[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why am I me? Why I am living from this particular perspective,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: silhouette.jpg (14 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
silhouette.jpg
14 KB, 610x400
Why am I me? Why I am living from this particular perspective, not some other or all of them?
Why of all possible moments of the timeline I appeared exactly then, not some other time?
I'm not trying to sound edgy or something, and I know there is no definite answer, but I want you to share your thoughts
>>
>>7720357
Why are you such a faggot? Why do you think it's a good idea to post your pseudophilosophical dribble here? What exactly do you want to hear? Pop philosophers spewing shit and trying to act smart?

Your question is senseless. Any answer will be even more senseless.

Any answer other than go away.
>>
>>7720366
I'm a software engineer, family
>>
>>7720374
Yeah, so? Fucking code monkeys fucking the board up.
>>
>>7720394
>Yeah, so?
that means I'm retarded and I ask retarded questions
>>
>>7720366
>>7720394
>Pop philosophers spewing shit and trying to act smart

you're such a shithead mate. you really need to get laid.
>>
>>7720428
>Defending pop philosophers who spew shit and try to act smart
Why would you? Would you happen to be one of them anon? Do you FUCKING love science too, hmm?
>>
File: is this.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
is this.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>7720357
>>
>>7720439
It's not "pop" philosophy, it's just philosophy. Philosophical discussions are very important and can improve the world just as much as hard science research. In fact, some of the greatest scientists have spent a lot of time on philosophy, such as Boltzmann. You're just a buttmad hard science major who doesn't understand the importance or study of philosophy.
>>
>>7720357
Because you are you. There isn't any other way. How could your brain percieve something that is isn't connected to?
>>
>>7720470
I will shit on pop philosophers just like I shit on pop scientists, you irrational faggot. I happen to like philosophy quite a bit, i'm obviously complaining about the shitty poppy continental variety here, hence the "pop" prefix.

You really need to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>7720477
hello
why is it my brain though?
>>
>>7720490
It is not your brain, you are the brain.
>>
>>7720484
But these are actually important questions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind
>>
>>7720499
why am I this brain?
>>
>>7720511
Because you are not me.
I asked myself the same question 7 years ago.
What might shed some light on this..
Do you think that 'your' brain became consciouness or that a consciouness entered your body?
>>
>>7720504
If you think the question posted by the OP is in any form related to valid questions just because it has the same buzzwords, you're exactly the shitty kind of wikipedia philosopher I'm talking about.
>>
>>7720526
Answer me this, am I bad for asking a question?
>>
>>7720526
It's indirectly related along with problems of identity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_(philosophy)
>>
>>7720357
If I think about this sort of stuff, I get some serious euphoric feels and it's been that way for my entire life even at like 7 years old I remember thinking this shit.
>>
File: engineer-1024x640.jpg (73 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
engineer-1024x640.jpg
73 KB, 1024x640
>>7720357
This is /sci/, we solve practical problems, not problems like "what is beauty", for that would fall under the privy of your conundrums of philosophy.

You might try >>/his/

For the only legitimate answer you will receive here is:
>Build more gun
>>
>>7720565
His question isactually be a subject in neurobiology, which is a science.
Redirect yourself away from this thread.
>>
What is it, the exact thing that causes people to ask this question? You will never find an answer if you have attached false assumptions to the purer form question.

For example, how do you know that you aren't me if you don't know me? Why do you think you completely know yourself? If you know a sword sufficiently, does it not become you?
>>
>>7720591
>If you know a sword sufficiently, does it not become you?
*Cringe*
>>
>>7720428
He's right though.
>>
>>7722571
Cringe all you want, they're entirely correct. Body is a concept.
>>
>>7722600
Body is a concept, so is a sword, and they are not the same.
>>
>>7722734
You get your arm cut off. You devise some mounting scheme involving the bone binding with it and skin healing around onto its surface, and attach a prosthetic. You use it every day. It's somewhat crude, but works well enough. Has a cable attached to the remaining muscle in your upper arm and can grasp objects. It's the hand you see pick things up, it's the limb you see when you awaken. It's not the "original", but it's always with you.

It's your arm. Even the original's own particles had been entirely replaced and it has been extensively remodeled since your birth. The only thing making it the original was your perception of gradual change. It's an illusion.

Likewise. You consider where your body begins and ends to be obvious and easy to define with consistency. You consider to know the number of vital organs you possess, constantly keeping you alive. But what else is required to keep you alive? Why is your heart your organ, but not the sun? Without it, the system you see as "you" could not continue to exist. Same with clothing to survive cold temperatures. Have you augmented this hazy idea of the "actual" you, with a removable shell? Or has it become part of you in that moment. Is your house part of this "you", keeping you ticking along.

Of course it is. The body isn't even like a waterfall, it's a grand rhizome that extends further than you ever know.
>>
>>7720484
You are so fucking special , now fuck off this board you narcissistic dumbass and don't bump threads you don't like
>>
>>7720357
How do you know that you are just living from your perspective?
>>
>>7720366
>Why do you think it's a good idea to post your pseudophilosophical dribble here?
It appears you failed to see the difference between a question and a declaration. What, pray tell, brings you to /sci/ ?

>>7720357
>Why am I me?
There are two possibilities, each with a different outcome, one of which is a null. As this:
1: if you are you then you get to ask this question simply because you have a mind that can distinguish yourself from others.
2: if you are not you (say you were a hive mind or telepathic with fuzzy borders for consciousness) then you would not be you and you would not be asking this question.

From this it follows that you and only you are living from your particular perspective.

I think most people ask this question at least once in their lives.
>>
>>7720357
Because of global warming
>>
>>7720557
Yeah, I've gotten this before (although I don't get it anymore, got it when I was younger). Like I realize I am THIS concious oberserver and I am the only true observer..

I remember reading on Wiki that this is an actual phenomenon called a "brief lapse of conciosness" or some shit and it being a symptom of some shit maybe. I remembered reading what it was but then forgetting and never being able to find it. Maybe I just dreamt in. If anybody knows please tell me, I'd like to do some further reading.
>>
Why do we have integer conscious
Why one perspective (you or me), why not a fraction?
>>
>>7722904
>you are you because you are you.
>>
>>7722931
U ever do ketamine bro? Fraction conciousness
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.