[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the FUCK haven't we made airships yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: airships.jpg (61 KB, 636x356) Image search: [Google]
airships.jpg
61 KB, 636x356
Why the FUCK haven't we made airships yet?
>>
Hindenburg
>>
>>7719595
Blimps are different
>>
File: airship_one.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
airship_one.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>7719592
they look a bit different today
>>
>>7719598
And nuclear power is different to Chernobyl.
>>
Very Slow, cant manoeuvre, Slightest hit kills it, easy target. If you want to make it withstand anything it will cost you the ability to fly. One jet can kill as many of them as it has ammo. Maybe they are good for luxury but not for any battle purpose. And the price, don't even get me started.
>>
>>7719592
>Why the FUCK haven't we made airships yet?

Uh, we have. Like, 100 years ago. They were big in the 1930s until airplanes made them obsolete for virtually all applications.
>>
>>7719592
>Why the FUCK haven't we made airships yet?
1) We have.
2) They're shit.
>>
>>7719653
>so instead of carrying a one, which is a bit confusing to
pictureforants.jpg

If that's a swimming pool, there's no way that size airship could lift that much water.
>>
>>7719700
ran 23 years till 2000, produced a shitton electricity , i dont see anything wrong with it . i mean that particular power plant caused a bit more pollution then average but all the world's hundreds of nuclear power plants together pollute less then one fossil fuel plant .
>>
>>7719592
We need to master nuclear fusion to produce enough helium first.
>>
>>7719765
>i dont see anything wrong with it
The accident was caused by a serious design flaw.
It relied on its own electricity to run the coolant pumps.
facepalm.jpg
>>
>>7719765
>ran 23 years till 2000, produced a shitton electricity

RBMK reactors are flawed due to the design itself. The Russians were crazy to operate the second one at Chernobyl after the accident...let alone build such a reactor in the first place.

As anon said in >>7719813 the reactor was poorly designed, mainly due to what ultimately caused the disaster to occur in the first place: poorly designed coolant pumps/pipes. And it lacked an independent electrical system should it fail. I surmise engineers were somewhat aware of this problem--which is why I they were trying to do the test in the first place. Nevermind the timing of the test, or who was sitting at the controls, but I digress.
>>
>>7719592

We have.

They use helium. Which is much safer than hydrogen (it's an inert gas, whereas hydrogen gas is--well...you know....flammable).

Helium is much more expensive due to its relative scarcity. So all you see are blimps hovering over stadiums promoting some shitty overpriced product.
>>
>>7719598
The Hindenburg was a rigid hulled Zeppelin, not a lousy blimp.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.