[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>pic related Is there any way to get actually good at this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 9810681364.jpg (28 KB, 560x648) Image search: [Google]
9810681364.jpg
28 KB, 560x648
>pic related

Is there any way to get actually good at this? I mean, Jesus Christ, I am absolutely fucked at this particular course and at this point, I just want to pass, but even that sounds like a far fetched goal right now.
>>
>>7720714
Is implying that statics is difficult a new meme to draw out major politics fuckwits now? This same thread was posted almost verbatim 2 days ago.
>>
>>7720714
only if you believe that jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
>>
>>7720714

Get good at matrix algebra and vector geometry
>>
File: 1448029749931.jpg (55 KB, 587x663) Image search: [Google]
1448029749931.jpg
55 KB, 587x663
What sort of engineering are you studying? This is taught in the 1st 3 weeks of first semester physics. All you gotta do is take into account is force in the x,y and z direction and any moments.
>>
>>7720756
Thinking that's all there is to Statics is like thinking memorizing the standard model is all there is to particle physics though as I'm typing this I realize you're OP and I've just been baited fuck me...
>>
>>7720714
Method of sections. Method of sections. Method of sections.

If you are having difficulty it is because you did not grasp that concept. Go back and study that again.
>>
>>7720714
If you're shit at statics/mechanics you might as well drop out now. Holy shit, those are barely even fucking sophomore courses.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-14+at+05.21.22).png (88 KB, 646x574) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-14+at+05.21.22).png
88 KB, 646x574
>>7720714
Chem E senior who got a C in this class in freshman year here
In principle this class is dead easy,
sum the moments set it equal to zero
sum the forces set it equal to zero

What fucks people over is the details, i.e projecting vectors in 3d, directional cosines, should the forces/moments be positive or negative, defining the coordinate system, and maybe shear force/bending moment diagrams and shit like 2/3 force members, method of sections and that other shit

pic related, typical statics problem
>>
>>7720850
Do Cartesian coordinates come up literally anywhere else?

Hell, I'm a senior in Structural and still haven't touched 'em since.
>>
>>7720861

Yes, I used them for fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and mass transfer problems. The coordinate system has a huge impact on the formulation and the solution to many differential equations that describe physical phenomena. Pretty much any time you are dealing with vectors it is very important.
>>
>>7720850
I had a hard time with the load diagrams to be honest.

I mean sure it sounds easy in hindsight, but not having taken DEs before Statics I didn't even know what a boundary condition was.

I put very little effort into the subject overall, but it's not as easy as it seems at first sight.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.