[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is humanity still evolving? What environmental pressures are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ammonia and bleach.jpg (67 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ammonia and bleach.jpg
67 KB, 500x500
Is humanity still evolving?

What environmental pressures are on us now?
>>
>>7717456
>What environmental pressures are on us now?
Alien invasions destroying civilization.

I'm talking, of course, about shitskins.
>>
We are already devolving.
>>
>>7717456
>Is humanity still evolving?
Yes.

>What environmental pressures are on us now?
In most regions, barely any beyond the most base forms of intelligence. The only thing keeping this grand machine halfway functional is sexual selection. Women and men who are either intelligent enough, or hardwired with a bias towards choosing partners who are highly functioning.
>>
>>7717460
Islam is the Religion of Peace, my friend
>>
>>7717456
>Heart disease lung disease cancer, viruses, genetic disease other untreatable/mortal diseases.
>Car accidents, bullet accidents plane accidents etc
>Polluted cities, processed foods, exotic chemicals
>Being rich and alpha enough to marry

Dinosaurs and other shit lived for millions of years without evolving much though.
>>
Bacteria
Disease
Climate
Sexual Selection
Information Processing
Diet
Air Quality
>>
>>7717467
a peace here, a peace there...
>>
>>7717477
The factors you just described either don't affect breeding potential, or are based mainly on random chance you can't really predict or control for (which I suppose is a measure of how good your innate heuristics and physical attributes are relative to the threat over a given span of time).

Garbage food supply, pollution, chronic sleep deprivation, high levels of psychosocial stresses, etc, don't usually cripple or kill. Most people still manage to breed eventually and die well after they've had kids.

Heart disease is also irrelevant. Beyond early strokes, sudden deaths, etc, either modern medical science can manage it, or it's irrelevant until after reproductive success of some degree.

Intelligence is what is mainly put to the test. I mean really. Look at most of the human race. When was the last time these people had to sprint, overwhelm a threat with brute force or outlast it with endurance? When was the last time any of these people having kids even jogged a short distance? You don't need shit to find something that looks okay then fuck like rabbits for 10 years.
>>
>>7717456
>Is humanity still evolving?

No organism stops evolving.
>>
>>7717508
Well I don't know but I've been told, "You'll never die, you'll never grow old."
>>
>>7717506
You may think it's irrelevant, but over a long time span, small things can make a big difference. If the leading cause of death in young people is car accidents, being naturally more resistant to crashes gives you a better chance of passing on your genes compared to someone who is more prone to dying in crashes.

All sorts of factors are important.
>>
>>7717519
I don't think physical durability or fitness is really at work here. Maybe if some population has some sort of mechanical deficit in their cervical spine that causes a high rate of vertebral artery dissection when whiplashed, that would be relevant. It think what you're seeing is more likely random noise.

The other aspect is understanding why an individual would be in a crash during childhood to begin with. It likely reflect the behavior characteristics of the parent. The outcome of the crash also reflects this to an extent. Intelligence is still the attribute most being selected for.

And luck, whatever this might actually be. My mother had uncanny luck, which is why I didn't die 10 times over before I was even 10, like I probably should have. Maybe subtle behavioral aspects were at work and accumulating over time, maybe the universe is a grand deterministic machine and I simply happened to be tagging along with a particle particlesystem destined for consistent uncanny positive outcomes.
>>
>>7717527
Well for starters:
>Having better reactions
>Better judgment of speed and moving bodies
>being less prone to bleeding out
>being more resistant to blunt trauma
>Have a better protected brain that can resist high degrees of acceleration

Assuming all other things the same, having one of those traits would help you avoid/survive car crashes and be able to pass your superior genes on. Of course in reality every adaptation has a trade off.

Intelligence is important but you have to live to a certain age to be able to use it. There are still humans out there that get genetic diseases and die as babies. That's evolutionary pressure too.
>>
>>7717534
I suppose all that's true. The main reason I'm kind of dismissing it is because this sort of selection deals with outliers. The average individual coming out of any population will have traits clustered in a general area that means most people inc rashes will have comparable capacity for their blood to clot. Or to absorb shock to the head / organ systems. Some of this also reflects intelligence again, as children who have had better nutrition and had access to better food, as well as breast fed, will fare better in all of these aspects. This reflects something about the parents, and potentially, about them as well.

When I say "intelligence" I'm referring to the brain as a complete machine, rather than just its capacity to produce an output in some way. All of the genetic biases, its complete spectrum of possible outcomes and responses to stimuli. This influences their precise state in the moment of a crash.
>>
>>7717514
Modest mouse yeeeeeeee
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.