[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not make new water towers taller than needed and use them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 766x1197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 766x1197
Why not make new water towers taller than needed and use them for pumped storage hydroelectricity?
>>
Because the water has to be pumped up there in the first place
>>
>>7717837
Liquid water flow has terrible efficiency and there are countless better ways to store energy.
>>
Look up Dinorwig power station. It pumps water up at night during cheap rates and releases the water during the day to meet peak power demands.
>>
>>7717850
But doesn't pumped storage hydroelectricity make up most of the large scale power storage in the world?
>>
>>7717858
I know storing energy in raised water exists. My question is why not use water towers for it.
>>
>>7717996
I drink the water in those towers. I don't want it dirtied up in your filthy turbines
>>
>>7718002
What if I lick them clean and suck your dick?
>>
>>7717996
I couldn't find a source to save my life, but some guy recently came up with a design for vertical axis water turbines that can be installed inside water conduits to generate power from the flow.
>>
>>7717996

Because there's little point in wasting money building a huge container a hundred meters in the air that can hold a million tons of water when you can just use a hill.
>>
>>7718017
Are you retarded? Water towers exist, faggot. Not everyone lives in hilly areas.

You may somehow be more retarded than OP.
>>
>>7717992
Yeah because dams have enormous reservoirs behind them so even with shit efficiency they store lots of power. A tiny little water tower isn't going to do much in comparison.
>>
>>7717848
>doesn't understand what the word "storage" means
>>
>>7718021

They do exist, and an 80 meter one containing a thousand tons of water has enough potential energy to power a town of 1000 for around 10 minutes.

Just building a power line from the flat place to a hilly one would be far cheaper than building something big enough to cover demand for the busy times.
>>
>>7718021
>>7718064
>Water tower
>the same as a whole lake literally full with potential fluid energy to store hundreds if not thousands of MW of unused energy in
do you have any idea how high the initial cost is for setting up an efficient powerplant?
and you want to bolt this whole mess of maintenance, calculations and build cost onto every single water tower out there?

they are nothing but a bunch of oversized tubes mounted on a tower
the only reason for them to exist in the first place is that a water supply system has to remain pressurized
that's all water towers are form, that's all the application they need, noone wants to maintain a bloody powerplant on these things

do you have even a clue what you're even talking about?
>>
>>7718118
>>7718139

I feel you are perhaps confused. I was making a case against using water towers, or trying to build some kind of vast structure, as a form of pumped storage in flat areas.
>>
>>7718158
I screwed up on the quotes because I took too long to edit my text and completely forgot about them when I hit send
it was only directed at the OP
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.