[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could I light Jupiter and other gas giants on fire with a match?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
Could I light Jupiter and other gas giants on fire with a match?
>>
>>7734059
you could light anything on fire with a large enough match
>>
>>7734060

A normal match
>>
>>7734063
no
a large meteor couldnt ignite it
>>
>>7734065

How do you know that?
>>
>>7734063
A normal match wouldn't reach Jupiter even if it's closest to the earth.
>>
>>7734070

Well obviously I would have to get it there in a space ship or on a probe.
>>
>>7734067
jupiter pulls meteors away from the core of the solar system and eats some, still isnt burning

wait, who even suggested that meteors arw big burny things? i thought they were just hunks of rock
>>
>>7734059
>>7734060
>>7734063
>>7734065
>>7734067
>>7734070
>>7734074
"dumbest people on /sci/ right now" award goes to...
>>
>>7734059
No, it's in space.
>>
>>7734074
how would you light the match in a vacuum?
>>
>>7734074
But wouldn't the match burn out until you get there? With modern technology it would take YEARS to get to Jupiter, no match burns that long.
>>
>>7734059
Yes, it's in the space.
>>
>>7734059

No, there's no molecular oxygen for the hydrogen to burn with.
>>
>>7734059
Matches dont burn long enough to get there in time.
>>
>>7734189

So if we lit a match and opened a scuba tank, would jupiter catch on fire?
>>
File: 1440865933418.webm (3 MB, 540x291) Image search: [Google]
1440865933418.webm
3 MB, 540x291
>>7734059
>>
>>7734195

Pretty much desu
>>
>>7734075
>still isnt burning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter#Impacts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker%E2%80%93Levy_9
https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Black_spot_on_Jupiter_is_impact_site,_says_NASA
>>
>>7734293

Those have never been independently verified.
>>
>>7734191
For a short time, until all of your oxygen is consumed. We don't have nearly enough oxygen to "burn" all of Jupiter, even if we drained all of it from our own atmosphere.

There are more interesting and useful dumb science questions we could be asking. For example, how could we turn mars into a habitable planet?
>>
>>7734296

Wat?
>>
What would happen if a Jupiter made of hydrogen collided with a Jupiter made of matchheads?
>>
>>7734308

There is strong evidence that the supposed impacts never happened but were concocted by astronomers and the telescope lobby for more funding.
>>
>>7734313
can confirm. as a telescope-lobbyist, it was my job to get congress into funding an extremely large telescope for the search of OP's penis.
>>
>>7734301
what if we shot a giant ball of oxygen plasma at jupiter. like the size of half our moon
>>
>>7734059
Yes but then it would turn into a star
>>
>>7734366
I doubt that is enough oxygen too. Jupiter is yuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.
>>
>>7734296
>Comet Shoemaker Levy 9
>Never independantly verified

Let us pause for a minute in utter shock.
. . .

This was like the most watched astronomical event of the 20th century. Everyone was looking at it. E V E R Y O N E. Not just professionals and space telescopes, but amatuers and other governemtns and other governments and other telsecopes. That would be a huge consipiracy.

Jupiter, yes, has lots and lots of Hydrogen. But it does not explode. Even looking past the impacts, there are clearly many lightning bolts in that atmosphere quite regularly. These also do not destroy the planet.

Lets think about what causes hydrogen to burn. Certainly a trigger, like a match, but also, generally, another material, like oxygen.

Hydrogen can explode easily on the Earth because of abundant oxygen. On Jupiter, there is not very abundant oxygen, so the material is stable.

Likewise, Titan has lots of Methane, but it is stable from burning because of the lack of oxygen with which to react.
>>
You need an oxidising agent, so no.
>>
>>7734059
Yes. You can also drink the liquid out of Uranus if you try hard enough.
>>
>>7734978
Jupiter certainly couldn't just burn for lack of oxygen.

It could be lit for a thermonuclear fusion, but it's just a notch below the required weight. Had it been some 50% heavier, it would be possible to light it up with nuke and turn it into a Brown Dwarf star.
>>
>>7734313
Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>7734313
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>7735165
>>7735178

All the evidence points to a conspiracy. Think about it:

>telescope and astronomy industries losing money (this is pre Black Science Man days)
>military industrial complex always looking for new ways to suckle off the public's teat
>they team up to ruse everyone
>exagerate the existence of a world destroying comet to generate interest in telescopes and the military industrial complex gets money to develop anti-comet/anti-asteroid weapons and research
>>
>>7734099
Same way a gun fires a round. Isolate the fuel from the vacuum.
>>
This thread is all satire right?
If not, then /sci/ is officially dead.
You can all fuck off now, the board is dead.
Nothing to do here, go away.
>>
>>7734059
I love /sci/ bait.
>>
>>7734059

Of course you can. Gas is inflammible (just look at gas station explosions). Anyone who says otherwise is truly dumb or just trolling.
>>
>>7734059

No, Jupiter is composed of mostly hydrogen and helium, with little oxygen to combust the hydrogen.
>>
>>7734059
Well I'd guess no but the only way to know for sure is to try it for real!

No, I don't mean actually go to Jupiter and try lighting it on fire, thats too expensive and time consuming to start with. Start with a small scale model!

Just take a big plastic bag, fill it with helium and hydrogen, light a cigarette, or just a long burning match if you don't smoke, put it between your lips and stick your head inside the bag. You have to put your head in there so that when you breathe out you'll release a small amount of oxygen and CO2 into the bad to simulate the actual atmosphere of Jupiter. Try taking about 10 deep breathes of the gas in the bag to get the mixture just right.

Good luck! Post results for the rest of us please!
>>
File: connie enough.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
connie enough.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
>>7736277
>>
You could light a hause on fire with 4 coconuts
>>
>>7738988
with sufficient speed and friction yes
>>
File: 60114268.jpg (89 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
60114268.jpg
89 KB, 400x400
>>7736277
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.