[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are people who don't get math stupid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: male-taking-notes.jpg (6 KB, 149x224) Image search: [Google]
male-taking-notes.jpg
6 KB, 149x224
Are people who don't get math stupid?
>>
Don't worry OP, you're not stupid.
>>
it depends on the math. if you can't understand basic arithmetic you're pretty stupid. if you can't solve the Navier Stokes equations or prove the Riemann Hypothesis, well join the club.
>>
>>7733472
It means they're intellectually lazy, which is worse than being stupid.
>>
Stupid at maths? What degree of stupid are we talking here
>>
>>7733472
Below a certain level if you don't understand math then yes, you are stupid. I would say up to around trig/pre-calc and below. If you don't get that stuff then you're an idiot.
>>
>>7733520
thanks anon but i can't even understand basic arithmetic
>>
>>7733472
No, the vast majority of actual math is completely useless. If it were useful, it would be called engineering. In fact, one is actually smarter for not "getting" math because one has invested ones time in a way that is more likely to be valuable to oneself, while people who study math are probably going to end up being codemonkeys / high school teachers.
>>
>>7733472
No, there are different ways of being smart.

>>7733546
No projecting, right?
>>
>>7733523
Pretty much this.
There are people who genuinely don't understand math, like at all, but those are very rare and extreme cases. I think it's some kind of condition, just like dyslexia.
>>
>>7733472
are people who don't get chemistry stupid?
>>
Maths, if you put some effort in is actually easy. Without it is impossible
>>
>>7733472
It depends what you mean by "don't get". There are a lot of people who just don't like math, or don't see it as a valuable cognitive tool.

When I see mathematical approaches to complex problems, all I can think of is "quantization error" and "lack of controlling for the myriad relevant factors playing into a situation. I use my own intuitive logic and reason, it's more fluid, and I even get better results. Though it slower.

Probability theory is the most abused thing I've ever seen. And it's not because mathematics is stupid, it's because people are.
>>
>>7733619
THIS
I don't want to sound like an asshole but I really need to know this
I love school, I love history, I love science, I ace all my exams easily. And despite that I even study because I enjoy it, I don't love other subjects with passion but everything is fucking easy, comes a math final I study my ass for nights cry take the test and completely fail it, why? I don't hate math it just left a bad taste now and I spend hours studying because Im very dedicated and all my life school has been easy, but I just can't get over math at all why ? And it's not just one subjects it's been going on for about 5 years. I was thought to have Down syndrome at birth then it was moved down to dyslexia but I was very young, less than 7 years old and I never needed any treatment besides speech therapy due to a chin/mouth disorder (which I guess was something they used to assume I had Down syndrome though I look normal) and I don't want to sound like a pussy who needs an excuse to be bad at a subject but it's really been making me anxious lately (to where I throw up and feel sick because of it) because as I get older math is harder, I want to go to med school and I've tried everything but math will murder my gpa despite being a nerd at everything else
>>
>do highschool
>have decent starting mathematical ability but do no work
>get shitty grades
>finish school
>have to start studying physics and math for med school entrance exams
>start actually doing work
>becomes easier and easier

i still have a bit of trouble with some trig shit, but i;m working on it. this has made me realised that there are going to be people better at maths naturally than others, but you can do it to a reasonable extent unless you're really stupid or really lazy.
>>
>>7733543
in that case you might actually be retarded
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.