[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished a B.S. in Applied Math with a minor in Econ. Ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: diploma.jpg (147 KB, 1557x832) Image search: [Google]
diploma.jpg
147 KB, 1557x832
Just finished a B.S. in Applied Math with a minor in Econ. Ask me almost anything.
>>
Are you going to grad school or Wall street?
>>
File: Applied Math.png (6 KB, 516x138) Image search: [Google]
Applied Math.png
6 KB, 516x138
>>7729782
>Applied Math
>>
>>7729788
Data analysis route, going to read grad school books on econometrics, machine learning, etc. since I don't like school.

Also long-time programmer so C++ w/ Python sounds cool.
>>
>>7729790

I actually don't like math
>>
What is the average speed of a brownian martingale?
>>
>>7729782
>Ask me almost anything
What questions won't you answer
>>
>>7729798
nigger meters/second

>>7729803
what's in my butt right now
>>
File: sad-bird1[1].jpg (9 KB, 620x377) Image search: [Google]
sad-bird1[1].jpg
9 KB, 620x377
>>7729815
>tfw you learned that martingale doesn't actually refer to a kind of bird
>>
>>7729826
never studied it, more of a linear algebra guy.
>>
>>7729782
Can you kiss your elbow?
>>
>>7729832
It's related to the stochastic differential equations that are studied for portfolio risk-management. The other half of financial mathematics is multivariate statistics so you should be fine.
>>
>>7729782
How long do you expect to be unemployed?
>>
>>7729782
Are you more interested in economics or mathematics?
>>
>>7729782

Do you feel like a loser compared to the other, more intelligent students in the math department?
>>
>>7729861
no, I think that requires a PhD
>>
File: 1442357692284.png (51 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442357692284.png
51 KB, 1000x1000
Is 3 weeks long enough to revise for the 4 exams?
>>
>>7729782
How long is your penis in yoctometres?
>>
>>7729912
Yes. But you have to stop shitposting on 4chan.
>>
Ready to enjoy your unemployment? I've been this way for two years since graduation
>>
>>7729889
at most 6 months

>>7729899
more interested in coding since I've been a hobbyist programmer since middle school. I was originally an economics major, then an econ major with a math minor, then a math major with an econ minor (current). I switched because the economics program wasn't teaching me how to apply econ knowledge, only some shitty theory with demand and supply curves which were all made up and drawn with hand-waving philosophical knowledge.

I liked compsci, econ, and some math. I ended up figuring that learning math would help me learn the rest more easily than picking econ or compsci.

>>7729903
no they can't program worth a shit

>>7729912
what 4 exams?

>>7729958
1.778e+23

>>7729984
sounds like you studied pure math.
>>
>>7730070
I plan on doing an economics major with a math minor. Would a math major with a econ minor be better and why? I feel like it would delay my graduation by alot.
>>
>>7730079
I was in your shoes at one point, see here where I explain >>7730070

I switched 2 years in, you can do it too. Econ majors are like 99% of the time qualitative instead of quantitative (Caltech, I know, has a quantitative econ program).

Basically an econ grad program is like a math undergrad program. I am not going to graduate school, but I sure as hell know that the only way to use econ is to know the math and how to solve real-world problems. Econ undergrad programs don't supply students with the tools to apply econometrics IRL, so I switched to math hoping for some answers or at least some ability to understand how one would go about conducting a real regression problem.

So with math I got to take a few independent courses which got me some XP in data mining, machine learning, also took an econometrics course (only one offered at my university) and it was FAR below the rigor I was seeing in legitimate textbooks for regression analysis or classification problems.

tl;dr; econ doesn't teach you what you need to know to solve problems IRL because they use baby math.
>>
>>7729782
What do you think of the actuarial profession?
>>
>>7729782
how much will you get in unemployment benefits?
>>
>>7729782
>not physics

enjoy your meme degree faggot
>>
>>7729782

>just an Applied Math major
Why are you such a fucking pleb, anon? Applied Math + Chem E here.
>>
>>7729782
Why didn't you just do compsci or IMS if you like programming most?
>>
>>7729791
Econometrics is pretty interesting desu. I'll probably go for a masters that has a strong econometric/time series analysis focus.

Did you take any cool mathematical economics classes? I might take one in a semester or two.
>>
>>7729782
What was our courses? Full list pls.

Im not from USA and i dont know what 'minor' is.

What does it gives to you?
What does achivement of it gives to you?
>>
>>7729782

Congratulations.

What elementary subject grade level will you be teaching? 5th grade Math?
>>
>>7729782
Hey, /anon/, I'm currently an undergrad Math/Econ interdisciplinary Major and do have a big question for you: what would you recommend knowing mathematically to be cutting-edge in economics research? What math tools are just starting to be utilized for economics?
>>
>>7729832
what is >linear algebra guy even supposed to mean?
There is not that much to know about linear algebra.
Also I would have assumed, a bachelors in applied math would have you at least take some probability theory where you learn about martingales.
>>
>>7733154
>There is not that much to know about linear algebra.
U srs m8?
>>
>>7733209
I am.
All the interesting stuff about linear operators happens on infinite dimensional vectorspaces, which is not linear algebra but spectral theory / c*-algebras
>>
>>7733124
CS and quantum mechanics(quantum computers -> quantum cryptocurrency -> future ecomonics)
>>
>>7729782

Honest question.

You a virgin?
>>
Huh, I'm a math major/econ minor but if I have the free time I might turn that minor into a double major, so it's nice to see threads like these. I'm more interested in math but I figured a math degree does best paired with something a little more applied.
>>7729782
What was your GPA, do you have a job lined up, and if so how hard would you say it was to get that job? I'm probably gonna finish with a GPA somewhere in the low 3s (3.1-3.3) from a mid-tier private school. My advisor has actually recommended graduate school just based on what I'm interested in so I'm thinking about that, but I'd like to know realistically what my prospects are in industry. I am working an internship this summer but it's in software development which really isn't something I want to do for a career, it was just the best paying and most convenient option for me.
>>
>>7733154
>There is not that much to know about linear algebra.
Fuck off.
>>
>>7733896
>there is not that much to know about linear algebra

smdh tbqh
>>
>>7733904
meant for
>>7733154
sorry fàm
>>
Guys which one would be better for getting my foot in finance? I don't care if it isn't IBD, I just want to have the best chance of breaking in the industry after I graduate.
>Finance w/ coop
>Finance econ double major
>Applied math and econ double major
School wont let me do applied math and finance qq.
>>
>>7730070
What is the best coding languages to learn? Also will completing all the coding academy has to offer on those languages be enough to qualify me to do anything?
>>
>>7729782
congratulations. as a body-positive, all-inclusive fat-activist i encourage the integration of autistic people like yourself into society.
>>
Ok.

Almost anything?
>>
>>7733154
Numerical linear algebra is a thing because gigantic sparse matrices show up in applications all over, like PDEs and the pagerank algorithm.
>>
>>7730436
How many years is it or will it take you to graduate?
>>
>>7733635
My own position is actually somewhat the same as this anon's and would like to hear some thoughts.
>>
>>7730436
I was a nuclear engineering and math double major for a bit. A nuke professor told me it'd be best to choose one major because the more I focus on math, the worse I am as a nuclear engineer and vice versa. Ended up dropping nuke and just being a math major. 2 majors isn't necessarily better because you can get considerably more depth into your field with one major(and be better prepared for grad school).
>>
>>7729791
self teaching is a bad idea, you should find an internship for that, then get an offer to stay, and then dump them for another firm for better money once you have a solid professional profile
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.