[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chem vs ChemE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
This thread again
>>
File: goat.gif (872 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
goat.gif
872 KB, 400x225
>>7734058

There is basically no similarity between the two majors. Chemical Engineers use chemistry, but you don't learn about molecules in any upper-level courses, you learn how to take some reaction or some process that a chemist has given you already, look at it, make it bigger/smaller/faster/better? It might as well be called "tube engineering". Or it's like calling Electrical Engineering "pure mathematics engineering". You get paid a lot though, and it's still pretty cool.
>>
>>7734058
>this nigga saved a thumbnail
>>
Stop trying to divide us.

It's one of the only, maybe the only, engineering/science combination that actually get along with one another without trying to act superior over the other. We work in the same places, we are involved in essentially the same projects, hell it's even essential for us to communicate with each other in the industry. We specialize in different topics, but from what I hear chemEs in pharmaceuticals are expected to know a lot of ochem and industrial chemists have some knowledge of mass transport.

Chemist here, but I'm cool with my chemE bros.
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (126 KB, 1140x400) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
126 KB, 1140x400
>>7734058
>>7734082
I'm in my second year of college and only recently found out about this distinction. Honestly, I could have figured this out ages ago if I'd bothered to do some basic research, but it's hard to think about the future when all I want to do is focus on my classes. I'm good at chemistry and I enjoy it, but now I know there's no chance in hell that I would ever be successful as an engineer.

How does ANYONE do engineering? How do you have the mental bandwidth to be in charge of an entire industrial process from start to finish? I'll just go organic chem and see what comes of it, fuck engineering, who needs all that money anyway.
>>
>>7734058
Electrician : Electrical Engineer
Mechanic : Mechanical Engineer
Plumber : Chemical Engineer
Financier : Economist
Potter : Material Scientist
Computer Scientist : Computer Engineer
>>
File: 1450447103993.png (647 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
1450447103993.png
647 KB, 618x618
>>7734208
>Computer Scientist : Computer Engineer
>>
>>7734318
>CS major detected

>>>/g/o back to the land of your people and never return
#migrants_not_welcome
>>
>>7734058
Yeah, we should just all be chemical engineers. No one be any other type of stem.
>>
>>7734058
chemistry fucking sucks

who cares
>>
>>7734208
>Potter : Material Scientist
10/10 post.
>>
>>7734082
What do you mean by calling EE "pure mathematics engineering"
>>
>>7734523

In grad school everything becomes functional analysis and measure theory
>>
>>7734203
>who needs that kind of money anyway?
Somebody who grew up in a poor family and wants to be able to use what he was given along with a good work ethic to never have to worry about taking change from your kids piggy bank to be able to pay the mortgage that month.
Sincerely, a chemE major
>>
File: FFFF.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
FFFF.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
>>7734058

I was originally going for a chemistry major but I had to switch other to ChemE to avoid being poor for the rest of my life.

I'm just doing undergrad chem classes in my spare time. They're super easy and fun.

I'm not sure how I'll do with the engineering classes.Nonetheless, imo. Chemistry > ChemEng

And this is coming from a ChemEng Major :^)
>>
Since this thread is already here....

How different is MSE from ChemE? I get the sense that it's more focused on the products themselves and less on the manufacturing/business side, but I don't know how true that is. Are you sitting around crunching numbers all day, or staring at microscopy images, or what? And can you make do with a bachelor's in MSE, or do you need to go for a master's to find a job?

Any info at all would be great. This is the last option I'm considering before I say to hell with engineering altogether.
>>
Chemistry major here; much respect for the ChemE's out there. Don't know how you can handle all of that thermo.
>>
>>7734564
this. I do chemistry, but i come from a middle to upper middle class family. when my dad passed away it became all about money. Now all i want is more so i can pass it back to my family.
>>
File: Tattoo.jpg (109 KB, 672x552) Image search: [Google]
Tattoo.jpg
109 KB, 672x552
Hello fellow chemists! :)
Just did this tattoo! Thought you might like it. :)
>>
>>7738792
I do not
>>
>>7738792
what is that?
>>
>>7738792
These types of bottom barrel faggots should really be euthanised because they are far too stupid to realise they should off themselves.
>>
>>7740150
Levomethorphan.
It's an obscure opioid. I hope he wasn't thinking of the more common DXM - the dissociative cough syrup - because that is the mirror image of his tattoo. That or the picture is flipped.
>>
>>7734208
>>7734392
>Computer Scientist: Computer Engineer
What in the actual fuck are you implying?
The only major differences between the two are a few algorithm design courses and analog electronics.

>inb4 CS major go
EE + CS master race.
>>
>>7734208
MORE

IS

DIFFERENT

http://robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/cs689/papers/anderson72more_is_different.pdf

Pottery yields sublime insights into the structure and nature of the physical world which you small-minded theoreticians can scarce conceive of
>>
>>7740260
Don't forget the fact that without pottery we wouldn't be able to space.
>>
>>7738792
I never have been a fan of people who tattoo a specific molecule on their body. I hope bad things happen to you.
>>
>>7740162
lmao wrong enantiomer tattoos for life (without a job)
>>
>>7738792
Do you get off on feeling smart when regular people who haven't memorized the structure of some random chemical have to ask what the tattoo is? Because you shouldn't. Asshole.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.