[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY IS STATISTICS SO CONFUSING i have never felt so stupid in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: unhappy frog.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
unhappy frog.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
WHY IS STATISTICS SO CONFUSING

i have never felt so stupid in my entire life
>>
>>7724967
Stats is easy senpai
>>
>>7724971
looks like i'm a fucking idiot because i literally can't understand the most basic concepts of probability
>>
it's not confusing it's just taught poorly 99% of the time
>>
>>7724967
What are you talking about? Statistics is literally the easiest math course I've taken in my life, no lie. Especially confidence intervals, probability, and hypothesis testing.

Piece of cake.
>>
>>7724987
Don't worry, OP. >>7725075 is right, I took stats and struggled just to get to the exam with a C, found out the proper way to do everything, prof was a dumbass.

If the course and course materials aren't helping you, look somewhere else and getting a different (better) explanation will make all the difference.
>>
>>7725146
i hope you're right

can you recommend any books or something?
>>
>>7724967
On the topic of statistics...

What's the probability for exploding dice?
Like I want to calculate the average of a dire roll (let's say a six-sided die) where, any time it rolls a 6, you roll it again and add the result. If it's another 6, you keep going.

Actually, I wrote a program to test this, didn't know the math, and made it so it does it empirically with a hundred thousand rolls. But I want to check it 'cause I'm having trouble coping with some of the results. So I guess reluctantly, I need the math.
>>
>>7725212
Sounds interesting, to be fair. I'm looking into exploding dice as well. If I find anything, I'll let you know.
>>
"naked statistics" by wheelan - a very new york times-y 101 book on the basics of statistics. the use of real world examples and simple language might get you in a headspace to understand the mathematical interactions.

jbstatistics on youtube - he is clear, concise, and teaches you to think in correct terminology (which is important because i feel like statistics an get lost in grammar and symbols if you aren't clear, for example: the mean x-bar which is a statistic vs the mean mu which is a parameter).

"principles of statistics" by bulmer - a basic book on statistics that uses technical language and mathematical formulas. it is dry but the best first step to really understanding what's going on. it's important to know how to calculate by hand, even though R or something similar will do it for you, because that's the only way to truly interpret the outputs you are given. seems to me that lots of stats is about interpretation.

i feel like these were are teaching tools than the mcgraw-hill type horseshit books my school used.
>>
>>7725166
http://math1.snru.ac.th/UserFiles/File/math1@snru/2556/HOGG;%20CRAIG%20-%20Introduction%20to%20Mathematical%20Statistics%20(4th%20Edition)(1).pdf
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.