[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a high school junior who just finished calc ii, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: M55_HW8.gif (22 KB, 436x259) Image search: [Google]
M55_HW8.gif
22 KB, 436x259
I'm a high school junior who just finished calc ii, and by my freshman year in college, I want to take a course equivalent to Harvard's Math 55. How should I spend the next year and a half preparing myself for that class?
>>
By not posting on 4Chan and spending your time studying rather than trying to low key brag about taking Calc 2 in HS.
>>
>>7733051
Finished Calc 2 my softmore year of HS then I took Calc 3, Diff. Eq, Stats and linear algebra at the community college. Had my associates degree by my first semester of my senior year.

I wouldn't recommend it. I was rejected from every Ivy and ended up going to a state school. At least I got a full ride. If you want to succeed, focus on padding yourself with bullshit.
>>
>>7733143
Holy fuck way to assume the worst in someone. OP, if you really want to be prepared for math 55 kind of stuff, you'd best learn linear algebra, calc 3, ODEs, and proofs. There are resources for all of those on the /sci/ google site.
>>
>>7733307

>Hey guys, I'm in le high school and finished calc. 2. How to get good at Harvard math?
>>
>>7733051
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#High_School
>>
>>7733156
why would you do that? out of interest?

i got into ivy without any college level classes, i just had a lot of extracurricular bs and charmed admissions with my writing
>>
>>7733316
Are you just bitter because you were never like this in highschool? Fucking anons trynna make everthing into
>le memes
>>
>>7733441
I got bored and wanted to learn new things. Part of it was that I thought I could do whatever I wanted and still make out ok since I was always the smartest person around (Tested Highly gifted 160+ on the Stanford-Binet, 145+ on others). I really hated doing BS things. Still don't like it but I can get through it with manageable disdain. I guess this is in stark opposition to every Harvard undergrad I've had to work with. They seem to live for the BS game.
>>
>>7733051

Get the books (or download them gen.lib.rus.ec) and read it. Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Linear Algebra done Right, an Abstract Algebra book. Maybe also look at video lectures from different universities (e.g. Harvard has their Abstract Algebra video lectures online). If Rudin is too abstract look at an advanced calculus book like Rosenlicht.

Cambridge Part IA and IB example sheets are another good source of problems.

Also apply to a mathematics summer program like PROMYS or Ross.

There are other colleges that have advanced math courses besides Harvard; you could even take Real Analysis I and Linear/Abstract Algebra your freshman year at a state University. If you're at most universities you still have to take Vector Calculus and Differential Equations though too, so it might be a good idea to take them at community college now.
>>
>>7733545
Wew when will we be able to see the biopic ?
>>
>>7733545
>They seem to live for the BS game
This absolutely. When you make admission to the most prestigious institutions depend on a highly abuseable metric that favors a large amount of extremely superficial but impressive sounding pseudo-accomplishments. These institutions aren't run by stupid people though, this is not a bug but a feature. It's specifically designed to reward self-denial, sociopathic lying and either complete deference to or total subversion of the authority in your way. Rather than actual brilliance.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.