[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is bothering me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 1450108507-20151214.png (796 KB, 684x2500) Image search: [Google]
1450108507-20151214.png
796 KB, 684x2500
This is bothering me.
>>
Brown skinned Muslims don't appreciate the photon acting like a particle.
>>
File: fuckyouformakingmedothis.jpg (56 KB, 723x507) Image search: [Google]
fuckyouformakingmedothis.jpg
56 KB, 723x507
What don't you understand?
>>
>>7722363

What about it bothers you?
>>
>>7722363
There would still be light travelling towards the screen while your hand is in front of the light. The screen would not see a shadow until the light that had already been travelling to the screen had all gotten there.
>>
>>7722379
>>
File: atoms.png (3 MB, 1197x2167) Image search: [Google]
atoms.png
3 MB, 1197x2167
Are dreams?
>>
>>7722363

I'd guess that its because a shadow isn't a thing its an absence of thing. Its not a thing that can move so isn't bound by the speed of light.

That's just an idea, not sure of anything to be honest family.
>>
>>7722363
But the shadow doesn't fucking move at all. It's just the absence of what is supposed to be transmitted.
>>
I can't believe I have to post this cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvcpdfGUtQ
>>
>>7722363
>Negative spaces is stuff
No.
>>
>>7722379
>Not even getting a simple SMBC cartoon

The "shadow" on the screen obviously does not appear instantaneously, after it does and the light where you've moved your hand starts hitting the trillion mile wide screen, that's where the shadow starts moving as you moved your hand at the start to block the incident radiation coming out of the spotlight.
>>
>>7722458
Oh god how intolerable!
>>
>>7722363
What about it bothers you?
>>
>>7722458
>calling it cancer
>knowing exactly which one to post

sure thing friend
>>
>>7722472
There would still be a delay.
>>
>>7722363
>>7722379
>>7722387
>>7722434
>>7722455
>>7722472
I think you're not getting the point of the cartoon, the speed of the shadow across the screen 1.61*10^15 m s-1 (1 trillion miles in one second), as a human concept the shadow is travelling faster than the speed of light however I imagine if a planck length is the minimum space grid then the shadow will arrive in pixels (ignoring diffraction (unless diffraction is caused by Heisenberg uncertainty)), pixel width = 1.61*10^15 / ((width of original beam)/h)
>>
You cant use the FTL shadow to transfer information FTL so its oke.

Like you sent two alarm clocks far apart. When they ring simultaneously, an ignorant person might say you can transmit information using them.

This is however not possible because there exist no causal pathway from one to the other, only a causal pathway from wherever the clocks originally started which never was FTL and doesnt even exist anymore.
>>
>>7722363
Dark travels faster than light senpai
>>
Actually kinda cool but:

You're annihilating light at your scale of distance, so on the screen it would look like whatever section of it your hand disturbed would darken and lighten at the speed of light.

The hand WOULD be too fast, but reality wouldn't just conform to that and display it.
>>
this might sound stupid but wouldn't shadows ,technically, not exist since dark is just the absence of light so the shadow isn't an entity that travels at a speed its simply the area where the light isn't shining.
>>
>>7722363
So.

IF you had a light strong enough for this purpose such that outside noise wouldnt overwhelm the signal, it would vaporise your hand when you crossed the path and..

IF your hand was impervious to photons and..

IF quantum mechanics stopped working such that photons very close to the edge of your hand didnt have their momentum randomized by the uncertainty principal, so that your shadow wasn't obliterated by randomness within the signal itself and..

IF you could somehow observe the entire greater than a light-year shadow simultaneously which you cant ...

THEN you still aren't breaking any more rules because individual photons hitting individual points in space (or not) are entirely individual events and as such there are no limits between them.
>>
>>7724140
Naysayer
>>
It's just an illusion. Like have you ever seen when traffic barrier lights are synced up and it looks like the flashing lights are moving really fast (like airplane runway lights). This is the same concept. What is confusing is that it seems that the lights (or shadows) are related to one another. They're not - they are completely independent.

You could do the same thing on the moon with lights. Put one on the eastern rim, the center of the moon and one on the western rim. Put them in sequence quick enough and it looks like the light flashes are moving faster than c across the mokn's face. But they aren't related. Nothing is moving faster than c in this example.
>>
>>7723470
>as a human concept the shadow is travelling faster than the speed of light

Maybe I'm just autistic, but isn't the appearance of the shadow just a measure of how long it takes for the photons to finish their trip?
>>
>>7722398
Dreams are the result of chemistry in the brain, diethyltryptamine and what not. All those molecules are made of atoms
>>
You are forgetting one important thing. The beam is diverging so the photons at the outside of the beam have to travel longer than those in the centre.
>>
>>7722382
This
What are the 26 posts above me arguing about?
>>
>>7722398
Philosophically maybe. Light sources are made of atoms. What is standing in the way of light is made of atoms. The surface the shadow is on is made of atoms. A shadow cannot exist without a light source, because then it wouldn't be a shadow, so paradoxically it is!
>>
File: overshadow.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
overshadow.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I don't think comic means to say the shadow would be instantly on the screen.

This is the same thing as if the sun got destroyed. Sun would seem normal for about 8 minutes here on earth after it because it takes the light some time to travel this far.

However comic means to say that once the light does hit the screen the shadow would scale so that it seemes to cross across the vast screen in the matter of seconds and this way the shadow would move faster than the speed of light.

But if we look closely we can see that nothing physical doesn't actually move here - as the shadow is just a little pause we left between photons that hit the screen - and thus nothing actually moves faster than light.

It would be same as taking a rope and sending a wave to move across it: any given piece of rope ísn't moving forward with the wave. It's just the timing of the up-and-down movements of the rope that change.

As for the "information can't move with the shadow" goes I think it goes like this:

Let's say you want to tell that your alarm has gone off on the left side of the screen to someone who stands on the right side of the screen. Now you would have 2 options:

First you could just send light from the right side across the screen to the left side and tell your friend beforehand that this means that your alarm has gone off. This takes as long as it takes the light to cross the screen and doesn't cause any problems with the speed limit.
OR
You could tell someone to move their hand over light and tell you friend that when they see the shadow cross the screen (or the distant light blinking from their perspective) the alarm has gone off.
But you first have to some way signal the person holding the light to move their hand and that takes a lot of time and so the speed limit isn't broken again. The shadow itself can move as fast as it pleases as the any 'information' it carries (the reason the person made the shadow in the first place) is given to it long time ago.
>>
Learn more, so its doesn't bother.

Shadow is nothing. Light is something. Nothing moves faster than light.
>>
>>7724492
Yes, and those photons travel at the speed of light, if the hand moves across the beam in one second (ignoring plank length) the hand blocks the light smoothly over that second, at the screen when the light completes its journey the last photons will hit the screen and then a shadow forms, the shadow will propagate over the trillion mile screen in a second, the edge of the shadow has travelled faster than the speed of light, the way it can travel faster than the speed of light is because a shadow isn't a wave or a particle, it is a human made concept
>>
>>7724492
A shadow can only exist when there is an entity that can understand the contrast difference between a lack of light on a surface, in the eyes of the universe it just sees atoms and photons, no complex higher order concepts
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.