[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I compile a computer program (say written in C#), what does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: eup-prodigy.png (402 KB, 474x653) Image search: [Google]
eup-prodigy.png
402 KB, 474x653
If I compile a computer program (say written in C#), what does actually physically happen on the harddrive and how is this achieved? Some physical elements must be switched right?

(I'm thinking about this in part because I want to know why people are coming up with programming languages for quantum computers now, what it means to set up the computer and how it's eventually done.
But this thread is only about the first question above.)
>>
>>7717455
>what does actually physically happen on the harddrive

The hard drive stores the data for the program. Processing occurs in the CPU. A program may or may not write data back to the hard drive (i.e., saving a file), but the program data itself generally remains intact.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76 KB, 1417x781) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76 KB, 1417x781
>dumbest question
>mentions C#
>>
Your human readable code is compiled into a binary code composed of machine commands that the CPU can interpret.

This code is a stored as a data file on your HD, which means either as magnetic charges or whatever SSDs use nowadays.
>>
Your computer reads your code from the hard drive and uses RAM for memory.
>>
File: Transistor_Simple_Circuit.jpg (18 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Transistor_Simple_Circuit.jpg
18 KB, 900x900
>>7717455

Computer data is stored in binary code, 1's and 0's.

On the hard drive, the ones and zeroes are represented by tiny magnetized spots written on the metallic surface.

Computer memory, on the other hand stores the same data in literally billions of transistors, each of which is either in an "on" or "off" state.
>>
You write for example in C#.
The assembler/linker/locator translates it into binary code => the cpu is reading the 0's and 1's and is executing the code on it's architecture. The CPU is made from an ALU and a Control Unit.
It gets a bit more complicated like Harvard and Neumann architecture and this stuff, but that's basically it).
>>
>>7717455
Electrons drift around. Disk spins around. Fan twirls around. Phonons, photons produced. Cones stimulated by photon. Ions flow. You see "Hello World OP is a faggot" in a black CLI on the screen.
>>
>>7717533
You are correct if you listen close you can hear a buzzing sometimes. If you don't then smack the pc a few times like what your mom/dad used to to to the TV when there's no signal.
>>
File: MOSFET.gif (5 KB, 556x237) Image search: [Google]
MOSFET.gif
5 KB, 556x237
>>7717455

nmos = physical 0

pmos = physical 1

not sure if this is a norm or a fact any1?
>>
the disks in the hdd act as antennas, receiving instructions from universal messages, the frequencies specified by the unique hashing algorithms of the compiler

writing valid code produces a unique hash of your input program that specifies a corresponding frequency. if your code is wrong, your computer grabs the wrong program off the aether (like robbing the wrong house), and you get errors
>>
>>7717455
well because C# runs on a virtual machine (the dotnet framework or mono) it actually goes Zip Zop Zoobity Bop when compiled.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.