[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't really know which board I should post my question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
File: New_SAT_Logo_(vector).svg.png (11 KB, 250x173) Image search: [Google]
New_SAT_Logo_(vector).svg.png
11 KB, 250x173
I don't really know which board I should post my question on, but I assume this board is filled with people from the United States.. so here we go.

I am a Dutch citizen applying to M.I.T., to do that I need to do the SAT + 2 subjects. However, only one date is left, the january one. I can't take the SAT and the 2 subjects on the same day.

Does this mean I have to wait another year? I know it's quite late to apply to a university, but waiting a year really sucks.

Also, to keep it related, how hard is the Math level 1 and Biology SAT?
>>
If you have to ask about the SAT's difficulty, you shouldn't be applying to MIT.
>>
>>7731278
This. If you were MIT material you would have looked this up about a year ago. You can still go for it though OP. Yes you will probably need to wait another year if test dates don't work for you.
>>
>>7731268
mark pls go
>>
>>7731278
Mate, I am not from the US, I never heard of your tests. Jesus.
>>
>>7731283
Well, aren't you a judgemental. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>7731278
>>7731283
dong be ridiculous americucks, I heard about your stupid test a couple of weeks before I took them and knew nothing about them, still got perfect grades on them. foreigners don't know about your standarized shit

(MIT still rejected me ;_;)
>>
>>7731268
You can apply once a year anyway, if you really want to apply, take all the tests you can and make as strong an application as possible.

The SATs are very easy, and a perfect score will not guarantee your admission. MIT is very competitive, so keep your options open and apply to some other schools as well (top-tier state unis like GATech and UIUC for example are great options with much, much easier admissions)
>>
File: Kekarot.png (266 KB, 3214x1713) Image search: [Google]
Kekarot.png
266 KB, 3214x1713
>>7731268
Well. Bio is probably the easiest SAT. I got 800 as a freshman. Math is easy enough that you don't have to study. Take the math 2. I also took it in january, but I got snowed out and had to take it in february, which made it too late. When I asked why I was rejected from MIT, they told me they liked everything about me except how late I sent my shit...
>>
>>7731349
How did you do the SAT and Subject Tests that quickly?
>>
>>7731353
Damn, nice score dude. I guess reading that I should just go study and try get the perfect 2400 for next year.

As you say, sending in stuff now would give me a disadvantage.
>>
>>7731354
I took math & physics subjects, I think they were all on the same day along with the main SAT? I might be wrong but that's what I remember.

>>7731353
They told you? They didn't tell me shit. Did they really reply?
>>
>>7731353
You should try again next year!
>>
>>7731353
nice
>>
>>7731359
I called them
>>
>>7731454
Mind telling me what angle you took on the forms? Did you tell about facts? Tell a story? Act emotional?
>>
>>7731349
I feel you

>Top grades in my school, one of the best high schools in my country
>Awesome recommendation letters
>Full graphic design+technical drawing portfolio
>Loads of extracurricular activities, workshops, work experience from an important civil engineering studio
>Speak/read/understand 3 languages + my main language
>Sporty
> >750 sat scores in physics and math2
>Aced the TOEFL IBT
>Still got rejected without even being deferred or waitlisted because i'm a white christian european male

MIT was my only fucking dream, going to kill myself soon
>>
>>7731502
Why are MIT rejects so salty? It's always "it is cos I is white" and never "I am not special there are thousands of MIT applicants with the same and better credentials than me"
>>
>>7731502
Damn, this really isn't helping me..
>>
>>7731502
MIT says they care a alot about your personality.. so maybe that was the problem.

When did you apply?
>>
>>7731268
If you don't have an IMO medal or the equivalent and are not an underrepresented minority you probably are not getting into MIT.
>>
>>7731502
Being white isn't a disadvantage

Affirmative action just takes spots from asians and gives them to hispanics and niggers
>>
>>7731341
>>7731447
>>7731558
stop this
>>
>>7731569
Bullocks, you don't even have to tell them your race.
>>
>>7731611
Yes you do
>>
>>7731640

You don't have to put race, but if you leave out race, they will just assume you aren't a minority. Some universities might also try to limit the number of Indian / Asian people.
>>
>>7731646
Kinda strange that they care. But alright, thanks.
>>
you're not going to mit
>>
>>7731821
Fuck off mate. Thinking like that will never get you far in life.
>>
>>7731578
Being asian isn't a disadvantage

Affirmative action just takes spots from underperforming asians and gives them to whites, hispanics and niggers
>>
>>7731799

Caltech doesn't care, MIT might.
>>
>>7731971
Calltech is expensive as fuck man. If you parents make under 65000 a year MIT basically gives you the money.
>>
>>7732031
Bro, you got to be Einstein's younger brother to have them accept you with needs. Getting in without needs is hard enough as there are literally recluse/autists that can get your position without aid, which means more money, which is what the school wants
>>
>>7731502
Where did you go in the end?
>>
>>7732174
So I shouldn't try? I will, but I guess I will also apply to all other Ivy Leagues and then some. NYU and Calltech sound good too.

Dream man. Dreaaaam.
>>
>>7731502
750 math 2 is like 75th percentile
us admissions councils will be very nice to people with good test scores and bad grades, but they will savage folks with mediocre test scores and great grades.
>>
Shouldn't have procrastinated.

You don't need to go to MIT for undergrad anyways. It's a complete crapshoot because it's impossible to meaningfully differentiate between top-tier high school students, and they get more qualified applicants than they have room for.

If you really want to go to MIT, do well at any R1 and apply as a grad student. There are far fewer qualified applicants, and it's a lot easier to tell who the good students are going to be after they've been working in the field for a few years. If you know you're good enough to get in at that point, you probably will.
>>
>>7732174

They're ostensibly need-blind. I don't think they'd care unless you give them a donation big enough to build a new building.
>>
>>7731518
I didn't get in because I'm (half) Asian. There, I said it.
>>
I go into UChicago. Not even gonna finish my MIT application.
>>
>>7731268

>He thinks he's MIT quality but has to ask questions about one of the easiest high school level classes in the US

all_of_my_keks.jpg.wmv.avi.exe.dmg
>>
>>7732482

>Blaming race for not succeeding.

Are you sure you're not black?
>>
SAT subject tests "round up" pretty dramatically if I remember correctly. I heard you can get like half the questions wrong and still get a perfect score on math
>>
>>7731353
very impressive

where did you end up?
>>
I turned 18 a week ago and am highschool junior.

I have a 4.7 gpa, taken AP physics and got a 5 on the test. I am currently taking AP Calc BC, AP chem, and APUSH. I hope to take AP Bio, and AP stats senior year and I think I can get 5s on the test. I have near perfect scores on SAT and ACT. I have been working with a research team in a physics lab at a local university since 9th grade working 10-15 hours a week researching and collecting actual data used in several published papers. I have taken Linear algebra and classical mechanics at a community college as well.

I don't know if I exactly want to go to MIT, but do I have a shot at any of those types of elite colleges? I am a decent writer so I could probably write a good essay as well. For the record since you guys have been saying it impacts the process, I am white and my family makes ~70,000. I could use your opinion, I don't want to waste my time applying for elite colleges like MIT if I could just secure a spot in a uppertier decent one. Thanks.
>>
>>7733704
I ended up being a NEET. At least I'm masters in LoL now.
>>
>>7732482
Except that 90% of MIT is Asian. Same thing with all the top schools. You're just inferior to your full Asian counterparts intellectually.
>>
>>7731502
>good grades in a good school
>good recommendation letters
>had a job
>had extracurricular activities
>learned some languages
>"sporty" but you didn't mention that you were a good player on a good varsity sports team, so that means nothing
>not perfect SAT scores is a good thing when applying to MIT
>literally what

Just face it. You weren't MIT material. You had the exact same application as half the people who applied to MIT. You were good, but there's a bit of luck involved when you have such an average application for MIT. However, this is not the end of the world and I'm sure you got into another good university. Try harder than you did in high school and you can go to MIT for grad school.
>>
>>7733885
Just know that there are 10 other kids with literally perfect specs applying for the same spot you are. Think to yourself:"Why should MIT take me in?".
>>
>>7734311
Well damn how am I possibly supposed to make myself stand out then?
>>
>>7731502
>Good Grades from Good high school
Well your competing with people coming from places like Phillips Exeter that have perfect grades so this dosen't mean anything either.
>Sporty
Unless you were captain of some national team this dosen't mean shit.
>TOEFL IBT
Not having english as your first language is bad.(No offence to you, just in terms of admission it is)
etc etc Im sure you can see the picture?
>>
>>7734317
>>7734311
Sorry forgot to add something. Will colleges know that I repeated 8th grade and will it effect their decision? That is why I am 18 in junior year.
>>
>>7734317
Competitions and other unique experiences.
ie competing at Yale for model UN, Research experience(not real "research" but stuff like ISTS).
>>
>>7734328
I have been doing research for 3 years. Basically I research stuff that is to boring, tedious, or difficult that none of the grad students or the professor want or have time to do. I actually really like my research and my data and conclusions have been published in with larger papers my lab has put out several times now. I haven't done any "contests" or competed in a science fair though, maybe I oughtta try that. Problem is I don't know how to compete with these damn whiz kids because my research just isn't that interesting to people outside of my field. I looked up some of those contests and it all looks like kids who had help from grad students/professors doing "exciting" shit like biophysical research or something. I don't know maybe I'm just salty haha.
>>
LMAO at you guys thinking you didn't get into MIT was race.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.