[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I created infinite energy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: What_Happens.png (13 KB, 780x615) Image search: [Google]
What_Happens.png
13 KB, 780x615
Let's say I have a perfect sphere with a mirrored interior surface (PSMIS). Then let's say that I have a light-emitting photovoltaic cell (LEPVC) that's is also a perfect sphere. I insert the LEPVC into the exact center of the PSMIS.

Would the LEPVC generate more energy than it expends? The further away the PMSIS walls are from the LEPVC, the more surface area there is, and more surface area means more points for the light to be bounced back to the LEPVC.

Is this not a source of infinite energy? Of course you wouldn't be able to run wires into the PSMIS but you could use wireless energy transference instead (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power).
>>
>>7718725
The mirrors can't be perfect so they will absorb some. Sorry.
>>
>>7718725
no

/thread
>>
>>7718728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y

we're close now, and with the prospect of infinite energy, it seems like a smart goal to work towards.
>>
>>7718730

show your work

explain why
>>
>>7718725
Take a power strip and plug it into itself. Do you have infinite power? Same answer.
>>
>>7718754

that's hardly the same scenario

you have a sphere of a certain size generating light. then it's being reflected by a larger sphere that encompasses the light generating sphere. the larger sphere has a larger surface area, so that's more light being reflected back to the light generating sphere.
>>
>>7718725
>perfect sphere
impossible
>perfect mirrors
impossible
>wireless energy transfer through a perfectly spherical perfectly solid mirrored surface
impossible
>>
>>7718761

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Incorrect_predictions

A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth's atmosphere.
>>
File: 28-fingers-in-ears[1].jpg (63 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
28-fingers-in-ears[1].jpg
63 KB, 460x276
>>7718763
>>
>>7718725
Christ this is easy. At best the cell absorbs the same amount of light it emits. A mirror is not an amplifier. Some gets lost as heat converting to electricity. Not even unity.
>>
>>7718725
>light-emitting photovoltaic cell
Lolwut
>>
>>7718725
>Would the LEPVC generate more energy than it expends? The further away the PMSIS walls are from the LEPVC, the more surface area there is, and more surface area means more points for the light to be bounced back to the LEPVC.

Why would that mean that it generates more energy than it expends? (spoiler: it wouldn't)
>>
>>7718770
This.
Get off the science board, OP. You're retarded.
>>
>>7718770
>>7718782

it's like you guys didn't even bother to read and comprehend the scenario
>>
>>7718812
>Thing loses x amount of energy as emitted light
>x amount of energy, in the form of light, bounces off mirror and returns to thing
>Thing absorbs x amount of energy
If you subtract 2 from 2 then add 2 do you get 4? Why don't you actually take an intro to physics class and learn why this is stupid yourself.
>>
File: aMislL1.jpg (22 KB, 470x430) Image search: [Google]
aMislL1.jpg
22 KB, 470x430
How do you intend to levitate the cell in the middle of a hollow sphere?
>>
New energy isn't being created. A 100% efficient energy recycler.
>>
>>7718830
magnets
>>
>>7718760
>it has a larger surface area so it (generates light by nature of ???)
this is how stupid you sound

why the fuck do you think you're important enough to save the world?
go learn 1 subject well enough to be called an expert and earn your kicks that way
>>
>>7718967

it looks like somebody can't grasp a simple concept.

the sphere of light in the middle has a certain amount of surface area that light is emitted from. the walls of the mirrored sphere have a greater surface area, meaning more area for the light to reach, meaning more light to be reflected back to the photovoltaic cell.
>>
>bodies don't absorb light

Go away.
>>
>>7718725
Try lighting your entire house with a small LED and a bunch of mirrors. You will find the total light output does not increase by using reflective mirrors. Mirrors can be used to concentrate or focus the light so that it appears brighter when focused. The scheme you show just reflects the light back to the center and will have approximately the same intensity as when leaving the center. You have not created infinite energy with this scheme.
>>
>>7719152
You are trying too hard. No one's jimmies are rustled
>>
>>7718731
>posting this video as a response
Are you a troll? He wasn't talking about the sphere being perfect he was talking about the mirror not perfectly reflecting. All mirrors will absorb some light.
>>
On a semi-similar note I wondered what would happen if I would put a mic near a giant speaker and made some noise. I was expecting some cool infinite mangled sound loop but I forgot that speakers amplify the sound a ton.

My short and silent vocal turned into an extremely loud whistle that in addition to fucking everyones ears in the room up killed off the speaker in a matter of seconds. It happened in a school auditorium with lots of people in it but for some miraculous reason they didn't trace it back to me and I didn't get into shit for it.
>>
>perfect sphere
Stopped reading there
>>
God dammit why are you faggots having so much trouble getting the point across why this doesn't work?
>>7718770
>>7718828
>>7719193
Are the right answers. OP has a misconception that light itself can be infinite, and is only dependent on the surface area of the emitter or reflector. Lets look at simple, hard numbers and generic units, assuming this device is ideal with perfectly efficient components.

Say the central cell emits 16 units of light in one unit of time. 1 unit of light absorbed by the cell can be converted to 1 unit of electricity, which can be converted back to 1 unit of light and emitted again. The perfect mirror can reflect all 16 units of light back to the cell, which will generate 16 more units of light after a couple of perfectly efficient (and redundant) conversions. Those 16 units hit the mirror in a more spread out configuration than they leave the cell, but reach the cell closer together. The only difference the different surface areas make is the density of the light, not the actual quantity.
>>
>>7719817
Then assuming you tap off all 16 units with a perfectly efficient wireless process for use, where are you getting the next 16 units of electricity to restart the cell?
>>
>>7718736
because you're a fucking idiot, thats why. Mirrors aren't perfect, no matter what they will absorb some light.
>>
>>7719867

perfecting mirrors seems like something we should be focusing on then, no? if infinite energy is the end result?
>>
File: 1368273449979.jpg (261 KB, 2400x1735) Image search: [Google]
1368273449979.jpg
261 KB, 2400x1735
>>7720224
Lol.
>>
>>7720248

>"haha memes will discredit his idea!"
>>
>>7718725
Where do you live, anon
>>
>>7720276
If lol is a meme, then so is haha.
>>
>>7718725
Even if you had perfect mirrors, energy won't be created or destroyed. What you're saying is somehow, more energy reaches the mirrors than came out from the light cell. That's clearly impossible, you can easily write the equations for the energy received per area unit and see that it all adds up to the same no matter how far you go.

>>7720276
your idea is a meme anyway. you have nothing creative and you didnt bother doing any math, just a stupid ass drawing and a terrible attitude
>>
>>7720284
I want to know this too. Where are you from, OP ?
>>
File: poo in loo.jpg (38 KB, 748x317) Image search: [Google]
poo in loo.jpg
38 KB, 748x317
>>7720359
probably india, world leader in free energy and other assorted crackpottery
>>
>>7720354
>you can easily write the equations for the energy received per area unit and see that it all adds up to the same no matter how far you go.

in this scenario, the further the light travels, the more surface area it covers. the more surface area that is covered, the more light that is reflected back to the center.

feel free to wow us with your superior intellect by giving us proper diagrams, equations, formulas, etc
>>
Is /sci/ the easiest board to bait? I mean come on lads, have some respect for yourselves.
>>
>>7720465
The more surface area it covers, the less energy is received per unit of area.

The total energy emitted (integral in the outer surface of the small sphere of emitted light per area unit) is equal to the total energy received (integral in the surface of the bigger sphere of the received light per area unit)

If you knew anything about waves and energy you would know this. Your shitty attitude and your unwillingness to look up things before spewing bullshit is appalling.
>>
>>7720494

if everyone on this board would look things up for themselves then the board would have no reason to exist
>>
>>7720465
Hold on though. Obviously the light spreads out as it travels, and you have a larger surface area at the mirror. But then the light is reflected back, and the surface area is shrinking back again as it travels to the LEPVC. So you may get more area at the mirror, but the area at the LEPVC is always constant. I like the way you think though, it was a cool idea.
>>
>>7720508
>>7720507

careful there, you might upset >>7720354
>you have nothing creative
>>
>>7720515
Don't worry about the people who can't think for themselves.
>>
Thermodynamics says no.
>>
>>7720515
No, >>7720508 is objectively right. Stop being an assblasted idiot with no creativity, rigor, or anything of value to put forward.
>>
>>7720508
Finally some coherent physics.
>>
>>7720535
>>7720354

samefag. stay mad and try some hallucinogens or cannabis to help expand your creative side. otherwise you'll bare no fruit of your own.
>>
File: 1441576782345.jpg (76 KB, 657x550) Image search: [Google]
1441576782345.jpg
76 KB, 657x550
>free/infinite energy
>no discernible usage of actual physics
>complete immunity to counter arguments
>supposed close mindedness of opponents
>mentioning of psychedelics
the only thing you're missing now to make this more than just an average troll thread is some full-blown schizoid rambling about the 4th dimension and dark matter all playing a part in it
>>
>>7720604
>the only thing you're missing now
>presents it
>it's no longer missing
>all in the same post

this circular logic. baka desu senpai
>>
>>7720617
you can't just mention it and be done with it
to really make it a proper troll thread you gotta weave it into the framework of the schizo logic you've already established
>>
>>7720627

I haven't mentioned anything, really. Look at the post you quoted. I think it is you who is establishing schizo logic.
>>
>>7718725
This is never possible. Ever. There is no way to create ( or destroy) energy out of nothing. Only to convert it.
>>
>>7720633
>Dealing in absolutes.

I bet you think you're a real free thinker right
>>
People on this board really don't understand conservation of energy do they
>>
>>7720632
This is actually really good bait, Anon! You almost got me, too.

Commendable memeing that would fool just about anyone into thinking you were retarded, I've gotta hand it to you
>>
>>7718725
This is just infinite light if the mirrors are perfect. It is not infinite energy. When you try to extract energy from this it will take some energy away from the light.
>>
>>7718725
>will it generate more energy than it expends
No.
>>
>>7719201
i had left, but i was slightly rustled
why do people do this? such a waste of itme
>>
>>7718725
And this gives you more energy than you out into it how?
>>
>>7721552
it doesn't
>>
File: 1378466317734.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1378466317734.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>7718725

>I think I created infinite energy
>energy
>created
>....

Still, it's important to ask questions anon as it allows others to learn, even if you're wrong.
>>
>>7718725
>inverse square law
>light as a particle
I drop a bunch of marbles in a bowl. When they settle, I have infinite marbles. Bravo op
>>
>>7721622
>If you can't see the marbles, they can compose multiple different amounts of marbles
Can't argue with the ignorant.
>>
its not even infinite energy, if everything was perfect like your feeble mind thinks it would still only hold as much energy as the light thing emits
>>
>>7720494
>>7720465
Rekt
>>
>>7721994
>>7720541
>>7720535
>>7720508

samefag

stay mad
>>
>>7720633
>still believing in conservation of energy
absolute pleb
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.