calc3 thanks to a shitty sand nigger prof that couldn't speak English. He told me he would raise my grade to C if I got an A in linear algebra, which I did. Graduated with 3.92/4 two years later with BS in engineering. Corporate executive making big bucks today.
>>
>Data Structure: A
>Calculus II: A
>Discrete Math: A
>>
File: 286_murrow_intro.jpg (17 KB, 286x250) Image search: [Google]
286_murrow_intro.jpg
17 KB, 286x250
>>7745849
I'm jealous. That sounds like a fun and relaxed semester.
People tell me that humanities are suppose to be my most relaxing classes, but I fucking hated them, and I'm glad that I'm done with them. A "well rounded" education is why I took the physics and chem classes that I don't actually need. Spanish? I spent 3 semesters memorizing those damn conjugations and grammar rules, and I only barely speak it better than when I set out. Everything else was just an opportunity for me to make an ass out of myself.
>>
File: new GPA.png (14 KB, 920x170) Image search: [Google]
new GPA.png
14 KB, 920x170
>>7743978
Berkeley Engineering bro here. Math has the lowest average GPA in the school, but it's a baller program. You'll be fine.
>>7742299
How'd you do senpai?
Pic related for me.
>>
>>7738446
Daily reminder that it is now cool to be a nerd. By which now means posting your geometry take home scantron quiz on Facebook with the words "lulz I'm a nerd"
>>
Almost nothing to do with this thread, but what kind of Elective/Time wasting courses have you done?

>Astronomy
>History of the constitutions
>Epistemolpogy
>>
>>7738660

Yep. People who are actually good at STEM have no reason to praise innate talent; they know that hard work is very much part of the process. -currently Associate prof.
>>
Basically was thrown into a woodchipper this semester. Scumbag advisor wanted to fuck with me probably so he threw me into 2
3 weeder classes at the same time

Still survived the semster:

Calculus 3: A
Materials science (weeder): A
Thermodynamics 1 (the biggest weeder course at the University): B
Statics: B+

Advisor seemed visibly disappointed when he saw my grades because I think he was hoping to kick me out the program. I'm not allowed to get under a B In any class

Thinking of dropping mechanical engineering and switching to chemical now
>>
>>7740276
Pre-cal
>>
First semester at Rice ended with a 3.35 thanks to a C+ in multivariable calculus. There's time to improve, right?
>>
first quarter in uni, sucked dick

two B's and a C-, gonna retake the C- later
>>
Undergraduate neurosci major: Got an A in my neuroscience elective class. Took Intermediate Spanish pass/fail (graduation requirement, never liked learning foreign languages) and passed. Other three grades (took max credits) I haven't gotten back. Probably either A-s or B+s. College bores me. Just want to graduate with a 3.7 and go to med school.
>>
>>7734893
literally?
>>
I think I did OK, first semester in university.
B in calc2 (and almost everything else but an A one bulshit CS class)
Barely managed a C in freshman English comp. Apparently I don't know English...
>>
>>7740440
>ocean

Fellow ocn here! You are not alone!
>>
Academically disqualified
>>
Blew this semester sky-high.

2 C's and a B.

Luckily I've done good enough throughout that this one shitty semester still leaves me with a 3.73 GPA.
>>
File: 406.jpg (10 KB, 227x294) Image search: [Google]
406.jpg
10 KB, 227x294
>>7740428
Aren't you basically doing the same thing to autistic people? You clearly feel superior to these "social autists... and many literal autists" [what does that even mean??] even though they have no control over their neural and behavioral development.
>>
>>7737243
If you aren't smart enough to work inside the system and end up not getting great grades that is on you. It just means you're too stupid to realize what your priorities should be
>>
File: Antisense_DNA_oligonucleotide.png (1 MB, 2750x1424) Image search: [Google]
Antisense_DNA_oligonucleotide.png
1 MB, 2750x1424
Molecular Biology I - A
Physics for Eng & Sci - A
Biochemistry I - B
Calculus II - W (withdrawn)

Major/minor: Biotechnology/mathematical bio

Been training my math skills over the winter break. I'll do better next semester. Not changing my major or my minor.
>>
>>7736562
I've seen people like you completely break down once they get a B. Not saying it will happen to you, but it's pretty funny to watch.
>>
Now he many of you need amphetamines to keep that up.
>>
>all A's and two classes with 98|100
>junior year, CS

i know CS is a meme degree but i'm actually diagnosed with legitimite mental retardation and i'm going to a great school so i'm incredibly proud
>>
File: programmer.jpg (21 KB, 391x400) Image search: [Google]
programmer.jpg
21 KB, 391x400
>>7749799

A gorilla that knows sign language could pass CS courses with A's at the best of schools.
>>
>>7734735
Everything A, except for a C on descriptive geometry
>>
>>7734735
A's in Vector Calculus, Econ, Linear Algebra II
A- in Differential Equations

fuck differential equations. worst math course I've ever taken

>here's the solution for this family, it just le works
>repeat 12 times, remember all these for the exam
>>
>Start off semester strong
>Get lazy and start putting very little effort into weekly homework
>Get (wrongly) accused of cheating about a week before finals
>Stressed as shit that I'll get a 0 on that exam and fail the class
>That doesn't happen
>End up with a B in 2 classes, a C+ in one, and almost certainly going to get an A in my lib ed
>Still have 3.2 technical GPA, 3.4 overall
Eh. Definitely going to work a lot harder next semester.
>>
>>7738963

MATH 3170
Calculus 4 (3,1,0)
Campus
This course is a continuation of MATH 2110. Topics include triple integrals in rectangular, cylindrical and spherical coordinates, general change of variables in double and triple integrals, vector fields, line integrals, conservative fields, and path independence, Green 's theorem, surface integrals, Stokes' theorem and the divergence theorem, with applications in physics.

>>7739006
Not D.E.
Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.