[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think about technology singularity? Do you think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: meme infograph.jpg (29 KB, 400x407) Image search: [Google]
meme infograph.jpg
29 KB, 400x407
What does /sci/ think about technology singularity? Do you think it's just a meme? And if not, do you look forward to it?
>>
It's definitely a meme and I doubt anything abrupt will happen.
>>
File: 1414463339650.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1414463339650.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
>>7720683
BRUH ARE YOU STOOPID GOOGLE JUST CREATES A

QUAAANTUM COMPUUUUTER

THAT GOES 1 TRILLION TIMES FASTER THAN THE FASTEST SUPER COMPUTER WE HAVE. THE SINGULARITY IS ALREADY HAPPENING BRO
>>
>>7720674
It's meme if your implying a Kurzweil tier singularity where AI jesus will magically solve all our problems, but our technological progression will keep progressing on the current exponential for a while I think (obviously the implication of an infinitely fast expanding technological progression at the "singularity" point is impossible though).
>>
>>7720674
if you mean 'the singularity' in the sense ray kurzweil and his ilk use it, definitely a meme and not worth discussing.

if you mean 'the singularity' as in the point past which we can't accurately extrapolate or make good predictions, that is an interesting idea and worth discussing
>>
>>7720674
You win the award for the worst graph of all time
>>
File: singularity.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
singularity.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
>>7720674
>>>/x/
>>
>>7720674
you will know the singularity has arrived when your mother receives a nice double-penetration by me and mr. charlie sheen.
>>
>>7720733
What the f*ck, man? I come on this board trying to bring some nice discussion and you just come here and try to derail it! Apologize now!
>>
ten million times, this:
>>7720732
The singularity is like people claiming japan will be empty and have zero population eventually because muh birthrate, muh declining population
Observing a trend doesnt mean it goes on forever
>>
>>7720737
>f*ck
Nice touch.
>>
>>7720737
pussy
>>
>>7720733
shitpost of the year
>>
>>7720752
You're momma
>>
It's the adoption curve for cities and writing and will level off when we reach superorganism, like ants.
>>
>>7720737
shitpost of the year.
>>
this graph seems to imply that technological advance slows time
>>
It won't happen. It's harder for an AI smarter than us to make an AI smarter than itself, at most it's just a convergent infinite series

humans 100iq
first AI 150 iq
AI made by first AI 175 IQ
AI made by first AI made by first AI 187.5 IQ
etc
etc
etc
>>
>>7720761
>>7720753
So which one is it
>>
File: singularity is near.webm (2 MB, 698x662) Image search: [Google]
singularity is near.webm
2 MB, 698x662
>>7720674
>>
>>7722948
I laughd more than I should of :^)
>>
>>7720732
The green one is what singularity people actually believe. The ones that aren't retarded anyway.

The ones that believe this nebulous "progress" will be infinite are the true believers. Those of us that are trying to ride those people and their support to top-tier technology as fast as possible are like their clergy.
>>
what would the singularity be? code using machine learning to write itself more efficiently?
>>
>>7722938
its the second one. The second one is shitpost of the year.
I dont know what happened but either I was high on sleep deprivation and forgot to delete a post or it decided to preform mitosis.
>>
>>7720732
>>7723088
See the green "technically possible but too good to be true" curve? The part where it quickly ticks up before flattening out again is the singularity.
>>
>>7723232
Forgot to add: It's just more of the same shit. Maybe AI gets better, but the main thing is just the snowball effect created when we keep recombining our old tech to make new tech more easily. Each step takes no more effort than the last in some sense, but at this point we're still picking up speed with each new generation of tools.
>>
>>7723232
>>7723238

Even computing has a thermodynamic limit, sadly.

>The end of Koomey's law

>By the second law of thermodynamics and Landauer's principle, irreversible computing cannot continue to be made more energy efficient forever. As of 2011, computers have a computing efficiency of about 0.00001%.[8] Assuming that the energy efficiency of computing will continue to double every 1.57 years, the Landauer bound will be reached in 2048. Thus, after 2048, the law could no longer hold.

>With reversible computing, however, Landauer's principle is not applicable. With reversible computing, though, computational efficiency is still bounded by the Margolus–Levitin theorem. By the theorem, Koomey's law has the potential to be valid for about 125 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koomey's_law#The_end_of_Koomey.27s_law
>>
>>7723295
>we still have 30 or so years if not a lot more since progression never stays the same
At least it will be within my lifetime. Buy honestly I think the limit will likely be reached in maybe 2070-2080 since progress can slow down and this technology is rarely released to the public soon enough if not affordable.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.