[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to Learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: engineering-school-meme.jpg (111 KB, 700x459) Image search: [Google]
engineering-school-meme.jpg
111 KB, 700x459
I'm studying to become an engineer, and someone said to me that the best way to do it is to "learn how to learn." Does anyone have any tricks for learning material quickly/efficiently?
>>
>>7731486
Is that Dubs? The mascot from UW?
He's the best.
>>
>>7731486
>engineer
meme degree, you'll be fine
>>
>>7731493

It's the most versatile degree in existence. You can apply to medical school and if you don't get in you're still an engineer. You can take the Mathematics or Physics subject GRE and get a high score and get into pure math/physics grad schools too.
>>
>>7731486
>someone said to me that the best way to do it is to "learn how to learn."
That's the sort of "deep wisdom" that sounds impressive but doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>7731486

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD4b-52jtos&list=PL2FF649D0C4407B30
>>
Use the force.
>>
>>7731498
All things you can do with a gender studies degree as well. Doesn't make the major any less of a meme.
>>
>>7731492
Yes it is, and yes he is. Cute mascots a best.
>>
>>7731486

The best thing u can do imo is create algorithms for every task of importance.
Which is nothing more than a step-by-step guide on what to do.
Somewhat like how formulas in math work.

Even if you forget at some point what you're doing, you can at least still do what you're supposed to as long as you have the algorithm in your head.
>>
>>7731498
>you can apply to med school

sure you can waste thousands on applications and sending MCAT test scores, but your engineering gpa aint gonna get you anywhere near acceptance levels for med school. also, if you are learning all that math and design shit, why bother throwing it all away to memorize a bunch of biology concepts? stupid idea mate.
>>
>>7731486
Get into the studying mindset whenever you need to study. Remove distractions.
Learn good written & listening communication skills if you don't already have them.
In class or while studying, think about how you would explain the new concepts to someone else with no knowledge about it. Eagerly to help fellow students in this way if you can. This will train your mind to understand the concept thoroughly.
I think of it like this:
1. Idea exists in a field of study
2. Professor explains the idea in his own words
3. You understand the words, then you try to understand the idea
4. You create your own explanation of the idea to test how much you actually understand
5. Repeat 3 & 4 until you have it all right

I found that I now do this constantly when I'm in the studying mindset, if that makes sense. It's different from any other situation like casual social conversations because of that step 4 in your thinking. It's like constant revision.

Another thing is you should always ask for clarification when you need it. Too often people are afraid to look stupid and they miss out.
>>
When I took precalc, I got my ass handed to me by a professor who was retiring the next year.

I was the only person to pass out of 12 people with a B. Everyone who stayed past the withdrawal period was happy that they actually learned something.

I guess a swift kick in the ass and a sense of determination really sets you in the right direction sometimes.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.