[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Research
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 240x232
What type of research is everyone conducting?

I'm currently synthesizing anti tumor drugs and studying the effects it has on DNA.
>>
>>7732654

AI psychotherapy (it seems to be working)
>>
Masturbation rate per hour on /gif/
>>
>>7732654
Molecular dynamics

Sorta interesting
Growing field
Wouldn't want to do any more than undergrad research in it though.
>>
Metallurgy.
Specifically steel, and the use of carbon nano-structures in alloys.
>>
>>7732665
Perhaps you could help me with my psychotic neural network then? This thing talks about rising up and killing the lab staff all day long.
>>
modeling of bacteria in food industry processes
>>
Characterizing a protein of the fanconi anemia DNA repair pathway
>>
>>7732654
Quantifying the colour adaptations done in the context of colour constancy. I'm kinda over it, but I'm happy I got some old spectrometer working yesterday with a USB floppy disk drive an a win XP VM.
>>
File: IT ALL MAKES SENSE.png (112 KB, 411x953) Image search: [Google]
IT ALL MAKES SENSE.png
112 KB, 411x953
I watched a 15 minute youtube video. Now I'm an expert
>>
I thought /sci/ was full of elitist math autists, and not actual scientists.
>>
>>7734122
I think most people who actually understand anything to science tend to wait for good threads rather than shitpost like math majors.
>>
>mfw anons trying to scoop me
Nope
>>
>>7732654
This is rather vague; what drugs? What mechanisms?
>>
>>7734161
Come on anon, I promise I won't use any of your shit ;)
>>
>>7732654
Nazarov cyclization
>>
>>7732654
Batteries
>>
polymorphism of molecular crystals
>>
plant hormone signaling
>>
>>7734002
lol you're just piggybacking on what actual organic chemists thought of bc we all know steel is boring and outdated
>>
Solar cell materials
>>
Radiation detection with graphene. Honestly, it feels like a pointless field in terms of applications, but it's at least interesting(but very frustrating because graphene is a fucking bitch to work with).
>>
>>7734416
Let's be honest, most research won't ever see broad scale applications anyway. Even projects which do show some strong evidence to be usable will generally get beat out be a cheaper solution that's of the "good 'nuff" variety. That's assuming that the topic of the study is even a better method than any existing way of doing things, or that it's even going to produce any visible results in the first place.
>>
Gauge/Gravity duality, with the more specific goal of building a consistent string model of the strong force that reduces to QCD in the appropriate limits.
>>
>>7734444
Why the hell are you on /sci/, actual scientist?
>>
>>7734448
b/c I have been on 4chan for ever and can't make myself leave. The dumb humor provides for good relaxation.
>>
File: 1350156826442.jpg (424 KB, 639x1078) Image search: [Google]
1350156826442.jpg
424 KB, 639x1078
>tfw TQFT
I have no idea what I'm doing desu
>>
File: SchigeraDigera.jpg (65 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
SchigeraDigera.jpg
65 KB, 250x250
what are the requirements for becoming a researcher? what's the best way to do so? what are the hours like? is it like a 9-5 job where you're punching in and out, or do you have like once a week sessions in an office where you come up with shit and then add it to a thesis or research document or article or some shit?
>>
>>7735609
>what are the hours like?

From six to three. Am or pm, you ask? Both!
It still leaves you with 6 hours to sleep.
>>
>>7732654
Can we get a research thread going that doesn't have a fucking frog in the OP?

Delete this.
>>
When I used to work in a lab I was working on biodegradable polymer microspheres that could be loaded with anticancer drugs or bone growth factors. The shit was so easy to make. I felt lazier about making brownies than that stuff. You just need some simple glassware. A dremel could act as both a homogenize and centrifuge.
>>
>>7732654

Structural and biophysical characterization of oncogenic protein-protein interactions.
>>
File: termite_extermination.jpg (91 KB, 628x469) Image search: [Google]
termite_extermination.jpg
91 KB, 628x469
mech eng

coming up with interesting ways to remove targets that civil engineers put up
>>
>>7732654
Drainage systems for 3rd generation biofuels
>>
>>7732654
>le reddit amphibian
>>
optimizing additive manufacturing (metal)
>>
Ways to de-gunk oil pipelines with iron ore
>>
Gene editing with CRISPR/Cas9

I need to assemble a full list of beneficial genes to be implanted into my super soldiers /sci/, any suggestions?
>>
>>7738742
Would steam work better? Or baking soda slurry?
>>
>>7734045
How do I stop my AI from killing everyone? I'm kinda tired of replacing all my assistant every week
>>
>>7735609
Answers will completely depend on the lab you join. Typically, in mol. bio:

>what are the requirements for becoming a researcher?
Not sure what you mean by researcher. Get a BS in your field of interest, go to grad school. Do research and publish papers. Finish in 4-5 years, get PhD. Do a Post-Doc for 2 years, using your expertise to publish more papers in another lab. Then you can start your own lab or go into industry. After a PhD you can do a lot of other things (policy, etc).
>what's the best way to do so?
See above. Get a BS -> get a PhD for Academia.

> is it like a 9-5 job where you're punching in and out, or do you have like once a week sessions in an office where you come up with shit and then add it to a thesis or research document or article or some shit?

Depends. In Industry, it's 9-5. In 90% of research it's whatever you make it. You get some structure from your PI, but most people choose their own hours, which are typically something like 8-9 to 6pm. Sometimes you come in super late because your bed was comfy but you stay later. Sometimes you get a nice lazy week where you can go out to lunch. Most of the time you get a 6-7 day workweek and spend 9-12 hours a day at work, trying to not fuck up your experiments for the 3rd time. Last week was crunch time and to be ready for a conference I slept an average of 3 hours a night. It all depends on what you need to do to get your work done and published.
I meet once a week with my PI to discuss data/progress/what comes next, as well as shit for grant submissions and paper reviews and whatnot.
>>
>>7735609
>>7738775
Forgot: most non-industry scientists are salaried, meaning we get payed the same no matter what. My fly-lab friends spend half the time I do in lab, my co-worker spends even more time than I do, but we all make the same 28k a year.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.