[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not artificially breed human embryos and genetically modify
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
Why not artificially breed human embryos and genetically modify them to have progeria and study them to cure aging? If you breed a human species that lives the span of a fruit fly, I'd say you could cure aging fairly fast. Thoughts?
>>
>>7725473

Because it is unethical. However, you could try moving to China and doing it, or building a secret lab in outer space.
>>
>>7725473
too expensive. Babies take too long to mature.
>>
>>7725473
Do it in rats first.
>>
>>7725493
>much ethics

Fuck off you feelfag. Ethics holds science back.
>>
>>7726056

Without ethics, a lot of scientists would just cheat and fabricate results and shit. So we need ethics for science.
>>
>>7726064
Ethics in reporting results, sure, but I don't see why we shouldn't be able to clone stockpiles of humans and vivisect humans and apes if doing so would benefit humanity. The whole great ape personhood movement is a roll of bologna and pisses me off.
>>
>>7725493
>you could try moving to China and doing it
That's a possibility but quite a bit of a hassle setting up this kind of thing in China without official approval. Its one thing if you're just working with cells, but God forbid, if someone mistakes them as Han Chinese, OP will never work in science again. At this point in time, I wouldn't recommend it unless OP is Chinese and will be educated outside of the US.

>>7726056
If you truly mean what you say, wish to remain low key, and want to be at the forefront of science, there is a place for you. This proposal doesn't sound that unethical, but are you willing to work along with other researchers whose work is just a bit less ethical? If you get good, there's a life sciences company with a major facility in Central Asia that's right up your alley. It's all modern so don't expect any Soviet era concrete travesties on the campus. As long as you can justify it, you'll get the equipment and supplies that you want. As this is a private money operation, you'll be free from the grant writing begathon so you can focus on your research. For your sake, I truly do hope you mean what you say. Not everyone was able to continue after seeing them in person. Should you make it there, don't say that you weren't warned.
>>
>>7726056
Why don't you volunteer to be purposefully infected with AIDS so we can use you as a test subject for some potential gene therapies?

We'll skip the pre-human testing. You might die like the first guy who we tried gene therapy on, but ethics be damn.
>>
>>7725473
If we are willing to create diseased humans, why are we trying to cure human diseases?
>>
>>7726305
It's lucrative and some people enjoy the challenge.
>>
>>7726104
Morality derives from the traits that lead to a species survival. Because we survived as a species, we do not like using our own inhumanely. Besides that, it would take 9 months per offspring and millions of dollars per study with a significant sample size. It very inefficient when mouse/rat models can achieve the same and faster.
>>
>>7726290
>Google central private central Asian life sciences company

>"There are over 900 life sciences companies in central Asia"
>>
>>7726312
But it would be way cooler, anon.
>>
File: 1426333364555.jpg (337 KB, 2474x1912) Image search: [Google]
1426333364555.jpg
337 KB, 2474x1912
>>7725493
>>Because it is unethical.
nice personal opinion.
>>
File: 1435120210549.png (70 KB, 1938x434) Image search: [Google]
1435120210549.png
70 KB, 1938x434
>>7726312
>It very inefficient when mouse/rat models can achieve the same and faster.

>it is ethical to use animals for human research
>it is not ethical to use human for human research

hahahahahahahahhahahahaha.
>>
>>7726336
Yes...obviously. Ethics derives from morality. Morality derives from precedents that lead to species survival. Exploiting animals was key to our survival as a species. In this case, it is preferable to the other options of using humans for research or not obtaining the knowledge the study would provide.
>>
File: tmp_3893-tipping1772726406.jpg (28 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
tmp_3893-tipping1772726406.jpg
28 KB, 437x437
>>7726056
>>
>>7726330
>posts a pointless pic off the interwebs
>>
>>7726104
>but I don't see why we shouldn't be able to clone stockpiles of humans and vivisect humans and apes if doing so would benefit humanity
>le self-diagnosed sociopath meme
>>
>>7725473
ayy lmao
>>
ok
>>
Because the discovery of telomeres has already been made.
>>
so nobody cares
>>
>>7725473
no, because unlike lower animals, humans have an ability to understand and interpret the environment around them and then deduce conclusions based on it. A human baby can understand when it is being tortured, when it is being talked to (and also understand the content), when it is being scolded, etc. We deal in abstractions, and animals do not. We can choose to think or not, but the animals can not, because they have no apparatus for it.

By conducting research on a human (or any species that can understand its own rights (intelligent ayy lmaos instead of humans)) you are, quite literally, TORTURING that creature. He has done NOTHING to you, and yet you hold a claim over his life, just because he is born because of you. It would be akin to parents being free to murder their own children/being able to sell body parts freely after birth.

It's called murder.

You CAN do this to lower animals, though. That is fine.
>>
>>7729516
>we deal in abstractions, other animals do not
Do you have a single piece of evidence to back that up?
>>
>>7729526
literally every piece of information you integrate initially rests on an abstraction.

How else do you explain babies learning how to climb stairs, toddlers learning how to use phones, keyboards, or, amazingly enouh, babies under a year being able to differentiate upto three different languages even when they were spoken in the same tone?
>>
File: 1391612263314.jpg (187 KB, 625x409) Image search: [Google]
1391612263314.jpg
187 KB, 625x409
>>7729516
>no, because unlike lower animals, humans have an ability to understand and interpret the environment around them and then deduce conclusions based on it.

Anyone want to defend "lower animals" against this retarded argument?

At what point does the human embryo "understand" and "interpret" the environment around them? I would propose, "Never"

Christfags doctrine: You Are Who You Were Before You Were Conceived And Will Be After Your Body Is Dead.

In order for a coherent theory of a "soul" this "soul" has to be there from conception (embroynic cell development). Abortion literally interferes with "God's Plan" by interrupting this Soul to Body assignment. And if human embryos literally don't have thoughts or reason, they can't really be expected to be fully human. All that you are came from 100% dead stupid matter and a cluster of dividing cells. Christfags deny this.

Really, it is ridiculous religious bullshit to imagine that fetuses think about things. What would they think about? There is nothing to think about. They are totally encapsulated and have zero needs. Any metabolic requirements are mediated between fetus and mother via automatic biochemical signals.

What Christfags will deny is that souls don't exist, and personalities and "minds" don't exist in fetuses. There is no "tragedy" in abortion because no actual sentient life is extinguished. There is no tragedy because "no one" is killed in the process. There is no "potential" extinguished except that which we fantasize about.

>A human baby can understand when it is being tortured, when it is being talked to (and also understand the content), when it is being scolded, etc.

And what kind of adult "scolds" a baby? The kind of adult that reasons in a thread about fetuses anecdotes about "babies". You fucking retard.

We deal in abstractions, and animals do not. We can choose to think or not, but the animals can not, because they have no apparatus for it.
>>
>>7729526
>>>7729516
>>we deal in abstractions, other animals do not
>Do you have a single piece of evidence to back that up?

Who needs evidence when you have rhetoric?

I propose deoxyribonucleic acid as the sole source of information forming a human being and in fact, all life.

For evidence see the entire canon of scientific research.
>>
>>7729543
I never even said "fetus" in my post. I never even meant that. I always meant a human baby outside the vag.

>>7729552
wut
>>
File: 1445363147285.jpg (979 KB, 1735x2325) Image search: [Google]
1445363147285.jpg
979 KB, 1735x2325
Do you guys think we'll become immortal through a biological means or something more akin to becoming a computer? If immortality was the only goal of my life how should I approach attaining it?
>>
>>7729540
>>7729552
Why are you guys ignoring the second half of the greentext?
>>
>>7729873
By killing yourself ASAP.
>>
>>7729971
keked
>>
name of facility? I can't bring up my thoughts and ideas to my friends because...muh ethics...currently majoring in genetics
I suck with foreign language but I would learn Chinese quick for that chance

>>7726290
>>
>>7725473
This is literally a season one X-Files episode you faggot.
>>
>>7726056

>muh science.

autism
>>
>>7729873
kill urself
>>
>>7726104
>Ethics in reporting results, sure
Fuck off you feelfag. Ethics holds science back.
>>
>>7732515
......and we've come full circle.

sage
>>
>>7732515
nice personal opinion
>>
>>7729873
>>7729873
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/417249/young-blood-reverses-signs-of-aging-in-old-mice/
first this, you need to reverse engineer difference between young and old blood contents and you can inject human with these, in theory you could be immortal just using that
but of course there are more advanced things to do.
stem cell transplants into bone marrow which some day could be grown from genomes modified to be more efficient
modifying body ageing clock probably by gene therapy
cyborgization in parallell with whole designer organs (grown from modified genomes)
you could even design artificial organ(s) that would work as an internal factory for all longevity compounds needed. or for other drugs.
cyborgization isn't the way to go i think, all of this is very crude compared to whatever biology has created over billions of years but it will be developed nevertheless
of course then you get nanotechnology which is kinda generalization of biotechnology into other possible non-biological yet living systems, well actually it's just a matter of degree on spectrum
>>
>>7729516
Is it OK for me to torture you because I am more intelligent then you?
>But we are both human and the difference in intelligence is minuscule compared to animals!
Is it OK for a super intelligent AyyLmao to torture you because he thinks the same way about humans as we do about other animals?
>>
>>7725493
FUCK OFF
>>
>>7732808
>you need to reverse engineer difference between young and old blood contents and you can inject human with these,
But that's hard.

Can't I just become a vampire and feed off orphan kids?
>>
File: kanyee.jpg (101 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
kanyee.jpg
101 KB, 1280x854
>>7732812
If it helps save the species of the 'AyyLmao' sure why not. You're looking at it from a short distance perspective.
>>
>>7729516

Most other animals can do that too, truth is humans arent that different.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.