[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we have matrix like virtual reality by 2030? I just wanna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: dewey question.jpg (8 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
dewey question.jpg
8 KB, 251x201
Will we have matrix like virtual reality by 2030?

I just wanna commit home invasions and play surgeon.
>>
>home invasions
So like, you could set this up as a paint-ball or air-soft scenario, just sayin'.
>surgeon
So get some fucking goats or something.
>>
File: 1449786436168s.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449786436168s.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>7734010

>So like, you could set this up as a paint-ball or air-soft scenario, just sayin'.

How is paintball similar to breaking into a house at 3am tying up all the inhabitants and playing games with them?
>>
File: 1450456112729s.jpg (7 KB, 248x250) Image search: [Google]
1450456112729s.jpg
7 KB, 248x250
If computers/programs become self aware and we allow people to fulfil their deepest darkest fantasies in virtual reality, would that be immoral?

I mean whats the difference between fucking a child and going into VR and fucking a child thats identical similar to a real person in terms of though patterns and reactions etc etc.

However I don't see the government making it illegal to perform child rape in your own virtual reality.
>>
>>7734022
>However I don't see the government making it illegal to perform child rape in your own virtual reality.
The government made cartoon drawings of naked children illegal so you bet your ass they will make that illegal too.

But yea it would be immoral of course.
>>
>>7734025

Right but whats stopping someone from just writing any particular VR after they already brought the hardware.

Like sure I can see them making it illegal to make purchase or sell "Child Rape 2030 the game" but what about Grand Theft Auto 2030 edition? And like people can still download the child rape games.

And just because a virtual program contains emulations of real people, should it really be illegal to hurt or harm those emulations?
>>
>government would make matrix like vr illegal for the same reasons lsd is illegal
i dont even have to think much to see the british government outlawing this sort of thing

As for your question, as to whether its techbologically possible or not, i think it will be sooner than 2030.
>>
>>7734042

When I say matrix like VR I don't mean multiplayer I just mean entirely single player.

If I just want to commit home invasions and slice people up in VR why should that be illegal? Just because their self aware doesn't mean there not real humans. There just emulations.
>>
>>7734039
Yes.
>>
>>7734054

I really hope you white knight faggots aren't able to stop me from playing real GTA in virtual reality.
>>
>>7734054

Are people actually autistic enough to equate harming an emulated self aware program as the same thing as harming another human being?
>>
I believe Shadowrun had a term for this called BTL's.
>>
>>7734051
i get that, thats why i used lsd as an example. When you take lsd, only you trip, not your next door neighbour. if its only you doing it with yourself, why should it be illegal? I'm saying it would be outlawed for the same reasons that everything else you could do by yourself that involves no one else has illegal acts, like using a variety of drugs, viewing cartoon cp, etc.
>>
File: 1449616977502s.jpg (3 KB, 95x125) Image search: [Google]
1449616977502s.jpg
3 KB, 95x125
>>7734068

I think the rationale is that whiletheir on drugs they are more likely to harm other people.

Also it seems easier to enforce drugs laws than it is to enforce " you can't do bad things in VR"
>>
>>7734077
true, itd be like attempting to enforce antipiracy laws.

that being said, it could be seen as a way of dehumanizing people to a degree that they are so used to killing people in a hyper realistic setting that they wouldnt feel difficulty doing it for real. I dont buy into the 'violent video games' nonsense, but i can see the case being made and governments nipping it in the bud. I'd still like to see it, or something like being able to rapidly learn things as if being programmed with the knowledge.
>>
>>7734064
Yes.
For all you know you're simulated at this very moment, what would be the moral difference?
>>
>>7734083
You can't into capitalism, governments will eat that shit up just like tv.
>>
File: 1449649350692.gif (301 KB, 319x240) Image search: [Google]
1449649350692.gif
301 KB, 319x240
>>7734086

If were living in a simulated reality and I've spent 24 years living and collective we as a species spent millions of years living as well, then I think it's pretty safe to assume hes not going to harm us.

However if he wanted to send a group of aliens down one day to just butt rape everyone while stabbing them when they cum then sure he would be a huge dick.

That doesn't change the fact that I still want to play single player grand theft auto with cheats in my own private VR.

Are you going to be enough of a dick to try and stop people like me from doing this?
>>
>>7734089
not at all what i'm saying, dont make shit up. By your reasoning, all drugs would suddenly become legal because 'capitalism', which has nothing to do with this discussion anyway.
i'm suggesting that it would be made illegal under the pretense of preventing what governments would see as 'mis-use', - all their good intentions and the like. i cant imagine any situation where you could run around a virtual environment killing people realistically and for whatever incumbent government to just be fine with that. Thats not how modern nanny states work.
>>
>>7734098
i think murder is bad but i'm not a cop
Really what's your problem, ok you disagree I get it.
>>
>>7734102
>i cant imagine any situation where you could run around a virtual environment killing people realistically and for whatever incumbent government to just be fine with that.
nvm then it was directed at the tech in general
Still I don't think it'd be a problem, it's just a slippery slope from fps games and we all know how slippery slopes work with the gubment.
>>
>>7734111
I really dont think its ALL fps games, i think theres a limit to what people would see as reasonable as the technology comes around increasingly quickly. Once things like oculus rift hits the mainstream, we'll see plenty of debates on whether fps games are getting 'too immersive' or not, and i can imagine a system as proposed ITT which would effectively be complete immersion getting chased out of town fast
>>
>>7734127
soccer mom tv debates c'mon now
ok, if ur in UK and they are like that, good luck.
>>
>>7734129
bingo, UK. remember its just speculation, but with the degree of nanny state we have here, its something I could really see happening.

i'm leaving this hellhole once I graduate either way, asia is calling
>>
>>7734135
you will be a caliphate before VR ever reaches a point at which soccermoms are worried its too realistic.
>>
File: 1450427731212.gif (240 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
1450427731212.gif
240 KB, 500x212
>>7734106

Murder is bad. Death is a very profound tragic loss of life and human experience. If say someone randomly walks into a house and just kills someone the authorities would obviously be justified to press charges against that person and let the court handle things and that person would most likely be sent to jail for lie.

However if I go onto my computer and punch keys on my keyboard and then either plug something into my brain or send nanobots up inside it, and then go into a VR and fuck shit up why the fuck would you care?

Would you prefer if I just manually backlogged the programs a notch and made their reactions 99% authentic?

>>7734127

>How do you enforce that.
>How do designers even implement it without sacrificing the authenticity of the VR.

Imagine how bad invisible walls are in current gen gaming, imagining the matrix movies with a constant "Nope can't let you do that"
>>
This thread disturbs me.
>>
We won't get VR that most people imagine alike real life until around 2050. Just be very patient in the meaningwhile.
Btw it will probably cost a shitload of money too so don't think it will be ease of access.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.