[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the science behind convincing propaganda which elicits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cocktail.jpg.w300h300.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cocktail.jpg.w300h300.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
What's the science behind convincing propaganda which elicits strong emotional responses from people, to the extent of making them do stuff like kill people or even sacrifice themselves?

Also, where can I learn the science of making propaganda? I have a degree in video and graphic design, but this only means that I know how to use the software. I want to learn how to actually make the propaganda content.
>>
You're probably best off asking /his/. There is the science of psychology, but it is difficult to get things more profound out of that than "racism feels good," "fear is powerful," and "belief warps perspectives." You need an applied study and that's what the propagandaists of history have done.
>>
>>7729778
It's not a science. More of an art. like advertising and persuasion. I would look into marketing/ public Speaking/advertising techniques along with research into photography/design whcih should teach you how humans react to visual stimulus.

Also psychology in general would be smart to research.
>>
psychoanalysis contributed directly to the creation of modern advertising

read up on edward bernays and freud in particular
>>
>>7729778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgcd6jvsCFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VbKIfFyRXU
>>
>>7729778
I'm not sure if there's a name for it, but a lot of work has been done on the indoctrination techniques used by cults. Any reasonably scholarly book about the Jonestown cult probably has references to people who specialize in how indoctrination, propaganda, dogmatic religion, and advertising works, and what kind of people it has such a strong hold on the imaginations of. Doubtless there isn't a gene for skepticism, but it is apparent that people with a comic disposition are less susceptible to the charms of blind obedience, as well as less driven to induce it in others. So while there is a science to delusional thinking, comedy is to a large degree the art of conferring or enhancing immunity to it.
>>
>>7729778
behavioral psychology
>>
Sociology. Hands down, Sociology.
>>
>>7729778
I guess you could read the works of Edward Bernays. But as someone else said it's more of an art than a science.
>>
>>7730732
So if I wish to indoctrinate my country completely, all comedians must be shot? Interesting!
>>
>>7730732
I once been told by some PR people that as far as straight up manipulation goes - the best way to do it is actually through logic and reasoning.
Just look at /pol/ and sjw - it's "scientific" and "accurate" researches, diagrams and percentages as far as the eye can see.

People with sense of humor used to disrupt and deconstruct logical links in order to make jokes, so they are generally less susceptible to it.
>>
>>7729778
Learning about this is on my to do list.

I just want to start a cult so that I can have a harem of 12 year old girls
>>
>>7731461
i'd go for 14-17
>>
>>7729860
>science
>psychology
pick one
>>
>>7731718
As flismy its basis is psychology is better for this.
>>
Psychology being a science is as strong as linguistics. Social Pyschology being the weakest of them all.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.