[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Psychology really a science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: therapist.jpg (28 KB, 600x459) Image search: [Google]
therapist.jpg
28 KB, 600x459
Is Psychology really a science?
>>
Don't be a penne.
>>
>lmao! who the fuck would believe the thousands of psychologists and psychiatrists with thousands of combined experience and lab time?! obviously someone like me who has taken phys 1 and 2, and organic chemistry knows psychology ISNT a real science! fucking pseudo idiots! xD
>>
>>7719524
The only valid thing to come out of psychology is approaching neurology from the top down. Testing for cognitive heuristics, ways people tend to respond and what that indicates about what's going on in their mind and driving their behaviors, finding hardwired bottlenecks, like those with linguistic processing, thinking about memory subsystems, etc.

But that's the beginning and the end. All the rest is "mental illness", the belief of which is itself is a delusion of the mentally ill. The more people who are dismissive of this, the better. Maybe society will figure out why it's so ailed and begin to become an environment that helps people with issues. We're passed the point of witch doctors having any use whatsoever. They're an old world relic that ought to fuck off+die.
>>
>>7719528
>I took intro to psych and I know every fault of the field and everything it is good at proving, the post
>>
>>7719532
I dropped out of high school and have no higher education.

I'm honest. It's your turn to be the same.
>>
Less than 50% of studies can be replicated, so no.
>>
I don't trust psychology as a science because the outcomes of experiments generally support whatever beliefs the researchers hold.
>>
>>7719542
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment
>People think anyone should readily take this seriously
It wasn't more than 60 years ago these whackjobs were running around lobotomizing everything in sight and talking up the procedure as a great solution. All to mask their failure to solve even the most base problems, and the overflow of mental institutions.

Then all that ECT garbage. Huh, wonder what happens if we lots of DC through from this angle, what about from here? No, no. It just lost its memory of nearly two decades. Also caused widespread seizures and blood brain barrier permeability... Let's use a sine wave instead. Huh, it did that. Wonder what it means! Pulses? At this rate? AH. Now we're getting there! This looks like it works! Don't mind us, we know what we're doing... now if you'll just lie down I'll administer a muscle relaxant... GOSH IT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS BUT I'M SO INTRIGUED AND IT'S KINDA FUN! We can treat mental patients like guinea pigs, cuz they're broken!

What a joke. Oh look, we found some weird stuff some people's brains do. Let's label it a mental illness so they feel unhealthy and maligned, and society looks upon them as defective. Bipolar type 2? Better get your lithium, we'll convince you that you like it. Can't get by with your meds? That's right, say it. "My meds. I... yep, that's it. IIIIIIII, neeeeedddd, my meds. I need my meds. Good boy. I assure you there are no other solutions nor meaningful avenues for your life's choices to bring you down. You are diseased and broken for life. See you next month."

These people are not only myopic, but severely ill. If a psychiatrist isn't working strictly in the realm of theory, lock it up. Can't have dangerous nutjobs like these running loose.
>>
>>7719549

>It wasn't more than 60 years ago these whackjobs were running around lobotomizing everything in sight and talking up the procedure as a great solution. All to mask their failure to solve even the most base problems, and the overflow of mental institutions.

This.

Fuck psychology and psychologists. Kill them all.
>>
>>7719553

And psychiatrists.
>>
Well now it is not but what about 100 years ago, when they actually did awesome tests on retards and homo's to cure them? I would call that a science, but since we are all like 'muh human values' it changed to a non-scientific study. Now it is just observing human behaviour and putting the data in huge datasets so that on one day when the clonehuman is allowed (which was never a true human and is therefore not existing) we can do some sirius tests with more than 100 years of preparation and observations to look if we were right...
>>
>>7719554

Thanks, Tom.
>>
I'm not an expert in Psychology, but I really like Feynman's approach towards defining a "science".

"Social science is an example of a science which is not a science; they don't do [things] scientifically, they follow the forms—or you gather data, you do so-and-so and so forth but they don't get any laws, they haven't found out anything."

I think this paragraph should be used as a definition of a science, i.e., a field can be regarded as a scientific field once you can make predictions from laws, i.e., which are always true. This just isn't the case in Psychology. There are just too many outliers in the data.
>>
Unlike those stagnant hard sciences, the soft sciences move along with the times!
>>
No, it's fucking retarded and based 90% on intuition. Neuroscience helped me much more
>>
>>7719549
The problem is that psychology exists as a separate field of science. It should be a branch within neurology when trying to explain neurological phenomena.
>>
>>7719477
I dunno they know some shit like they could tell why am I retarded or something I dunno man. Human behaviour is a big topic you know
>>
>>7719477
psychologist here.
No, it`s a meme and many psychologists actually believe that´s a science.
>>
>>7719477
baka desu senpai, sounds like a question for a true scientist, a philosipher
>>
Everything is science. Nothing is science.
Therefore, science transcends logic.
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (1002 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
1002 KB, 250x251
>>7719477
Of course it's a science.
>>
>>7719534
Well that explains that
>>
>>7719524
>>7719532
DUDE MEME ARROWS
>>
>>7719540
Now apply the same criterion to biology.
>>
>>7719549
Show us on the brain diagram where the psychiatrist mindraped you.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.