[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got this shit linked to me on facebook asking how this wouldnt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: lightspeedgears.jpg (55 KB, 939x575) Image search: [Google]
lightspeedgears.jpg
55 KB, 939x575
Got this shit linked to me on facebook asking how this wouldnt or would work, can someone tell me what to comment?
>>
>>7717874
It would break.
>>
>>7717875
What if it's done in a vacuum?
>>
>>7717874
>boundary condition:
the velocity of the small gear at point of contact is exactly equal to that of the large gear at the same point
>>
>>7717879
Friction
>>
File: Facebook physics.jpg (81 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Facebook physics.jpg
81 KB, 1200x900
>>7717874
That's not how physics works.
>>
>>7717874
The material that the gears are mode from transmits motion between its molecules at the speed of sound.

Pretty much the same as the "take a light-year long rod and swing it" idea. The "swinging" of the rod would occur across the rod's length at the speed of sound, so even a perfectly rigid pole would still "sway" as the molecules start shifting laterally one by one along its length.

In this image's case, spinning those gears at light-speed, or even 10% light speed (i assume it's supposed to be 10% even though it says 0.10%) would be like spinning a vat of pudding from the center
>>
>>7717908
All these smart comments, but you don't realize that gears don't speed each other up, that's the simple answer OP needs. The left gear doesn't magically spin faster than the right one, that's impossible and would pull them out of sync.
>>
>>7717919
>being this retarted
>>
>>7717943
you think it spins faster because it completes a revolution faster, but the gears have different radii. if you've ever worked with modelling systems with differential eqs youd know that you have to set boundary conditions, and one of them in this instance is that because one gear is moving the other, their velocities are the same
>>
>>7717919
I realized that about halfway through my post but I was already halfway there so fuck it
>>
File: man-in-dunce-cap.jpg (11 KB, 361x406) Image search: [Google]
man-in-dunce-cap.jpg
11 KB, 361x406
>>7717949

you take a timeout OP
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.