[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math and Drinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Glenfiddich-line-up.jpg (649 KB, 1100x1026) Image search: [Google]
Glenfiddich-line-up.jpg
649 KB, 1100x1026
Do you feel like you're better at rigorous mathematical proof writing when you've had a drink or 2?
>>
>>7715475
>Glenfiddich
not bad/10
>>
>>7715478
ballmer peak

allows you to get to that zone like when you're about to fall asleep, thought of something extremely interesting but are too tired to get out of bed and act on it

this is why having a beer once in a while is good.
>>
>>7715478
>not bad/10

meh, entry level
>>
>>7715956
hence the 'not bad'
>>
>>7715478
>>7715956
Rich faggots.
>>
>>7716244
I tried to buy some scotch last night to celebrate graduating. Knowing little about scotch, set aside $50 for some Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, which I hear are cheaper scotches. I didn't have enough cash to buy either.
>>
>>7716247
Should've gone with Glenmorangie, about $40 a bottle.

In any case, if you're an engineer like me it won't be long before you don't have to be so stingy.
>>
>>7716244
>Rich faggots.

Entry level as in for people who don't know anything yet, not for people who are poor.
>>
>>7715484
>allows you to get to that zone like when you're about to fall asleep, thought of something extremely interesting but are too tired to get out of bed and act on it
Wow, sounds like much!
Psychedelics can turn you into n-dimensional iterative differential geometry that you will experience with all of your senses at once. The mathematician's wet dream, right?
Nah, doesn't really compare to what you described. Better just have some beer.
>>
>>7716253
>Should've gone with Glenmorangie, about $40 a bottle.
Thanks man. I need to make a friend who can give teach me about scotch.
>>
>>7716259
Try being sober with a high person. You'll realize it just sounds cool when you're high. It's actually retard babble.
>>
>>7715475
No, but the haunting of my past failures subsides temporarily.
>>
>>7715475
no, but it helps alleviate the constant fear of failure
>>
>>7716247
Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are very inoffensive beginners whiskies; if its your first it wont be a bad pick, but if youre interested in going deeper down the rabbit hole youll soon be looking for other bottles. Personally Im all about Islay. See if you can get a sample before you buy a bottle, and if you can try Lagavulin 16yo which is my favorite that possibly falls within your budget depending on your location. If you dont like it, try a Talisker, Glenfarclas or Balvenie. All three of those are very different and youll probably like one.
>>
>>7716483
>recommending anything from Islay to a newfag
You'll just turn them off forever, or make them think that scotch is meant to be mixed with a bunch of ice water
>>
>>7716316
Actually, I believe that's true with THC.
But I have been high on LSD while talking about maths, and I still consider some ideas that appeared during that conversation interresting.
>>
>>7716483
I fucking love Ilays, but I think it is it's not the right one to go deeper. Maybe try some Ilse's after trying Lowlands and Speysides.
>>
>>7716521
That said, I gave my friend a bunch of integrals when he was on acid and he slayed them. Correctly.
>>
>>7716547
>>7716483

There are Really good Intro Islays for Newfags, but definitely not on a budget. The lower age statements are just no mellow enough.

I've never met a beginner in Scotch drinking that didn't enjoy Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. The Oban 14 is always a general populace winner and very inoffensive.

If you want a real big time Scotch, however, go for the Bunnahabhain 25 Year. Unbelievably good.
>>
>>7716521
Heard some shit once about Watson figuring out the shape of the DNA molecule while tripping on acid. And I know for a fact that many of the pioneers and driving figures behind the IT industry have a history of psychedelics use. So I'd say there's definitely potential for actually useful conclusions and discoveries there.
>>
>>7716316
>Try being sober with a high person. You'll realize it just sounds cool when you're high. It's actually retard babble.
What sounds cool when I'm high? Some retard's babble? Maybe, maybe not, what does that have to do with what I can experience personally? If my body image along with my whole sense of environment and time gets churned into arbitrary manifolds of at least four dimensions (and all that), my description of the experience won't sound like retard babble to anyone if I use proper mathematical language. If I describe it in plain English, it can sound like retard babble so possibly I should keep it to myself, just to strengthen any formal conceptions with (more) language.
Now, I can't formally describe such experiences very elaborately yet, that's one of the reasons why I'm studying mathematics. I'll keep babbling like a retard for a while.
>>
File: 57tdLmw.png (364 KB, 960x6279) Image search: [Google]
57tdLmw.png
364 KB, 960x6279
>>7716311
Enjoy.
>>
any of you guys ever heard of this Calc Text?
Calculus: Early Transcendentals
Anton, Bevins, and Davis...Not Stewart, but has the same name?
Evidently this is the book my Calc class is using next semester. I all ready have the Stewart book from last Semester, should I even bother picking this one up?
>>
>>7715475
No, it just makes me sleepy.
Try actually thinking and writing shit down instead.
>>
>>7716503
Fair enough, though I stick with the fact that its very well possible to enjoy Caol Ila as an early dram.

>>7716547
Usually I hear people recommending Highland Park, but I dont care about it in particular. I just named some random bottles to span a wide variety of tastes.

>>7716578
Caol Ila 12 my nigga. Ive heard the Bunna 12 is the best considering the pricings of the older releases. The 18 and 25 would be only marginally better than the 12 according to them. Have you had all three?
>>
>>7716578
Will try the Bunnaha-bane

For you
>>
>>7717483
Its Gaelic and not pronounced that way, friend.
>>
>>7715475
>feel like
yes
>actually better
no

that's alcohol for you though
>>
One drink or two? Not sure... Let's do the math:
>>
>>7718342
Sometimes I get brilliant ideas, other times, I look at my work the next morning and think to myself "what the hell was I thinking".
>>
There is this proverb in literature: Write drunk; edit sober. Decreasing the functioning of your brain is not altogether a bad thing for your cognition since much of the brain is inhibitory. Just don't expect to be able to recognize mistakes in your proofs while drunk. Oh, and alcoholism is a thing, be careful with that.
>>
>>7719344
Intredasting
>>
>>7716244
Naw dude it's cheap if you don't make it a habit.

Plus Gelnfiddich in itself is cheap.
>>
>>7717087
Nice list there.
I personally really enjoy a nice sherried cask so Balvenie and Macallan are some of my favorites. I still need to try Aberlour and Glendronach though
>>
>>7720726
Aberlour A'bunadh is the ultimate sub $100 sherried whisky, just a recommendation.
>>
>>7720731
I hear great things about it but some batch issues with the newer ones which is unfortunate.

Maybe they've straightened out the really recent ones because of the complaints. Hopefully.
>>
>>7716483
You should try Ardberg Ugedail if you can get your hands on a Glass/Bottle - its my favorite whiskey and i started more or less with Lagavulin
>>
File: cantor.png (6 KB, 762x201) Image search: [Google]
cantor.png
6 KB, 762x201
>>7715475
I had a professor in college who once confessed, ashamedly, that the closest she'd been to getting drunk was kissing someone who'd had a shot of tequila. I'll never have that level of restraint.

She was brilliant, too, for what it's worth.
>>
I've found that having a shot of vodka followed by a root beer with Captain Morgan gets the scientific juices going.
>>
>>7720889

Which vodka do you prefer?

Pic related is my favorite.
>>
What was Feynman's favorite choice of drink?

odd question but curious
>>
>>7716568
I have experienced this as well. It reaaalllyy depends on the dose and your strength in math though. If you are solid in the math rather than just learning it and take just the right dose, you can do math pretty fast. I have only done this 2-3 times but it is fun.
>>
>>7720929
Do you drink it straight or with soda or something?
>>
>>7715475
Funny enough I was studying last night when a group of friends came over to my dorm. We drank until we were all out of beer, and while they were talking and arguing I had the urge and focus to keep working on my mathematics problems.
>>
>>7722157

Sometimes I mix it with soda or energy drink, other times I drink it straight.

That vodka is so good and pure that you can easily drink it straight all the time though.
>>
Im quite a fan of Cardhu actually, it goes down smoothly and has a nice sweet taste
>>
>>7722182
Vodka's cheap eh? I'm considering switching from whisky to vodka for financial reasons. How long does one bottle last you?
>>
>>7722191
The thing with vodka is that it can either be really amazing to drink or feel like rubbing alcohol. The vodkas that are smooth and nice to drink are going to be more expensive than drinkable whiskies.
>>
>>7722191

Not all vodka is cheap, though cheaper than whiskey in general for sure. Russian Standard is in the higher median price range I believe.

I usually buy a 1 litre bottle and one bottle lasts about a month or a bit more, depending on how often I grab a drink.
>>
>>7720972

Water, since he quit drinking after perceiving he was exhibiting the first stages of alcoholism when he craved a drink at noon when he taught in South America.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.