[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hurrdur you are so smart for doing (insert STEM field). >Hurdurr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1443622054076.jpg (9 KB, 228x210) Image search: [Google]
1443622054076.jpg
9 KB, 228x210
>Hurrdur you are so smart for doing (insert STEM field).
>Hurdurr I'm not as smart as you.
>Hurrdurrr math is hard.

Isn't this just a bad excuse for being lazy?

Will these people be jobless in 20 years /sci/?
>>
>>7719939
joke's on you, I'm jobless right now
>>
>>7719939
honestly being lazy and smart is worse than not being lazy.
>>
>>7719944
same here
>>
>>7719951
I'm in this boat, honestly how likely is it that I will be able to relearn all the mathematics that I missed so I can be able to compete with those who have been doing it since always? Are there any examples of people who were able to do that?
Sorry, if that sounds stupid. I used to be pretty good in maths, but then got "distracted", by personal stuff etc. So I am not sure if my brain is has reached it capabilities yet and it will be just a waste of time or not.
Like learning a language at young age is way easier than when older.

sorry if my english isn't that comprehensive, non naitive here.
>>
>>7719973

you can learn it if youre smart enough

though in all likelihood if youre lazy when youre 18, 20 or w/e then youll probably continue being lazy, you could simply be a not particularly driven person

you can also learn a language relatively easily when youre older - if youre pretty good at your native language and not an idiot you can learn a related language in 6 months (like spanish to french etc) again if youre not a lazy shit
>>
>>7719982
19 here so still relatively young, I was just curious in general. I already started relearning it, and I'd say I am smarter than the average, but that doesen't mean alot if you are unable to use your intelligence properly.

I am just kinda afraid that when I go to Uni that I will still be too bad for it, since the people there have some years advantage over me. (Of course this also depends on how hard I try)

And this is true, but it also depends on how many languages you already know, and at what point of skill you consider it beeing able to speak the language.
>>
File: 1449277370722.jpg (331 KB, 1608x2001) Image search: [Google]
1449277370722.jpg
331 KB, 1608x2001
The way I look at it, mathematics and science is a specific skill set. Very rarely do people in these fields really make groundbreaking discoveries that influence the human race. For the most part, we're just people using a skill set to make some positive output that gets us money.

For this very reason, I think it's foolish to think down on anyone for not having some experience at some arbitrary skill. For the very seem reason though, I can't fucking stand when people call me a "math wizard" or any of that shit because it's demeaning to the concept that I put in tons of fucking work into getting good at mathematics. I still do not consider myself a mathematician and consider myself more of a person who does mathematics. When I successfully answer a question, it's because I've fucking done hundreds of similar ones before and have a lot of practice. When I do not answer successfully, I get some bullshit "OH I THOUGHT YOU WERE SMART HUE HUE". No. I'm not smart. I just haven't fucking practiced something like this before and haven't been given the ample amount of time to consider the problem.

God why are people so fucking stupid. I work on a farm now because I'm so fucking tired of modern perception of math and science. Even then my coworkers still call me a "math wizard" regardless of the fact that not a single one of them has even seen me do any mathematics whatsoever.
>>
>>7719973
You're gazillionth guy who's "smart but lazy". I call these people losers.
>>
>>7720010
There is a new art of back handed compliments that was born from the need of political correctness. If people can't hurt you directly, they will hurt you indirectly.

The idea that 'an ability to do something takes practice' is instilled within us since our pre education years. Most people as adults understand this idea. But when we reach a certain age we have to gauge our life and make decisions on which skills we practice and the associated tradeoffs. I am assuming you practiced your math skills. Other people chose family, entertainment, and relationships rather than the choices you made.

For this reason, most people want to know that the decisions they have invested into are correct. It doesn't matter if all logic and evidence points otherwise, people will act defensively towards their decisions. When they see a skilled person in mathematics they will see you as an alternative that they did not utilize. Some people will become defensive and start attributing your skills to magic and applying your specific skillset as something that negatively affects others. Some will mock that skill or point out and flaws in your skill. There are a plethora of defense mechanisms people use to justify their lifestyle. From my experience, only a few will want to learn about your expertise or view it as a learning opportunity.

By changing your lifestyle because of others means you are changing your way of living based on other people's desires. People dislike what is not familiar to them and it takes a special kind of person to embrace uniqueness. Don't let them win
>>
I like these people. They remind me I went from learning pre-algebra to ODEs all while in college.
>>
>>7720039
Your words are wise, and it makes me happy to see understanding employed elsewhere on this board.

Frustrations with other people aside, there is a lot more to my decision to give up on mathematics. For one, my brain really doesn't work that way. I do not wake up in the morning and think about mathematics. I have to force myself to think about it. Excess amount of rational thought--which I may be good at--depresses the fuck out of me. Honestly, I've become too good at being rational for how much of an emotional person I am. It's painful to myself, and I need a job that makes me feel good emotionally.

With that in mind, I appreciate what you are saying, but I think I made the right decision in foregoing a career in mathematics.
>>
File: 1442508116747.jpg (55 KB, 514x509) Image search: [Google]
1442508116747.jpg
55 KB, 514x509
>tfw thinking about nothing but mathematics literally from the moment when I wake up to the moment I go to sleep
>"oh anon it all comes so naturally to you, I wish I was good at something like you!"
>>
>>7719996

well you have plenty of time so i wouldnt worry, and i mean full fluency in a language. i attained full fluency (can now write and talk at a high level, i now get paid to do so as well) in spanish in 6 months doing a couple hours each day and only taking a handful of one to one lessons, but i feel i may have a natural ability for languages - ive been learning french for a couple of months now too and am progressing faster than i did with spanish (i feel at least), though the real test would be if i was to try something like arabic or chinese

i would say one thing - do not be afraid to fail, you may not be the smartest person in the room, or the most able at a particular field, but it does not matter so much. there will be people better than you at pretty much everything, this is life, concentrate on making yourself the best that you can be
>>
>>7719939
I get these remarks from other STE people when I say I do theoretical physics. Feels good tb'h. I always respond in a humble way though
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.