[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plum Pudding Model.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Plum Pudding Model.jpg (11 KB, 249x240) Image search: [Google]
Plum Pudding Model.jpg
11 KB, 249x240
Why was J.J. Thomson's model of the atom incorrect, /sci/?
>>
try the homework board

>>>/hm/
>>
It was proposed before the discovery of the atomic nucleus.
The model has electrons intwined in something like an atomic nucleus, their charges balanced out by a "positive soup" instead of protons. And I don't believe it has any mention of neutrons
>>
>>7733786
It's not homework. Also, posting to /hm/ is the oldest shit on /sci/.

I just want an answer from you guys.
>>
Dude just shoot some alpha particles at a very thin piece of gold and watch the scattering.
>>
>>7733796
read a highschool physics textbook if you wan tto know

some popsci bullshit documentary is probably more your cup of tea though. I doubt you read books.
>>
>>7733817
How dare one be inquisitive, right?
>>
Rutherford did an experiment that concluded that there must be a highly dense positively charged center due to alpha scattering
>>
>>7733844
Yeah? When I get inquisitive about something I study it or at least look it up in wiki. Resigning yourself to being a simpleton who needs to be spoonfed basic idea by a camel shagging team chatroom is dumb.
>>
>>7733862
It;s more interesting to get the answer from you guys, though.
>>
>>7733872
>being dumb is more interesting
...and so popsci is born
>>
>>7733872
>>7733796
>It's not homework.
You're not fooling anyone, underage b&.
>>
>>7733782
Oh so many reasons:
>Thomson saw what we call the nucleus as a being a defuse blob of "positive charge"
>The density of said blob was very low
>It couldn't accommodate neutrons
>The electrons aren't scatted on and within the blob, but in fact move around the outside.

And perhaps most importantly:
>Rutherford's experiments falsified it.

There's probably a lot more wrong with it but that's the main problems.
>>
>>7733782
at the time it wasn't incorrect it was a plausible model because there was no evidence.
just as saying now that atoms are actually egg shaped or hexagonal
you can't prove they arent
>>
File: Hydrogen atom.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Hydrogen atom.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
>>7733899
>>
>>7733914
so?
doesn't prove its not egg shaped
>>
File: tunnelling electron microscope.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tunnelling electron microscope.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
>>7733899
>you can't prove they arent
Actually....
>>
>>7733930
so?
look at an egg from the top
it looks round
>>
>>7733935
Yeah, but an egg from the top looks much thinner than >>7733914 and >>7733930

The atom is clearly very circular.
>>
>>7733935
Good thing for you we can't image in 3 dimensions, right? Oh, wait, we can....
>>
>>7733935
>look at the Earth from space
>its flat
Round earthers btfo
>>
>>7733930
OMG they're hexagons!!
>>
>>7733782
Because pic related
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.