[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is a Circle just a polygon with googols of sides?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1446880181014.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446880181014.gif
2 MB, 500x500
is a Circle just a polygon with googols of sides?
>>
No. A circle is, by definition, not a polygon because it has no straight sides.
>>
>>7723749
Are you implying a circle is organic?
>>
a circle is a lymit of regular polygons when the numbers of sides goes to infinity
>>
It has one (curved) side. Therefore, it is a monogon, but not a polygon.
>>
>>7723806
So a circle is not a basic geometric objet, but rather it shouls be the triangle.

My whole life is a lie.
>>
>>7723769
A circle is all the points a fixed length from an origin. So yes.
>>
>>7723807
gon refers to angles, not sides.
>>7723745
no, that’s a googolgon or whatever. anything short of infinite sides is a polygon, not a circle and since infinity is a limit, not a number, this definition will always be a flawed approximation (which is fine for any practical use, but messed up mathematically)
>>
>>7723745
No, a circle is not a polygon. This isn't hard.
>>
If there was infinite time to calculate every point on a circle then the points would become so close to each other that it looks like there is no space in between them. For every set of points making a line you wiĺl find another point between them, people use this facts to argue that a circle has no sides and that it isnt a polygon.

When we are taking about realism and whats actually possible then infinity doesnt exist and every circle every faggot is ever able to construct will be an n-sided pololygon.

Now there are many people who are thinking whats actually contstructable in the real world doesnt belong into the world of mathematics.

Their set of axioms is their Bible and infinity is their god.

inb4 wildberger plz go
>>
File: 1450244375237.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450244375237.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>7723745
I could not help but notice your gif was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your gif.
Your gif is now optimized.
>>
>>7724116
wildberger plz go

But really, it's a shame this even needs to be said. People've got somethin' wrong with em' I'll tell ya.

"Mathematics is abstract and immaterial." No, it's an arrangement and state of a particle system, in this case, your brain. or whatever medium you've transcribed it to that another suitable decoder could interpret.

Mathematics has always been almost fundamentally a religious deal. Pythagoreans thought they had unmasked a grand truth of the universe, Newton wanted to unravel the mind of God. Planck... etc. At least these people did something with math instead of just masturbating over its uncanny sense of coherence and "beauty".
>>
>>7724119
I'll optimize yer mum
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.