[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, Yellowstone really is capable of erupting at anytime? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: yellowstone-caldera-ashfall.jpg (98 KB, 725x489) Image search: [Google]
yellowstone-caldera-ashfall.jpg
98 KB, 725x489
So, Yellowstone really is capable of erupting at anytime?
Even with a few weeks notice in advance, how would rescue efforts even begin to save two thirds of the US?
>>
we will let it erupt inside your mums mouth
>>
The next eruption will likely be much, much, much smaller than that and have months to years advance notice.
>>
>>7733121
No; the amount of melt is currently too low to support a catastrophic eruption. While it could theoretically erupt "any day now" geologically speaking, we would likely get months or years of warning beforehand.
>>
>>7733136
>the amount of melt is currently too low to support a catastrophic eruption

Huh?
The size of the Yellowstone magma chamber sitting beneath the caldera is 2400 CUBIC MILES. It is largely filled at present.
>>
What are the chances of Yellowstone becoming Permian-Triassic mass extinction 2.0?
>>
>>7734681
can't come soon enough.
>>
>>7733211
Yes. It's only around 5-15% molten. A catastrophic eruption is believed to require closer to 50%.
>>
>>7733121
>two-thirds of the US destroyed
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>7733121
Uhh, we put a big cork in the volcano before it erupts.
>>
>>7736284
Hey man it'd wipe out the entire great plains. Literally hundreds of people would die
>>
>>7733211
It's also far deeper than it has ever been, and being pushed downward by the day. It's unlikely to ever erupt again.
>>
File: 1196216883855.gif (46 KB, 74x105) Image search: [Google]
1196216883855.gif
46 KB, 74x105
>>7736294
>>
>>7736294
I'm sure our agriculture industry would do just fine after the fertile lands are raped by a carpet of ash.
>>
This thread made me think of an exploration boundary. Does anyone believe technology would allow us to create something which would be able to navigate the mantle? I am intensely fascinated at the prospect of getting some core material to study
>>
>>7736929
Do you realize how deep down the fucking mantle is?

Apparently they're working on a probe that'll melt its way down by getting retardedly hot, and then send information back up by looking at how it makes the crust vibrate.

The thing is, it'll take even longer than space travel to navigate, and it won't even give us direct access. Shit's insane.
>>
>>7736294
>Literally hundreds of people would die
...Well, you're not wrong.
>>
>>7736987
I do, it's hard to make a relative comparison though, but it's deep. That's pretty cool the idea of being retarded hot to simply fall through as if magma were ice.
>>
>>7733121
Well lets see:
we would lose the rockies which isn't a big deal
we would lose our plains states, which doesn't matter as much because by then we can just take over canada and grow food there because warming temps
we would lose texas and las vegas, nothing of value anyway
In fact, it wouldn't be a big loss of life, not a lot of people in that area.

So let it happen.
>>
>>7736914
Isn't volcanic ash incredibly fertile? so after a while, the great plains will become the even greater plains.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.