[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else find existence weird? The fact that we exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: UPsAr.jpg (63 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
UPsAr.jpg
63 KB, 640x1136
Does anyone else find existence weird? The fact that we exist and interact with people who all have a different vision of reality scares the fuck out of me. There's so little that we know and life is uncertain. How does /Sci/ rationalize this?
>>
>>7721489
Try to be a productive member of society.
>>
>>7721489
Yup its weird.
>>
>>7721489
Gain power and nihilistically undermine the very system that supports you for no reason. Do lots of drugs while doing this as well. Also tell everyone that you're trying to help and promote "progress".
>>
>>7721489
What does existence even mean?
>>
>>7721489

/tv/ here, you might like the movie Waking Life.
>>
>>7721489

Smoke less pot
>>
File: asd.jpg (26 KB, 306x273) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
26 KB, 306x273
>>7721489
> The fact that we exist and interact with people who all have a different vision of reality scares the fuck out of me.

Have you watched neon genesis evangelion?

I'm waiting for the third impact to end that suffering.
>>
sometimes when I'm walking down the street or whatever, it suddenly hits me that I'm an sentient, function being in an actual world and my consciousness feels really weird and new and alien to me
>>
>>7723155
functioning goddammit
>>
>>7721489
>How does /Sci/ rationalize this?

i dont
i just ignore it
works pretty well desu senpai
>>
>>7721489
>Babby's first existential crisis
>>
File: índice.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
índice.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Reason is the opposite of subjectivism. As you get away from the subjective animal, yeah, your experience on Earth becomes weird. You are used to think in terms of quantities, forms, eternal abstractions, simulations, basically platonism, yet here you are reading on a screen with you ape eyes. This feeling of asymetry is Solved by explaining how a realm like ours arises from our platonic Logic. Random realms with random physical laws? Unlikely. God? Hmm...
>>
File: Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png (7 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png
7 KB, 645x773
>dem feels

they invented a new word just for that feel.

sonder - n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkoML0_FiV4
>>
>>7723155
You need to get help with that. Because that shit can fuck you.
>>
>>7723394
*up
We have the same problem it seems definitely. It's probably just severe ADHD.
>>
>>7723398
idk it's much rarer now than when I was a kid
probably should spend less time in front of the computer though
>>
>>7722965
But Shinji rejected the Third Impact in the end.
>>
>>7723394
What the fuck anon. There's nothing wrong or bad about what they're experiencing. They don't "need help". Help from whom? Help with what? What is the goal here?

If not normal, it's benign for most people. Happens to me occasionally. if anything that anon needs to reduce their latent stress levels and not deprive themselves of adequate sleep. That's a lot of what does it for me.
>>
>>7724468
well, it's true I've been stressed out a bit lately and haven't been getting enough sleep which might be why these experiences have been coming back to me
I don't mind them really, they're quite interesting and I can snap out of them fairly quickly
>>
>>7724485
Not gonna quote all of you but I think it's what's called dissociation, just so you can read up on it, sounds like it's pretty harmless in small amounts.
>>
File: 1448774586287.jpg (175 KB, 421x600) Image search: [Google]
1448774586287.jpg
175 KB, 421x600
Isn't it like depersonalization or depersonalization?

Though on a side note, dp/dr has a stupid definition because the problem isn't whether or not you're dreaming. It's the fact/awareness that you're not and everything here is indeed real. That's what causes the discomfort because it implies a lot of scary stuff.

The typical dp/dr people tend to mix up, and describe psychosis more than any kind of "realization." If you feel like you're in a dream and get scared, it's psychosis. But if you know you're not dreaming and get freaked out at your existence/existence in general than it's a form of dp/dr. But good luck explaining that to someone who's never felt it.
>>
File: 1408237221655.jpg (752 KB, 1440x1052) Image search: [Google]
1408237221655.jpg
752 KB, 1440x1052
I have a hard time being myself around other people who aren't close friends, and even then my girlfriend sees a whole side of me they don't even see.

On the inside I'm a big goof, I love cuddling, cute animals, playing video games, more obscure music, etc. I vape weed erryday and love craft beer.

When I'm in public or at university, I have a serious, emotionless look on my face. I'm just finishing my engineering undergrad now and moving on to do a masters. In my engineering classes I always felt like I belonged, I could contribute to discussions, I enjoyed the material etc.

In more social settings, I'm quiet. It seems like I can't relate to anyone's interests. They just seem so basic and simple. Before I started my degree I read a lot of satire, watched a lot of art house movies, but now whenever I talk to my art major friends I really find everything they do terribly uninspired and dull.

I've become a walking cliche. I'm too self invested to care about things that don't appeal to me and I'm too self aware to be myself around other people.

I find people unpredictable, obnoxious, and too forgiving of idiots deluding themselves with media and things that really don't matter.

Somewhere along the way I lost any respect I had for the humanities, and it's turned me into a bitter person.

Overall it seems life isn't pointless. I have a lot to offer the world and even more that I want from it. I just wish I could be less critical and more accepting.

I think I just need a good long break. I can't wait to get home for Christmas.
>>
File: 1430165346789.jpg (16 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
1430165346789.jpg
16 KB, 329x500
>>7724514

Wait you know what, I don't think it's Engineering that is responsible for this.

I've been coming to 4Chan since I was 14. No wonder I'm such a snob.
>>
>>7724502
I posted above (starting with what the fuck anon). I had an extensive experience with depersonalization / derealization in my later teens to early twenties. I also ended up going a bit crazy, but that's not directly relevant.

I pretty firmly believe, that like many problems people face, it stems from philosophical deficits. Through being encouraged or prompted, or given a medium to think about such things, people can resolve a lot of it pretty easily through reconciling whatever their issue with the nature of reality and their own experience actually is.

When you really look at it, of course it's weird. We can't even prove our senses and mental processing provides an accurate prediction of the real world, can't prove our memories are real, can't prove much of anything. You're hitting up against an axiomatic layer that can't be resolved further, and have to learn to accept that it's all probably true to some extent, and it's irrelevant if it isn't.

I also have visual snow which might have contributed. I didn't seek out or think I needed any kind of assistance, and had to slowly endeavor into things on my own as it all just played out. That's why I'm pretty critical of the "get some help" response. The type of help someone feeling discomfort needs is fairly specialized line of inquiry, and all it really says to the one hearing it is "you're probably fucking crazy and need someone to fix you." Which is not very helpful, eh?
>>
>>7724521

I think "help" really implies accepting that a little bit of delusional thinking is not a bad thing.

We evolved to be what we are basically by luck, and our planet is a small chunk of rock floating through an infinite void.

If you started every day with that there's no way you could get anything done. Think about it. Accept it. Move on.
>>
>>7724520
you've got it
while 4chan definitely isn't "the darkest place on the internet" as many people make its 'culture' certainly is specific and demanding, which might affect its users' view of the 'real world' and their attitude towards people and expectations of them
I don't know if what I just said makes any sense but there you go
>>
>>7721489
I find it a bit disconcerting that our mere observation of something, or attempts to measure it, may fundamentally change how it behaves.
>>
>>7721489
With science. What are you even asking?
>>
File: 1449536031388.jpg (10 KB, 350x234) Image search: [Google]
1449536031388.jpg
10 KB, 350x234
>>7724554
It makes sense. You are what you eat, and you are what you read. I've found I get invested in arguments that I have no real attachment to, I just jump in for the sake of arguing - and with 4chan it's not debate so much as counter-productive shitflinging of vague ideas in an attempt to get the other anon/s to concede, which in itself is kind of pointless. After years of adapting to 4chan levels of 'bantz' I find myself failing at any real debate.
I know my vocabulary skills haven't certainly gone down the shitter and my spelling skills are beginning to follow suit, but that isn't 4chans fault so much as current circumstance.
>>
what a bunch of benders you lot are

I bet you're all really stupid as well.
>>
>>7724514
>>/blogposting/
>>
File: 52ada9bd1605fb03da00006d.jpg (139 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
52ada9bd1605fb03da00006d.jpg
139 KB, 400x398
>>7724626

>not having the mental capacity to see through your shallow excuse for an existence
>>
>>7724626
>Not being intelligent enough to reverse engineer other people and their outputs.
>>
>>7724561
Except it doesn't, if you had ever actually even touched an introductory QM book. Or even just read the basics online or something.

"Observation" in terms of QM does not refer to a conscious observer, it refers to literally anything that interacts with a particle's wavefunction.

Look at it this way. You can observe your door. Observing your door entails either touching it directly with your hand, or having light fall on the door, reflect, and travel to your eye. Normally, we wouldn't think of just looking at a door as interacting with it. However, if your door was very tiny, on the scale of atoms, even a ray of light falling on your "door" can impart enough energy on it to change it's position or energy.

The term "observer" was only chosen because they had experimental consequences in mind, i.e, that on the atomic scale, you can't really look at or measure anything without changing the system you're trying to look at, because any form of measurement requires some form of interacting with the particle, which is naturally going to change its position or momentum.

A good way to think about it is having a flashlight in a dark room, and imagine photons / light rays as bowling balls, and how then trying to look at a door would naturally change how it appears/behaves, i.e, blows it to shit.
>>
>>7724637
>>7724640
>tfw I actually made productive use of my intelligence
>tfw laughing at gutter pleb neets playing pretend-philosopher
>>
>>7724649

>productive use of my intelligence

aka being a wagekek
>>
>>7724521
>he type of help someone feeling discomfort needs is fairly specialized line of inquiry
If you get help for any kind of shit like this you'll just get put on antipsychotics and that's that. Honestly I think old-fashioned psychoanalysis wasn't as bad as people make it out to be nowadays.
>>
>>7721489
The opposite of existence nonexistence is actually weird as anything that is real exists meaning for there to be any reality at all SOMETHING MUST EXIST. Absolute nothingness is impossible to comprehend meaning its beyond impossible in reality and may not be found anywhere in all of existence.
Pay close attention I said all of existence meaning existence is infinite and endless.

You dont really think there was nothing before the big bang do you? Oh no buddy there was SOMETHING that our baby universe in its singularitiy state was floating in, heck the universe could still be floating in this something right now but we just can detect it since we cant find the boundary of our universe due to its insanely fast expansion rate.

Now consious human existence is just a form of being aware of your existence while most existing things in the universe have no idea they exist at all, consious existence is a product of electromagnetism most likely since our thoughts are electrical impulses, but in the end our unconsious existence is what will always exist as our biological consiousness is restricted to the state of our cerebral hemispheres. While our mental existence is gone, our physical existence will always be here on earth.
>>
>>7724649
I've used my intelligence to understand the world and generate mental structures that allowed me to survive being homeless in subzero temperatures going days without food or water. I can walk 40 miles in a single day in those very conditions that you likely believe yourself immune to falling into.

I've known people like you, and I've watched people like you who tout their miniscule accomplishments and think they've directed their mental energies towards things that are oh so practical, and oh so meaningful. Oh yes, and their every thought is oh so grounded and intelligent.

These very people fail to understand the underpinnings of what the world actually is. They fail to make accurate judgements on their own, and they fail to quickly control for error with simple and effective heuristics that work over a wide variety of contexts. These are the people you see fall by the wayside in any but the most manicured contexts, and these are the people you see get played while thinking it's them who knows what's really going on.

Don't be a delusional twit. Don't be afraid to think about what things are and learn about the world and yourself. It's worth it, and in more ways than just survival. People talk about mathematical beauty, but I see this as an equal proxy to seeing the grand beauty in all things.
>>
>>7724665
>Absolute nothingness is impossible to comprehend
No it's not. Why does everyone always say this do they even know what it means?
>>
It seems absurd to think that our brains just evolved into what they are by themselves. The sheer complexity needed for a living being to experience consciousness is mind boggling.
>>
>>7724675
Try to imagine absolute nothingness, oh wait you cant and nothing can imagine complete nonexistence.
>>
>>7724682
>oh wait you cant
top tier arguing m8
>>
>>7724645
I figured even if looking at something did effect it somehow it would probably be so ridiculously minor as to be moot but that makes sense.
But now I have the image of a flashlight that shoots bowling balls into a door at ridiculous speeds stuck in my head.
>>
>>7724514
why does this sound so familiar
>>
>>7724668
I'll grant you a response since you spent so much effort into that:
1) You're saying that you are/have been a bum and that because you survived and are posting on 4chan now you have a better understanding of "what the world actually is". I counter that your lack of understanding of the world and inaccurate judgement of situations led you to becoming a bum and having to walk 40 miles a day. I wonder which one makes more sense :^)

2) The underpinnings of world: physics, mathematics, finance and economics. I'd say the top uni engineering student with a cushy IB job offer knows more about these, probably because of a less delusional approach to life after school.

3) "manicured conexts" - presumably everything except living on the streets.

4) Who's afraid of thinking? How big a faggot do you have to be to be scared of your own thoughts?

5) The rest of your post is hacked together spiritual mumbo jumbo in the same category as homeopathy and buddhism.
>>
>>7724695
I mean, it is ridiculously minor.

Until you get to really, really, really tiny things, like individual electrons, which is where QM actually applies.

If you want some really silly physics, take a look at

http://what-if.xkcd.com/

Some interesting ones included the consequences of a pitcher throwing a baseball at 99% the speed of light, or a proton-earth and electron-moon and the absolutely ridiculous physical consequences and back-of-the-envelope numbers.
>>
>>7721489

faith; "know thyself" as life as such

see Einstein's quote;

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Physics#/media/File:Optical-dispersion.png

and;

http://educ.jmu.edu//~omearawm/ph101willtobelieve.html
>>
>>7724682
Yes I can.
>>
>>7724727
1. A proper understanding of how this grand machine functions would afford you the perspective to realize a given individual only has a finite spectrum of choices, and many of their starting conditions and mediating factors are not strictly under their control. Again, you have and continue to demonstrate poor understanding of the real world and what life can be and become. You show little ability to recognize this and adapt, our conversation going forward will likely continue to demonstrate this.

2. The underpinnings of the world are physics and psychology. Finance and economics are subsets of the latter, and more broadly neurology and ecology. Someone once compared the ceremony associated with graduation and becoming a PhD with faith healing and religious induction. During this act, the individual is transformed and immediately forgets how to generate two important phrases. "I don't know" and "I was wrong". The inability to pull information from many sources and recognize wisdom therein, again, speaks to your myopia. The unfortunate part is it's self imposed.

Reverse engineering others is engineering yourself. It's dualistic, the two can rarely be decoupled.

3. Manicured contexts does mean the more trodden paths, but it also refers to the familiar. People who are unwittingly limited break down under unfamiliar demands.

4. Not fully sure what you mean by this. The problem isn't being afraid of yourself, it's being afraid of change and becoming.

5. There is absolutely nothing about my post that is spiritual. This part I'm willing to call outright moronic. Shape up. Shape down. Shape left, right, here, and there. Shape to anything other than what you are right now, because it's broken.
>>
>>7724749

you can imagine it like you can imagine infinity + infinity, or negative infinity

abstractions only

abstractions, in fact, that are merely subsets within positive existence
>>
>>7724762
No, I can imagine nothingness.
>>
>>7724750
basically, you're saying that you're a really clever guy who had no choice but to do lots dumb things because the situation was out of your control (for your whole life presumably).

you've also said that I didn't manage to distill the essence of truth (that is supposedly somewhere in there) from the bullshit in your last post and that I'll continue to do so. That's a handy cop out, why don't you distill the message for me into a single sentence instead of insisting you're a genius and everyone else is too stupid to recognise it?
>>
>>7724775
I've insisted no such thing. Yet another manifestation of the core issue in your mindset, an inability to tell the difference between what's likely realty, and your own ideas. ie, shit you made up and projected on the world. That's what philosophy and understand your own psychology is for, being able to tell the difference. Something you've not only ignored, but are proud of.

If you can't understand what I'm telling you by now, there's probably not much I can say. Ask questions that only you can truly answer for yourself. Don't ignore and avoid philosophy. Don't let your environment thus far define what you can be and think. Very few people naturally have your disjointed attitude.

Whatever you do, hope it's the right thing for you.
>>
>>7724668
>I've known people like you, and I've watched people like you who tout their miniscule accomplishments

Aren't you doing the same right now?
Talking about your intellegence and such.
>>
>>7724795
you must have a really big pile of bullshit you need to get rid of asap with the way you're dishing it up.

go to /b/ m8 then you can shitpost about being a homeless crackhead without being called a faggot
>>
>>7724668
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I've used my intelligence to understand the world, and generate mental structures that allowed me to survive being homeless in subzero temperatures going days without food or water, and can walk 40 confirmed miles in a single day in those very conditions that you likely believe yourself immune to falling into.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top intellectual in the entire world. You are nothing to me but just another person who touts their minuscule accomplishments. I will wipe you the fuck out with intelligence the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am discovering mathematical beauty and unraveling a proxy to seeing the grand beauty in all things, so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your knowledge about the world. You’re fucking delusional, kid. I can know anything, anytime, and I can disprove you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in learning about the world, but I have access to the entire collection of beauty in all things and I will use it to its full extent to school your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you delusional twit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your failure to make accurate judgements on your own, and your failure to quickly control for error with simple and effective heuristics that work over a wide variety of contexts was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking delusional, kiddo.
>>
>>7724796
In a way. I'm probably as limited and broken as the person I'm speaking to. What my rhetoric is centered around is made obvious if you look at what started this conversation.

>>7724805
It's bullshit if you think it is, it's not if you don't. :^)

Knowing what you think you're eating is handy though.
>>
>>7721489
You are a stupid faggot for making a thread like this. Just take a look at the kind of retard you're bringing into /sci/, jesus christ. This thread is a goddamn mess, can the semi-resonable people here stop baiting the popsci idiots so much? Fuck you.
>>
>>7724824
probably more limited though seeing as you're the neet
>>
>>7724821
This is one of the best things I've read all year.
>>
File: laughing_croos.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing_croos.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
>>7724668
>>7724821
lmao
>>
>>7724821
Godspeed
>>
>>7724465
>suffer with social interaction
>cancel the third impact
>suffer again with social interaction ( he tried to kill asuka)

Shinji is autistic
>>
>>7721489
Make the switch from pot to amphetamines and throw in a little meditation. <3
>>
How strange it is to be anything at all, OP
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.